PDA

View Full Version : Seat Technical Discussion

Andy San
10th December 2010, 08:52 AM
So after I started going a bit too far off topic in the braces thread I thought i should make up a thread where we can discuss what is and isn't good in a racing seat.

Some interesting reading for people who have a bit of spare time:

FIA seat testing regulations (http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.nsf/6CC535B9F4ADFF76C12574430035205F/$FILE/Competition_seat.pdf)

Have a bit of a look through there and consider that each FIA standard seat has to take 20g of loading force in some of the testing, and cannot crack/split/break etc.

Why do sprint cars and nascars run them? Is it cos they have beefy cages that won't cave in when they hit whatever? I thought aluminium seats were easier on the body as they deform a little and absorb some of the shock as opposed to a fibreglass seat which doesn't budge (until the point when it snaps) and puts all the force into the body.

They both have the seat bolted to the cage in several areas, and both those cars are basically space frames with the body panels hung off them. The seating position in a sprint car is also a lot more upright than in a sedan, to the point where the driver's back/neck is basically in the same position as when they are standing, so a normal fibreglass seat wouldn't work correctly in this application.

xero
10th December 2010, 11:27 AM
i have pics!
good racing seat! (especially if your a gentleman of the larger pant)
http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u279/helbrandt_grimm/cob_suzukapro-kev-r.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/6/58996.jpg

bad racing seat:
some ebay spec peice of shit
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/6/58997.jpg

GOOD seat:
FIA approved!
CAMS approved!
solid construction from kevlar (im a ricer at heart)
easy of fitment
does not flex
light as fuck
not cheap to buy (but sooooo worth it)

BAD seat:
cheap as
cheap as fibreglass
NOT CAMS approved
NOT FIA approved
super flexxy (it would lean like a mofo on medium cornering)
light because its flimsy
not as easy to fit (big fuck off lip in the underside so it didnt slide on the rails which had to be hacked out)
super cheap to buy
falls apart easily

timbo
10th December 2010, 06:13 PM
I've been looking at a Velo Milano. Anyone used/run one of these?

Jman_KE70
10th December 2010, 06:30 PM

yeah i have a milano in my track car and love it. Im not sure how good it would be as a daily seat as there is not alot of padding like the GP90.

ke_70
10th December 2010, 06:37 PM
a good seat goes a long way. i love my recaro!

Andy San
11th December 2010, 08:43 AM

The Gp90 is worth spending the extra $100

takai
11th December 2010, 10:05 AM
I love my Milano. It's also the chair I spend the most amount of time in... My desk chair. It's comfy as

Personally I have driven a spoonter with a Gp90 across the country comfortably so I like them.

I use a Cobra in the race car though. Admittedly its a custom moulded one for my back as i have back issues, and i got it done for a 12hr relay when Velo wernt around. Perhaps they can do customs now?

biggo
11th December 2010, 10:18 AM
What differences are their from ADR approved to FIA approved?

Im thinking ADR only has to be a solid mount with no loading. It doesnt really matter as ive gone from a bride copy to a FIA approved corbeau

xero
11th December 2010, 10:26 AM
ADR means that it has gone through the Australian Design Rules testing (crush, side impact and rigidity testing) and deemed ok by the gumbyment, and as such CAMS uses these approvals for which seats will pass scrutineering.

FIA approval means it meet their strict criteria for motorsport (which exceeds ADR approval) and in the case of my seat can be used in things such as V8 supertaxi's, mini challange, porsche cup, targa tas, dutton rally etc etc
BUT heres the kick in the teeth, even if it is FIA approved it would still need to be ADR approved to be used in australia!
so while a BRIDE seat will be FIA approved, it doesnt meet ADR so will not pass scrutineering when running in a CAMS event.

chris, i fucking love my COBRA seat! took me so long find the right one and im glad ive got it, so comfortable and holds you in very well. as has been said numerous times its worth spending the extra dollars and getting something that fits nice and is comfortable.

Andy San
11th December 2010, 12:10 PM
The seat shells on the FIA seats are much stronger as well, just about any seat can pass the ADR testing it seems, even the china crap that autobarn sell.

I should also add that CAMS doesn't use ADR for any events, you're either required to have an FIA seat, or no approvals at all. (it just has to be mounted securely)

xero
12th December 2010, 11:51 AM
ive seen a few people turned away for having FIA approved BRIDE seats they were claiming that as they arent ADR'd they need to GTFO...
unless cams have now reconised that the FIA approval is much stricter than the ADR shit?

Andy San
12th December 2010, 12:01 PM
Well for state level circuit racing you aren't required to have an fia seat, and you can run a standard seat for everything below that, so I can't see the problem with running something non ADR. Pretty much the only type of event that most people will be involved in where they will need an fia seat is Tarmac rally. Perhaps the scrutineer was having a shit day or something.

Anthony
13th December 2010, 02:00 AM
I dont think you can just run anything. It has to be as factory fitted (and therefore presumably ADR compliant), or FIA approved and in date. Seems to work that way with restraints anyway..

Andy San
13th December 2010, 10:15 AM
unless I am looking at the wrong thing, you need to have a harness that complies, but with seats you are required to mount it as per ADR (if applicable), it can't be a recliner, and it must have a head rest, but other than that seats are free.

Anthony
13th December 2010, 11:02 AM
So would a bride that was FIA marked, combined with say some RPM alum rail brackets suffice?

Andy San
13th December 2010, 11:34 AM
yep would be fine for drifting, supersprints, and state level circuit racing in most classes. even though it is not an ADR approved seat.

takai
13th December 2010, 11:37 AM
Yes, would suffice just fine.

Although a grumpy scrute could ping you if its not a logbooked car. Logbooked cars can comply to FIA regs, but they can enforce road registered cars to comply with ADRs

xero
13th December 2010, 11:37 AM
for super sprints it should be fine ant, but its up to the scrutineer on the day. and i seem to keep getting the cranky ones...