PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Booster-less Brakes

PRIMRK
12th November 2010, 07:24 PM
I need to get rid of my brake booster because its in my way, I know that there is a setup that doesn't use the standard vacuum booster, but I have no idea what they are called or where to find them.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers

KENut
12th November 2010, 07:30 PM
Remote booster?

PRIMRK
12th November 2010, 07:47 PM
Yeh i looked for those sort of setups as I've seen them in hot rods (under floor or under dash ones) but have seen that there are ones that done need the traditional vac booster that are much more compact. I just cant have the booster in the engine bay.

LittleRedSpirit
12th November 2010, 07:48 PM
There are several options, its something Ive considered in the past.

1. Remote booster - Usually just raid the stock arrangement off another vehicle, some hondas have them, there are also PBR ones, I think which came out on a Valiant back in the day and now are still popular with the aftermarket crowd for adapting into other vehicles. It works by basically having a master and slave hydraulic arrangement to operate the booster so you just hide it and re run all the lines to where you need them. Its a bit tedious to do but ok when done, if you accept the idea that you have added more serviceable parts to the system. Can be legal on the road.
http://www.minisport.com.au/prod1893.htm

2. BMW Hydraulic ATE H31 - BMW use a Hydraulic booster thats no bigger than a master cylinder, but it requires a pressure filled Bomb which weighs a lot and is able to give 10 stops before boost is lost if something fails. This system is dependant on hydraulic pressure from a power steering style pump. Its going to make your engine bay look like shit, and be complicated to fix, and only be as reliable as a power steering pump... The bomb is about $1000 new if you use it. The whole system is about 500 bucks from a wrecker that knows what it is. Unsure if it can be made legal in a car for road use that isn't a chassis designed with the system from BMW.
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/maxf_website/h31_breakdown.htm

3. Wilwood style pedal arrangement - Floor mount, top mount, balance bars, its a very technical issue and tricky to set up but I think this is by far the most elegant solution. Less parts! No booster, just enough leverage, perhaps some tuning of the hydraulics if need be, and a strong ass pedal. No boost required from vaccuum so good for cammy motors that arent able to idle with any vaccuum anyhow. No booster at all to look at or waste space, very adjustable, and can incorporate the clutch into the same pedal array. Its 100% never going to be road legal and if a cop or transport cop sees it you are going to be off the road.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:GJ-me80wVo0kWM:http://www.wilwood.com/Products/005-PedalAssemblies/002-FSMP/dual/Forward-Mount-Dual-Pedal-As.jpg&t=1

PRIMRK
12th November 2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for those links, i like the look of the 1st and 3rd option but i just don't know how to set them up, guess ill have to go to a performance shop and have a look at some in the flesh to figure them out. anyone got a diagram of how the wilwood ones gets a mechanical advantage?

H8CHIR6KU
12th November 2010, 10:44 PM
why dont you just get rid of it. seems to be somewhat popular. pedal straight into the master no booster.

i have seen a few kits for sale in drift tengoku magazine and also check kens saphira build. he also runs his car with no booster same as johnny k

LittleRedSpirit
13th November 2010, 11:01 AM
Wilwood has awesome diagrams on their site. Just look at it.

PRIMRK
15th November 2010, 10:56 PM
the car still has club rego so it will be used on the roads sometimes so is removing the booster still an option?

Andy San
16th November 2010, 08:43 AM
Use a properly setup balance bar pedalbox and you will love it.

If you size the master cylinders properly then it will feel like normal.

Dad's cortina has one and it has excellent brake pedal feel

Group A
4th December 2010, 11:15 PM
Does a stock standard JDM AE86 run with or without a booster?

Stain
15th December 2010, 10:33 PM
With a booster.