PDA

View Full Version : head gaskets for 4age?

pen15
6th December 2010, 06:17 AM
ok all so here is what i got

i ordered a brand new 4age head gasket from toyota and i dont think its going to work above some of the water gallaries there is only little holes for the water to get through is this ok i think it may be a 20v head gasket but im not sure will it matter if im using a 20v head gasket and i have a 16v

if it helps its not a metal gasket as i know some 20v 4age's have but im not sure

cheers
mat

Sam-Q
6th December 2010, 08:38 AM
it's not a good idea to use a 20v gasket on a 16v as the front two cylinders will run cooler than the back. Post a picture of it and I will see if I identify it.

pen15
6th December 2010, 05:04 PM
i will try sam q it may be easier to email you with attachment stuiped image shack isn't working for me at all

lolwat
6th December 2010, 07:53 PM
drill them out, all the heads i have done at work (mainly falcons and shitbox's) the water galleries are Yay big >>>(_____) and the hole in the head gasket is like this () its a fucking stupid idea but alot of them come like that

Sam-Q
6th December 2010, 10:02 PM
now assuming your post isn't sarcasm have you ever considered they are like that for a reason?

pen15
7th December 2010, 06:52 AM
i was told yesterday its the correct gasket as they need restriction but ill get you a pic still sam so you can help me make sure 100% cheers

lolwat
7th December 2010, 07:38 AM
was that pointed at me samQ, i wasent being sarcastic

Sam-Q
7th December 2010, 08:38 AM
ok then as pen said they are there for a reason and should never be enlarged, they are almost always the ideal size for cooling to facilitate even cooling between the cylenders. The reason why the cooling ports are the size they are is because during the construction process they need them large enough for the casting and it's a whole lot easier to supply a head gasket with smaller holes then to fill the block/head up with restrictor plugs.

lolwat
7th December 2010, 07:59 PM
yea it is a good reason, its jsut what i have been told by my bosses(there more old school V8's and shit) and they drilled there's out when the biult theres

Sam-Q
7th December 2010, 09:20 PM
well I can understand why you would trust them but going straight to the point they have no idea. If you want to transend pub talk with the facts then I suggest you read some books from A.Graham Bell

lolwat
7th December 2010, 10:37 PM
and this is why i normally ask as many people as i can when im about things (when i going to do shit with my car) my boss often gets offended by it but meh fuck him

Sam-Q
7th December 2010, 10:45 PM
that's the spirit! seriously though I suggest that guys books, the four stroke tuning one is fantastic

mikeyee
21st December 2010, 08:11 PM
maybe your HG is upside down?

drilling out is no biggie, it's what a lot of 20v owners in the states had to do when 20v HG's weren't available.

Sam-Q
21st December 2010, 09:19 PM
how would you make the holes in the back of the gasket smaller though?