PDA

View Full Version : suspension upgrade on the cheap

s13 james
13th December 2010, 01:11 PM
i just finished getting my new 70 to mint state and passed rego first go haha starting putting my wheels and bits on then cut then cut the springs to get good wheel fitment.START OF PROBLEM looks sik as low drives ok on smooth roads but bumps and spirited conering makes it bounce like all fuck.Looking around on here i see ppl cut and weld struts to make coilovers,this is no option for me and i gather from what ive read here 86 coilovers like bc's require steering arms? to fit.
what am i best off to do? what parts do i need to 86 bc's coils work or is there a cost effective solution from a wreckers than requires no welding
PS. my s13 sussy was so much easier haha,
thanks guys

haveaparty
13th December 2010, 02:01 PM
for the rear get excel short stroke shocks, with falcon ultra low kings cut to suit height, and for the front just get falcon king springs agen cut to suit height, cause ketos dont weigh much the greater spring rate for the heavy falcon works well on the much lighter cars

s13 james
13th December 2010, 02:03 PM
thanks for the quick reply mate ill look into it,can it be any model falcon?

haveaparty
13th December 2010, 03:21 PM
ba or au ultra low king springs would be easiest to get, auto barns full set of kings is like 250 bucks

stx-16
13th December 2010, 08:13 PM
or just stock falcon springs cut to suit

slide86
13th December 2010, 08:18 PM
suspension isnt really a safety component, or an important part of your car. So by all means, you should just run cut springs and mismatching shocks.......

If you cant tell, im being sarcastic, if you cant afford to do it right the first time with such an important component of your car, dont do it at all

lolwat
13th December 2010, 08:32 PM
suspension isnt really a safety component, or an important part of your car. So by all means, you should just run cut springs and mismatching shocks.......

If you cant tell, im being sarcastic, if you cant afford to do it right the first time with such an important component of your car, dont do it at all
+1
why waste money buying all that when you could jsut save a bit more and do it properly

s13 james
13th December 2010, 08:43 PM
falcons are like 40 buks at a wreckers and will keep me happy till i have spare cash? thanks for the info haveaparty

sam2306
13th December 2010, 08:53 PM
chopped springs and rooted shocks are whats making it really bumpy, also if your lca's are flat it will cause bumpsteer so you'll need rca's also

trikzlane
13th December 2010, 08:57 PM
do it properly or dont do it at all, you can also use s13 sussy in the front

s13 james
13th December 2010, 08:57 PM
like coronas?dont the give large amounts of neg camber?its not a daily but still driven on street a bit

s13 james
13th December 2010, 08:58 PM
for s 13front end dont i need to brakesand the whole lot?and end up with way bigger track?thanks for the help

AJPS
13th December 2010, 08:59 PM
dont put s13 suspension in it

s13 james
13th December 2010, 09:02 PM
so if i do 86 coils i need ps arms,rotors,bearings,calipers ,is there any other parts?

s13 james
13th December 2010, 09:03 PM
sorry bout the dumb questions new to ke70's as my s 13 was just buy and bolt in haha

fantapants
13th December 2010, 09:08 PM
if u think ke70 are way more complicated to get right than an s13, your in trouble.

s13 works fine but is way more effort than just doing a nice 86 swap in front and basic upgrades rear....

but yeah, cuts are fine, really....

jakel
13th December 2010, 09:19 PM
stupid question, can you get weld on coilover kits mod plated?

lolwat
13th December 2010, 09:26 PM
i dont see why not, they dont need to know brand, jsut that its modified

Cerby86
13th December 2010, 10:52 PM
I love that the general question was I've got the ride height i want now how do i make it less bumpy and all these jdm fan boys chip in with stick some stiffer/cut springs in!! How the fuck does that make it less bumpy geniuses??? LOL

s13 james
13th December 2010, 11:36 PM
yes my silvia was easier,everything else is a bit harder thow haha ,looks like ill be goin coils, can some please confirm all the parts i need to do this so i can double check with what i think i need thanks guys

blair
13th December 2010, 11:56 PM
I love that the general question was I've got the ride height i want now how do i make it less bumpy and all these jdm fan boys chip in with stick some stiffer/cut springs in!! How the fuck does that make it less bumpy geniuses??? LOL

you fucking kidding?

read through the thread again.

The only mention of springs have been king springs or falcon springs. ZOMG SO JDM FANBOY GETTING ZEE AWWWWWSSIEEEE PARTS M8

lol.

OP: just get some good dampeners which ever way you go. dampening stops the bouncing. 86 struts are popular strut diameter and fit many aftermarket shocks (rebuildable ones aswel). Glory of this is your not throwing a whole coilover out if a dampener blows (like most s13).

s13 james
14th December 2010, 12:04 AM
this sounds good, thanks for that ill look into it tomorrow

lolwat
14th December 2010, 12:29 AM
i would easly beleive a sil is easier, you dont have to swap brakes and shit over, they have a hub just bolt coilover in how is that harder the fucking rca's brakes and shit
falcons are now apparently jdm, holly flying duckshit, i watch one episode of family guy and come back and falcons are jdm cuase all the jdm boyz repin cut falcons you fucking serious

s13 james
14th December 2010, 11:37 AM
was just asking if there are any cheap options before goin to coils,keep your smartass comments to yourself,
thank you to the people who posted helpful replies

stx-16
14th December 2010, 11:51 AM
someone has sand in there Virgina

lolwat
14th December 2010, 06:10 PM
just honestly, if you going to go coils anyway just wait, and get them

Cerby86
14th December 2010, 06:13 PM
hahah you guys are funny, but you do help me illustrate my point. Of course I was saying falcon springs are JDM. Thats sarcasm. I thought I'd point it out just to make sure you get it. Maybe JDM fanboys was a poor choice of description as it leaves a possibility for confusion.
I have actually thought of a better name for them now, FUCKING SCENE WHORES!!
You know the ones, when I first got into the 86 scene they were the ones jumping into every tech thread going "omg you can't run anything bigger than 15 inch rims" even though they either didn't have a car (cos they were 12, but they had already collected all the coolest stickers for the fully sik race car their mum will buy them in 4 years) or had some stock piece of shit and $100000 worth of plans.

Now a few of the people on here who go out and build a car by what they like and not "the fanboy rules" are running 14 inch rims suddenly the fanboys are chipping into every thread parroting that.

Basically my point was how do these people think putting stiffer (and probably worse springs than what was already in there) will make the ride less bumpy? I'm assuming they are skipping reading the actual question to list scene whore rule number 4: All thy sick rideths must have sierra shocks and falcon springs applied for maximum respect until you get out of school and get a job so you can afford 8kg front, 6kg rear coilovers for even more maximum respect. LOL

blair
14th December 2010, 06:45 PM
hahah you guys are funny, but you do help me illustrate my point. Of course i was saying falcon springs are jdm. Thats sarcasm. I thought i'd point it out just to make sure you get it. Maybe jdm fanboys was a poor choice of description as it leaves a possibility for confusion.
I have actually thought of a better name for them now, fucking scene whores!!
You know the ones, when i first got into the 86 scene they were the ones jumping into every tech thread going "omg you can't run anything bigger than 15 inch rims" even though they either didn't have a car (cos they were 12, but they had already collected all the coolest stickers for the fully sik race car their mum will buy them in 4 years) or had some stock piece of shit and $100000 worth of plans.

Now a few of the people on here who go out and build a car by what they like and not "the fanboy rules" are running 14 inch rims suddenly the fanboys are chipping into every thread parroting that.

Basically my point was how do these people think putting stiffer (and probably worse springs than what was already in there) will make the ride less bumpy? I'm assuming they are skipping reading the actual question to list scene whore rule number 4: All thy sick rideths must have sierra shocks and falcon springs applied for maximum respect until you get out of school and get a job so you can afford 8kg front, 6kg rear coilovers for even more maximum respect. Lol

poty?

lolwat
14th December 2010, 07:07 PM
hahaha

ke70dave
14th December 2010, 08:32 PM
haha another classic BS thread....

whats funny is there is alot of talk of spring rates here, well qualitative terms such as "bouncy" and "bumpy"

in reality, how you spring your car isnt all that important, so long as they are long enough, and of around the correct spring rate.

(we could start talking about linearity of high end springs (and lack of in low end), but i think thats a bit out of the scope of "suspension on a budget")

what IS important, is matching your chosen spring rate with the appropriate shock.

it is utterly useless to discuss suspension dynamics without talking about what is called the "spring frequency". or at least aluding (is that a word?) to the idea that the shock and spring work TOGETHER as suspension.

http://www.smithees-racetech.com.au/performancefactors.html

this is pretty interesting, i didnt read it all, but it gives a good idea.

suspension on a budget isnt such a great idea, as you will taste good suspension setup, and want to add more....might as well do it once and do it properly (learn from my mistakes please and do it once and properly!!)

s13 james
14th December 2010, 10:09 PM
thats true, will rock the stock cutties till i find coilovers

jdm70
15th December 2010, 06:11 PM
mate i got a pair of front AJPS 8kg springs (basically brand new) and pair of Excel-G short stroke shocks that will get you outa trouble and actually pritty stiff untill you get your coilovers. You can have them both for $280

s13 james
15th December 2010, 08:38 PM
i sent you a pm thanks mate

Pidgey
15th December 2010, 10:08 PM
mate i got a pair of front AJPS 8kg springs (basically brand new) and pair of Excel-G short stroke shocks that will get you outa trouble and actually pritty stiff untill you get your coilovers. You can have them both for $280
Probably one of the best posts in this silly bullshit thread, along with ke70dave's, actually trying to help this poor silly man out rather then raging on about how everything is jaydeeemm and so on.

Just find a XT130/ something with the right strut diameter at the wreckers, pull the front out of it and make your own coilovers, really, it is not that hard if you have a grinder and have a simple understanding of welding, or have a spare hundred or so to have an exhaust shop cut and weld them. I'm 99% sure there is a thread in tech on how to do it.
Your best bet for a kit is to look at either otomoto's HSD kit, or AJPS's kit.
Use AW11 shocks, or whatever works, honestly, a lot do. Talk to dave from AJPS, he knows his shit and has sorted out pretty much everyone on this forum.
If you don't have the money to do this, don't do it at all. If you just have cut falcons and stock shocks it will bounce EVERYWHERE and your shocks will blow because you're most likely running it stupid low and not within the range of the stock shocks. My stock shocks shit themselves pretty much straight away in my corona, but it wasn't a road car and ran completely no springs at all.
What alerts me is that you've sold your S13 for one of these rusty ass corolla's.
Oh looky:
HSD kit: http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/13292-HSD-coilover-conversion-kits
AJPS website: http://www.ajps.com.au/parts.asp
Good reading: http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/2127-Your-Suspension-Setup
Video detailing how to do it, and keep your hektik jdm urges under control: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KWCDDBbpNc

s13 james
16th December 2010, 11:26 AM
thanks for that pigeonspec those vids helped a fair bit and made it clear'er,on the lookout for 86 struts,ps arms,rotors and calipers,been searching forums and rang a few wreckers with no luck,dose anyone know of a good wrecker i could try in sydney?
and i still have my s13 would never sell it haha ,the 70 is just my new project

s13 james
16th December 2010, 02:57 PM
can the xt130 struts go straight in or do they require the streering knuckle things like the 86 struts do?

AJPS
16th December 2010, 03:34 PM
they take the same knuckle, you need ae86 ps arms

s13 james
16th December 2010, 03:43 PM
thanks for clearing that up