PDA

View Full Version : Vic Fires

sonsta
8th February 2009, 10:43 PM
Anyone on here been effected by the big fires down there yet?

hope you guys are all safe and well!!

maxhag
8th February 2009, 11:04 PM
I live in Canberra, and I just saw a burnt out Sprinter on the news! I was horrified!

Obviously, the lives and property are more important, but I was shocked to see the burnt out sprinter (white)(i think)

Not sure exactly where it was, but I hope the owner is ok, especially if they are a club member.....

ae86
8th February 2009, 11:24 PM
i live in melb but overseas on vacation, hopefully that wasnt my sprinter but ye,
going very bad down vic, all over australian news, over 60 passed away n more than 250 houses burnt already, hopefully it ends soon

maxhag
8th February 2009, 11:26 PM
its now 80 confirmed dead and 750-800 houses lost

maxhag
8th February 2009, 11:28 PM
I thought the Canberra fires were bad back in 01, but this completely fucked up....

Sprinter86
9th February 2009, 01:08 AM
I wasnt affected personally, but i could see the glow of the fires at night, and at one point, you could barely see outside because the wind blew in heaps of smoke, pretty worrying stuff!!

A mate lost his investment property in marysville, out of the whole town, 2 houses were left standing.

Odd thing was, we drove through there late on friday night, seemed as normal as ever. you cant recognise the town now.

Intense
9th February 2009, 02:39 AM
Has anyone heard from DavisJD? Pretty sure he lived around the kinglake area

GAKI86
9th February 2009, 05:48 AM
im not sure about jd any one got his number?? should give him a call hows he goin..

drove around yesterday with no aircon at fawkner and smoke was already visible coming from wandong area, all i hear was that helicopter was pacing back and fort!!

it was that crazy hot, my eyes found a way to cool themselves down by crying..

and there were shitload of cars broken down too.. it wouldve sucked to be them!

dustyae86
9th February 2009, 07:51 AM
I grew up sort of near bunyip, haven't heard how them ones are going but a mate's house backs onto the state forest, hopefully him and his family are ok :(

pieman18
9th February 2009, 11:53 AM
This is definately a black week in Vic's history

90% of my uni mates live in areas of Vic that have been affected by the fire

ive heard from all of them except one, its very worrying.

as of this morning the toll is at 111 and 0ver 750 houses lost

if they ever catch the arsonists responsible, i believe an acceptable punishment should be a taste of their own medicine, u all know what i mean

driftke70
9th February 2009, 12:38 PM
ill supply the matches

Benny
9th February 2009, 02:33 PM
Molotov to the head imo.

Intense
9th February 2009, 03:28 PM
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6476613,00.jpg
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6476615,00.jpg

Who's is this and are they ok?

matt99
9th February 2009, 03:28 PM
Odd thing was, we drove through there late on friday night, seemed as normal as ever. you cant recognise the town now.

Yeah, driving through Marysvile 3am saturday morning and you would have never thought it. Next morning wake up and realise that the place you were in only hours earlier no longer exists.

We were probably lucky that we did'nt stay out longer you think Nath, and lucky we got that Celica going too.

Very good friend of mine from Kinklake West has lost his shed, containing his Motorbikes, a car, lots of machinery, etc. The shed sits about 30m from the house. Apparantly there were about 6 trucks between the shed and the house and they managed to save it. I think its one of only a few houses still standing.

Hes in Melbourne at the moment and they wont let him up there.

Edit: Just got a phone call, different mates house in Drouin is gone.

julzy
9th February 2009, 04:32 PM
^^^ That would be a prelude,
Heard on the news that a guy had a 5000gallon water tank,
and the radiant heat from the fire boiled all 5000 gallons!

shift_rook
9th February 2009, 04:35 PM
holy shit man that's intense, yeah fair few of my mates have been affected by it, 120 confirmed dead now fair few people still missing too. some fires are still going too. hopefully it'll stop soon

Benny
9th February 2009, 04:47 PM
Matt, you're talking about Matty yeah? Handsy?

resol
9th February 2009, 06:03 PM
yeh im sitting in the safety of a 5th storey condo appartment in singapore. least thats what i thought, woke up yesturday to the fire alarm goin off. had to evacuate the whole building (33 floors) to check it over, thankfully nothing serious.

i called my dad to let him know, and thats when he told me about the fires back in melb. i had no idea until then, and have been following the news hopeing it doesnt get anyworse.my thoughts go out to all those affected

hitoriko
9th February 2009, 06:12 PM
my boss lost 6 of his extended family brother in law wife kids...

im thinking we should do an AE86DC Cruise to rasie funds drive from one side of melb to the other and try and get businees etc.. to donate items

thoughts?

boh086
9th February 2009, 08:33 PM
JD lives in warrandyte so he'll be okay.

Although I just saw two water bombing helicopters fly overhead in Eltham, heading away from the fires so its still not good.

I flew home from Sydney on Saturday afternoon and on the descent there was lots of turbulence and we couldn't see anything for the red smoke in the air then once we broke through that there was a line of fire that stretched as far as I could see, that freaked me out because we hadn't heard anything of fire up until that point.

2 guys from NS are gone too, RIP

matt99
9th February 2009, 08:38 PM
Matt, you're talking about Matty yeah? Handsy?

No, although that name does ring a bell. Im talking about a guy nammed Nick.

2 guys from NS are gone too, RIP

Do you know what area they were in when it happened by anychance? RIP to them.

Dave
9th February 2009, 08:51 PM
131 confirmed dead.. such a bad thing to happen. People were literally surrounded by fire and got burnt alive, even those trying to escape by their cars. My prayers will go out to all those affected in the vic fires :S:(

pieman18
9th February 2009, 09:01 PM
my boss lost 6 of his extended family brother in law wife kids...

im thinking we should do an AE86DC Cruise to rasie funds drive from one side of melb to the other and try and get businees etc.. to donate items

thoughts?

this is a great idea, however, we shouldnt limit it to just 86DC, if we really wanna raise funds we should try and organise a big ass cruise with other forums, spread the word over other forums u are members of,

if its big enough it may slightly change the perception of us 'import car' drivers

just a thought

hitoriko
9th February 2009, 09:08 PM
yeah i was considiering that but i felt that we as our little community should do it

no doubt there will be a bigger one later but whats stopping us from doing our own

Dylan
9th February 2009, 09:13 PM
this cruise sounds like a good idea

dave2221
9th February 2009, 09:15 PM
most fucked up thing i have heard of in a long time...

151 souls lost, and for no fault of their own.

if an arsonist did start the fires, they should do multiple life sentances. and get his/her little butt hole torn open on an hourly basis

adam
9th February 2009, 09:21 PM
this is a great idea, however, we shouldnt limit it to just 86DC, if we really wanna raise funds we should try and organise a big ass cruise with other forums, spread the word over other forums u are members of,

if its big enough it may slightly change the perception of us 'import car' drivers

just a thought

RE Customs are having a dyno day this Friday the 13th and is now officially a fund raising event for the bushfire victims. Head down there to donate as well as find out how much power your car's are putting out!

adam
9th February 2009, 09:28 PM
Do you know what area they were in when it happened by anychance? RIP to them.

They were from and in Traralgon. Nathan was helping Luke and his parents fight the fire and got trapped from what I've read.

RIP

driftke70
10th February 2009, 01:35 AM
15 year old has been charged

Sprinter86
10th February 2009, 01:52 AM
Man these fires are fucked up, from my house i look over the yarra valley, all i can see is a red/orange glow at 3 spots, one is like a long line, smoke is always clearly visible. ive seen that water copter like 3 times today.

marvis
10th February 2009, 03:11 AM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25027063-1243,00.html

shichi~
10th February 2009, 07:01 AM
this is fucked i can see smoke from my joint :(

RIP

breno
10th February 2009, 12:22 PM
this is devastating.
the death total is apparently going to hit around 230.

check out this, its a 737 flying past the smoke.
http://www.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,6476268,00.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/23kqahf.jpg

sonsta
10th February 2009, 12:39 PM
both are awesome pics!!!

my work is doing a donation box and whatever gets put in there he will match and it will be sent down to the victims

a cruise sounds like an awesome idea!! maybe we could get the sponsors involved as well!!

Benny
10th February 2009, 01:46 PM
R.I.P Luke Jacobs.

hitoriko
10th February 2009, 02:15 PM
yeah well im prepared to organise it

i'll get a map up with a central location for all those interested it will prolly be next weekend (not this weekend)

i'll type up a thread tonight

breno
10th February 2009, 02:41 PM
R.I.P.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/0/5886.jpg

driftke70
10th February 2009, 10:15 PM
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25027063-1243,00.html

not the same fire dude

.:2DR-FTU:.
11th February 2009, 04:22 PM
Someone on here should definately co-ordinate something with some of the NS guys. they are organising some form of charity cruise and want the maximum amount of cars... Im not from down that way, but ill definately be involved in a sydney cruise

widebody86
17th February 2009, 01:56 AM
i lost 2 of my good mates :( R.I.P Luke Jaocbs and Nathan Charles

Shiri
17th February 2009, 05:04 PM
Someone on here should definately co-ordinate something with some of the NS guys. they are organising some form of charity cruise and want the maximum amount of cars... Im not from down that way, but ill definately be involved in a sydney cruise

Copied from Preludes Australia but it's turning out to be a huge event.

As is evident in the other thread relating to the bushfires that have recently savaged parts of Victoria, many of you have been moved by the plight of those who have had their lives turned upside down by this heart wrenching disaster. Even those of us who are not personally affected by the events of the last few days, we all feel an urge to do our bit to help out our fellow Australians. People all around Australia are doing their bit to help the people of Marysville, Kinglake, Gippsland and surrounds.

As suggested by a couple of our members here at Prelude Australia, we are going to run a cruise to help raise some money for the Bushfire Relief Fund that has been set up to assist those affected to rebuild their lives. It will be our little bit to help this very worthwhile cause.

The cruise will begin in Glen Waverley. We will cruise along the freeway, through Endeavour Hills, Lysterfield, Belgrave, Emerald, Beaconsfield, Berwick before finishing up at Krispy Kremes at Fountain Gate. We have received quite a bit of interest from other car clubs who want to join us for this to help raise funds. All proceeds from the day will go to the Bushfire fund.

So here are the details.

Where: Glen Waverley Railway Station Car Park, Railway Parade North, Glen Waverley. (The large car park opposite the bus terminus.)

When: Sunday March 8th 2009.

Time: Meet at 5:30pm. Expected Departure after pre cruise briefing - 6:15pm

Cost: We wish to nominate a charge of $10 per car to attend the cruise. Your $10 will get you a map for the cruise. Of course we encourage any further donations on the day if you have any spare cash. Remember, 100% of the proceeds from the days activity will go to the official Bushfire Relief Fund which has been established by the State and Federal Government, and has already raised several million dollars. Sealed Red Cross tins will hopefully be used to ensure that all funds go to the right place.

What to bring: Bring your car, bring your friends, and bring your money. Our aim is to raise as much as possible for the victims of these bushfires.

OzHonda, FTO Club, The Forester Club Of Australia and CRX Australia have already expressed interest in attending. The DA Integra Crew is endorsing the event also. PA SA and PA ACT are also holding cruises on the same day and all money raised will be forwarded to PA VIC. If anybody knows of any other car clubs who might be interested in participating, please let me know and we will discuss inviting their attendance.

Depending on the number of vehicles in attendance on the day, we will carry out staggered departure times for each group...so as to ensure that vehicles aren’t crammed up together.

Who ever is in charge of AE86DC in Victoria should make an effort to contact the club to join up with them.

widebody86
17th February 2009, 09:30 PM
no shit we should join them, my local crew would be in that for sure as luke and charlzy (R.I.P) were members of the valley drifters

Water Boy
17th February 2009, 10:13 PM
Charlzy was a mad rider! I spoke to him at the BMX Games...

RIP