PDA

View Full Version : FT-86 to be sold under scion brand in america

hachirusto
12th October 2010, 10:33 AM
Will this effect us, is australia doom to not see the ft-86 or will it be brought in as a toyota?

info from http://toyobaru.net/forums/f9/toyota-exec-meetings-confirmed-ft-86-scion-usa-397/

Ive been sitting on this information in disbelief, however we have other confirmations in hand now. According to our inside source at Toyota the FT-86 is going to be released as a Scion in the USA. Toyota and Scion Marketing and Management adjourned across the US this past Tuesday to receive the news. Their reasons behind using Scion is reported as Marketability and pricing structure, Scions as you might know share a fixed pricing structure at all dealerships. If released as a Toyota the FT86 could be suspect to price hikes. In the end it sounded like Subaru and Toyota thought that Scion was the best choice for the FT-86, I strongly disagree.

The report also included that of a 2.5l Engine would make it to production. The current engine "marketed" with the Toyota FT-86 is only a 2.0 liter. The choice of the 2.5l is a good one. However they are also increasing the original entry level price range around $25,000 US.

In the meeting was a 3D hologram of the FT-86, although its not known if it was changed or as the Scion branding. Our source also provided details of the Subaru variant, and I'm afraid to the bad news continues. The Subaru 216a is expected to be released in Euro markets only. We did not receive reports of the other Markets, such as Asia, Australia, Japan. These markets would be more likely to get a Toyota and not a Scion, which isn't an international brand.

The car is expected to be break into US shores at the NY Auto Show this April.

Price Range: $25,000
Expected Date: 2012, after the the Scion IQ.
Engine: 2.5 Liter Boxer
Name: Still undecided, although Likely Scion FR-S
Body Style Changes: Yes, slightly more square.

UPDATE: I had more time with my source and they explained this is Toyota's last ditch move to save the failing brand, Scion. Scion sells well in California, Texas, but not that well anywhere else. I was also told the body design will be slight changed, Toyota doesn't want the FT-86 to compete with the Lexus IS brand so they are making the design a bit more square. More bad news if you ask me.

personally I think toyota aus would be stupid to not bring in the FT-86 and sell it here, it is proven with the VW golf GTI and R32s that young Australians want to own a hot hatch and VW have got a large foothold on the market, I see so many on the roads of Melbourne that there is defiantly a good market for this type of car.

hopefully we do get it as I will be ordering one as long as the specs dont change to much

Garth
12th October 2010, 12:20 PM
As I heard from the mouth of Toyota Australia CEO yesterday at the AIMS press conference, we can expect to see the FT86 in Australia post 2012..

so relax ;).... and start saving

Gunner
12th October 2010, 01:08 PM
Or just build your own :))

Garth
12th October 2010, 05:11 PM
an ae86 with a ej20 does not equal an ft86

Gunner
12th October 2010, 05:23 PM
well there is only a few million dollars more development in the FT86, so they cant be that different can they?

hachirusto
12th October 2010, 05:56 PM
Thx for the ino Garth that is good to hear they will be coming out hmm wonder how much they will be

Anthony
12th October 2010, 06:57 PM
prob the same as the AE86... One and a half commodores :(

enigma
17th October 2010, 05:58 PM
the guy i was talking to at the motor show today said 25k+orc for base and low 30k+ for the upper spec model. but the subaru awd turbo would be about 45+. though id take that with a grain of salt.