PDA

View Full Version : thinking of buying a pit bike

n00bvak
11th February 2009, 06:19 PM
Hey guys,

I am n00b at bikes, but i have been a good little n00b, saving and what-not and i think it is time I strapped an engine to my crotch and have a little fun with my mates and their real dirt bikes.

Dont wanna buy a big (proper) bike coz I am sooooo dangerous in a car, I will kill myself with anything crazy, just wanna be able to jump it and be a bit silly rather than just watching the boys do it. Oh and I have half an acre of back yard to chop up :P

I have seen these and they are in my price range. Wanna buy new and these have heaps of parts through aussie dealer:

http://www.atomik.com.au/dirt-bike/nitrous125m.html

what do you recon??? any good?? any advice???

driftke70
11th February 2009, 06:27 PM
they are pretty good fun, i have a 125 with usds mono shock rear and stuff, goes pretty well, Best thing i ever did was when me and my mates had a few, we set up a track in a mates forrest when it was raining really heavy and had a mud derby.

drift kid
11th February 2009, 06:40 PM
looks good 2 me, fair price aswell

n00bvak
11th February 2009, 07:12 PM
sweet cheers boys, any nasties to look out for with these things???

... well besides trees?

matt99
11th February 2009, 07:44 PM
sweet cheers boys, any nasties to look out for with these things???

Nasties? The whole thing is a pile of rubbish. Dont bother with Pit bikes. If you really want one that badly, buy a second hand one. Dont pay anymore than $100, that way its not to bad once you realise it was a waste of money.

Bart
11th February 2009, 08:28 PM
i bought a Atomik once, a MotoX. The motors in them are chinese garbage, went thru both the Ducar and Lifan motors. The welds on the swing arm crack quite easily, and the front shocks on mine started to bend.
I guess they would be good for a kid to learn to ride a bike but nothing else. Not what you want to do anyway!
But in saying that, i only paid $650 for mine off ebay so you only get what you pay for.

Better off spending more and getting a proper bike if your wanting to have fun on a bike.

Bart

shift_rook
11th February 2009, 08:51 PM
my bro has a pit pro, 150 race thing, it goes fast! he payed 1400 and it was faster than his mates cr125, not the f125 either so i wreckon it's a fair effort for a tiny little pit bike. nothing's broken down on it, still running strong. i'd recommend it

driftke70
11th February 2009, 09:55 PM
i paid 400 for mine, i wouldnt pay more than 700. They break alot of things initially when you buy them and they have to be replaced, stuff like wheel bearings, chains, swing arm bushes all flog out like a mofo. little 16 dollar parts every time you ride it sort of thing. When mine breaks i just hop on my big bike and get a bigger smile.

Sam-Q
11th February 2009, 10:05 PM
I have an atomic proX 140cc. What I can say is you will need to change many bolts and do up many others before you can ride for more than a short time. Also put some heavier weight fork oil in the front, I hear 20 weight is the way to go. I havent used mine properly yet so I cant say much but I will know in due time.

Axentrik
11th February 2009, 11:24 PM
my dad use to be a distributor of pit bikes and he had to repair them almost everytime they were ridden. they are essentially cheap chinese rip offs of old honda motors. every single part on them is dodgy and breaks. they even had asbestos clutches. just buy a cr or rm yz etc, at least you know its not gonna fall apart while your traveling at 100kmh.

Sam-Q
11th February 2009, 11:49 PM
just buy a cr or rm yz etc, at least you know its not gonna fall apart while your traveling at 100kmh.

thats never going to happen to my bike, only because it wont get to 100 in the first place.. hehehe

I plan on using this thing till it falls apart and then down the track buying a light mid size bike thats a two stroke. Something like a 110cc

Jarrod
12th February 2009, 04:02 AM
i bought a rip-off 125cc 8 months ago or somethin for 450, havnt really had any troubles, only thig i had to replace was the fuel filter ($5) which was leaking when i bought it. forks are a little bent from an accident though lol.

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
12th February 2009, 10:06 AM
In short

Pit bikes = NO

Waste of time, EVERYTHING about them, and I do mean everything, is cheap chinese crap. Plastic clutch and brake levers for instance... who makes levers out of plastic!?!? Parts are expensive and you'll continually need to buy them, you'll go riding and it'll stop and wont go, or break something when you're miles out the bush and be unable to ride it back.

Again, I stress, NO. Save some more $$ and buy a proper bike. Heck, a 10yr old 2-stroke cr125 etc is worth bugger all these days, parts still readily available off shelf for the rare instance that they're needed, and you'll never worry about jumping friggen wicked redongulas jumps and landing only to have the bike snap in half etc.....

n00bvak
12th February 2009, 10:34 AM
ok, as I thought they are cheap and nasty. Wasn't planning on getting a big bike coz i have no where to ride it.

The only advantage of one of these pit bikes is I would be able to fang it around my 1/2 acre block and on the odd occasion head out to a trak with the boys on there big bikes.

Well if I see a cheep one, I might still grab it but definitely not gonna spend over 500 for it.

Sprinter86
12th February 2009, 10:49 AM
i have a 150 pitpro, damn quick for a pitbike, but yes i have replaced MANY bolts, and clutch/brake levers at least 2 times each. when you first buy one, undo EVERY bolt and locktight the shit out of it. you will thank yourself later!

other than the obvious quality issues, they can be really fun, i run motard tyes on mine, it probably pulls 100kmh, and you can lay em over heaps! good fun.

sonsta
12th February 2009, 11:55 AM
i owned one for about a year and loved it!!

best thing you can do is pull the WHOLE thing apart and loctite EVERY bolt you can find, no matter how small or big

you will thank me later when your mates bikes are all falling apart haha

Sam-Q
12th February 2009, 12:00 PM
put a double nut on the exhuast flange studs too

driftke70
12th February 2009, 01:29 PM
i find submursing the entire bike in locktite is the best solution, make sure you submurse it in crc after every ride.

sonsta
12th February 2009, 01:39 PM
how do you submerse the bike in loctite?

literally or is that an exaggeration lol

corey70
12th February 2009, 05:18 PM
i used 2 race moto x, now me an all my mates own pit bikes for fun. its funny watching every1 on here whinging about them breaking ect! we jump ours over 20foot doubles ect and havnt broken anything major. lil things here n there and go through a few sets of plastics cos we have raxces which includes takin each other out on corners ect. theyr so much fun for how cheap they are..

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9/7/6138.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9/7/6139.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9/7/6140.jpg

sly1300
12th February 2009, 08:26 PM
dont even get me started in this thread..

having owned and ridden 50's since before they were cool. like over 6 years now.

save your cash and buy a genuine honda. xr or crf 50.

buy a stock one and do it up as YOU want, or hunt ebay/ trading post and find a modded xr/crf 50.

my xr50 is still going strong after many,many hours of solid thrashing.
the cheap china crap is just that.. it will be cheap now, but they money you'll waste fixing it all the time you could have bought a honda in the first place.

may i suggest sites such as

chilli50s.com
fast50s.com
takegawa
50ccracing.com

and 50sbrotherhood

etc etc

do a little research and buy quality, a good fast 50 is so much fun at your local bmx track when theres you and half a dozen of your mates on them.

any questions youve got shoot me a pm, ive rebuilt, bored out, re-needled, re-sprung enough 50's to sink a ship.... seriously.

driftke70
12th February 2009, 09:07 PM
ive had 4 50s, still have a 125 fine china, and a genuine honda z50j with full rego gear from 69. Ive had an xr50 and a crf50, the latter i fitted a big bore kit (88cc) hot cam, bigger carb, carb kit, I made an exhaust for it, etc etc, went way better than my current 125 does. And was just rock solid, so rock solid its not even funny. New one is made out of cheese, the suspension is reasonable, but everything else, meh.

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/109/l_9b9a13d47a950df1cdb92d1a36d95edb.jpg

corey70
13th February 2009, 12:45 PM
genuine honda is def the way to go... if u got deeeep pockets, cheapies are good for a thrash if your not taking it seriously. my mate has spent about 14grand on his genuine honda thing is nuts but i personally wouldnt spend that much on a 50..

superbmobile
14th February 2009, 04:34 AM
I say buy a genuine non china bike, i have a 110cc pit bike and so far have had these various problems, rear hub exploded whilst doing around 80km plus, chain consistantly falling off, throttle cable snapped, peg bent, exhaust falling of on many ocassions. But besides all these problems the motor and gearbox are well made never had a problem as of yet and i consistantly thrase the shit out of it nearly every day so i have it give it that.

n00bvak
22nd February 2009, 06:17 PM
cheers sly1300, I might hit you up with some questions soon and cheers for the links

corey70, you guys are fkn mad!!!!

Cheers for everyones comments too, all vey helpful/funny.

The only thing that put me off the 50cc is that they are so small. Really wanted something with like a 14" front wheel so like it is in between a peewee and a big bike. Anyone know of anything decent in that sort of size????

...Anyway with this economy I might hold onto my pennys for a bit and see how it goes

orido
24th March 2009, 04:57 PM
ebay pitties are cheap and nasty

driftke70
24th March 2009, 05:24 PM
can buy my other one for 400 bucks

orido
25th March 2009, 12:00 PM
man if you like going fast none of these really rip i gotta 125 from ebay, when in 4th gear flat stick theres not too much pace.