PDA

View Full Version : Running a full cage

Eircamae86
10th February 2009, 12:25 AM
Lets say I throw a full cage into my on the road 86, I do very limited milage in the car, drive from Northern suburbs to archy on a wednesday night, shop, local brothal, dominos when the missus is out in the Levin, What is the worst thing that can happen if the cops pull me over,
I dont speed, street drift, hoon etc, etc
I have suspension mods & seat already with no mod plate.
I dont have the cash to mod plate it for a rear cage/suspension/seat etc & dont want to as she will be a track only car once I sort out a few details (job!!).

blair
10th February 2009, 12:42 AM
get defected first time = points off licence and fine anywhere from $50 for minor up to ALOT if they really want... is your 4age modded either? oh and also court if they feel it neccesary

second time your pretty much rooted. car suspension court jail etc can all be on the cards!

marvis
10th February 2009, 12:45 AM
^Jail? Lol.

I have the option to run a cage and I'm not..

It's not worth it. Cops love cages.

Eircamae86
10th February 2009, 12:57 AM
4age doesnt need a mod plate as its a factory engine for the car, so I have been informed by people in the know.
Also Im not a resident, so I could do without the hassel.
On the other hand, I did one driftday last year before comming over here & almost decapitated myself & totally destroyed a good Trueno, so I do feel the need for a full cage.

blair
10th February 2009, 01:03 AM
sorry did a bit of reading, it appears its only massive fines and permanent confiscation of your vehcile.

Eircamae86
10th February 2009, 01:07 AM
Oh, thats alright then, nothing major

driftke70
10th February 2009, 01:28 AM
i found cops leave me alone more with a cage

marvis
10th February 2009, 02:43 AM
Serious?

Dam.

After three times of being defected they take your car. First time is a warning. Second is 48Hours, Third is Three months and third they take it from you.

letsgohunting
10th February 2009, 10:42 AM
Yeah they're good dudes. Probably go drifting in it while it's confiscated.

kaibeecee
10th February 2009, 01:50 PM
first major defect notice is a court appearance now.

if you get a cage, get a bolt in one so if you get done, you can take it out.

the crossbar gives it away so much though

Ae86sam
10th February 2009, 02:07 PM
Hey mate.. You can get the whole rig engineer plated and its legit.. But in saying that the cops will still pull you when they see a cage.. Depending on the copper on wheither they'll just find something else (even remotely wrong to be pricks) or let you go..?

johl
10th February 2009, 02:12 PM
just get really dark tint or even a venetian blind for the back window, and a big racq sticker to go with it

driftke70
10th February 2009, 03:12 PM
i run louvers for a reason ;)

MeZ Prod
10th February 2009, 03:14 PM
just get really dark tint or even a venetian blind for the back window, and a big racq sticker to go with it

Dont forget your crimestoppers sticker!

Kid Karola
11th February 2009, 09:59 AM
1/2 cage is usually easier to pass if car is registered as 2 seater. Full cage is near impossible to get engineered in a street car, but it's likely the cage isn't the only thing they will get pull you over for. They could get you for anything really if they want to.

johl
11th February 2009, 10:36 AM
1/2 cage is usually easier to pass if car is registered as 2 seater. Full cage is near impossible to get engineered in a street car, but it's likely the cage isn't the only thing they will get pull you over for. They could get you for anything really if they want to.

not speaking from experience are you? its just the same as any other mod that you get mod plated. as long as the side intrusion bars are removable its easy to get engineered

Kid Karola
11th February 2009, 10:38 AM
slightly different process in SA than East Coast... Usually need an engineers report here with major mods, others just need to be approved by an inspection at Regency. With half cage as long as you don't have rear passengers/remove seat-belts etc and enough clearance to driver/front passenger is passable, but full cages need to have the front section removeable (as you mention) and NOT used on street, only for comp/club use (There is an article relating to many vehicle mods from TransportSA).
I run a half cage no dramas to speak of yet and I've known people that have full cages (i.e. factory fitted in Porsche RS) that got defected and had to have them removed to re-reg... and others that had average qual bond cages that were deemed ok. go figure...

johl
11th February 2009, 12:13 PM
oh ok. makes sense now that i know your in a different state. lol at the porsche tho

NIZLAH
11th February 2009, 06:00 PM
while on this topic... I plan to fit a half cage also (its going to be a weekend only car) but I do want the whole car engineered and legal.
Who are some good knowledgeable and friendly engineers in Brisbane?

fantapants
11th February 2009, 11:41 PM
if the car is well thought out and stuff isnt obviously done on the dodge, then most plods will just look at you funny and have a bit of a talk down to you... IF you are not a tool.

this however goes out the window if they are on a pickup scheme.

but the they will get you just as bad for the seat as the whole kit n caboodle.

your interactions with the plods go a LONG way towards how they respond.

and if your old fat and bald like me, well they just feel sorry for you wave you on :D

ae71neo
21st February 2009, 10:23 AM
I got pulled over a little while ago with a full cage etc. He didnt say anything about it.

This was a QLD car in NSW though if that makes a difference.

NIZLAH
21st February 2009, 10:31 AM
Who are some good knowledgeable and friendly engineers in Brisbane?

.....................???

anyone know who I should get in contact with?