PDA

View Full Version : SP tools?

luke
11th February 2009, 07:58 PM
Getting my tool voucher soon and wondering what brand to buy. i dont really want sidchrome because everyone buys them so im wondering if anyone has bought sp tools before and if they're good quality. One of the guys at work told me that the sp combination spanners don't have a bevel on the ring part where other brands do. Is that a good or bad thing?

racsov
11th February 2009, 08:12 PM
I buy SP when i can. good stuff for the money. dont have any of their spanners though.

got their rollcab which is awesome, except the push lock thing on the bottom draw doesnt work anymore cause it was kinda dodgy before, i was puching it and the draw rolled open and hit a hoist pole

shift_rook
11th February 2009, 08:16 PM
fair few people on here are a fan of the total tools range, moderate prices and great quality. no first hand knowledge on em though

biggo
11th February 2009, 08:39 PM
I rate them

well some parts anyway, got SP 3/8 sockets and a few air tools.

Cant complain with either

--Redwork--
11th February 2009, 08:44 PM
I have Sp ratle gun..
Had it for years... works good...

Didn't even know they made spanners and sockets..

I usually just Buy Trade Tools branded tools and Force tools...
Have 2 Force socket sets...
Cheap good quality and have never broken anything...

Don't like Sidchrome.... yucky..

slydar
11th February 2009, 09:37 PM
must say epic disappointed with my kc set. fucking shit aye. is gradually getting replaced with other better cheapo brand as i lose shit at the wreckers though, so all good :)

i have 1 or 2 sp bits and pieces. has a qul' feel to it.

Mickey H
11th February 2009, 09:45 PM
I rep T&E, BluePoint and Snap-On in my toolbox (2,300$ doesn't buy much these days...), But I would probably use SP for the shed at home. It's not bad stuff, good value for money.

dustyae86
12th February 2009, 08:02 AM
their spark plug sockets are shit house, apart from that I have no experience with it apart from their rattle guns... bit weak sometimes but usually does the trick

luke
12th February 2009, 06:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I might go down to the Total Tools and Qualitool on the weekend and have a looky. Any other brands that are a similar price range i should ask about?

racsov
12th February 2009, 08:03 PM
must say epic disappointed with my kc set. fucking shit aye. is gradually getting replaced with other better cheapo brand as i lose shit at the wreckers though, so all good :)

some of it feels and looks really cheap, but some is actually pretty good. retail is WAY overpriced though, seriously, if your gonna pay retail just buy something else. KC does have a lifetime warranty, the el dodgo sub brand kc pro am only has one year, which is ok cause if you use it daily itll probabaly break before then anyway

driftke70
12th February 2009, 09:13 PM
i use a combination of kctools stuff due to sponsorship and gedore tools i have bought previously. I have used sp tools at my last tools for a long time and that non bevel edge gets pretty annoying. Like you have to have the thing almost perfectly inline for it to slip on, and the edge is pretty sharp, a guy at work got a pretty bad cut from them a few times when he was quickly undoing something.
Their screwdrivers are pretty botch too, everything else they make is somewhere above average.

If I was going to buy budget tools, would not go past superworks gold from super cheap auto, seriously good tools for the money, other than that I get tools supplied.

Andy San
12th February 2009, 11:00 PM
i have a couple of SP socket sets and i am very happy with them,

also if you want 1/4 drive 12 point sockets SP are the only company that makes them.

(very useful for re-tensioning head bolts on a 4age with the cams still in place)

Javal
20th February 2009, 08:58 PM

KC tools are average at best. SP isn't that much better. Look to Repco / TTI if you want to get a good amount of gear out of your voucher.

driftke70
21st February 2009, 07:25 PM
he means king chrome, kc tools arnt all from the same people, you might have had a product that was from a bad supplier, they dont actually produce any of their own tools, but they do have some quality items in there.

Marco
22nd February 2009, 08:01 AM
yeah iv got 70% sp in my toolbox at work. can't complain about them. iv had to buy sidchrome spark plug sockets but because apparently sp hasn't realed magnetic ones. just the ones with rubber in them and they didn't last a full set of commodore plugs lol.
other than that they seempreety good. i had a meter bit of exhaust tube hanging off my 3/8th ratchet the other day simply cus i couldn't b "f'd" going all the way to my box and swapping to 1/2 inch. and surprisingly nothing shattered. :p

so yeah all in all they are good quality gear. and their rollcabs are brilliant. but the black ones thefingerprints show up on:P so a bit of window cleaner solves that when u want it to be preety:P

edit: my set of sp ring spanners do have the beveled edge on them. but iv got powerbuilt ring opens. figured i'd buy them untill i break one then ill buy quality and use them as modificational spanners. unfortunately i haven't broken one yet :P

julzy
22nd February 2009, 10:43 AM
Have mostly TTI and abit of snapon.
Happy with all the Snapon gear, ratchet spanners, sparkplug socket, 3/8 ratchet.
TTI stuff is good quality/value.
Did break all there racthet sapnners though, so steer clear.
And Sidchrome speed braces are absolute shit,
just from undoing undertray bolts i have somehow broken 2!

racsov
22nd February 2009, 12:11 PM
but the black ones thefingerprints show up on:P so a bit of window cleaner solves that when u want it to be preety:P

i know aye. every now and then ill give it a clean to kill some time, by the next afternoon it will have coolant splattered all over it or something and its like fffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Javal
22nd February 2009, 08:09 PM
TTI stuff is good quality/value.
Did break all there racthet sapnners though, so steer clear.

I've only managed to break a screwdriver so far.

luke
22nd February 2009, 08:29 PM
Bought a set of sp spanners today, and used them alllll day with no worries. still havent got my voucher but i couldn't wait:P so ive decided to buy all different brands of tools instead of the one big kit. still a bit sceptical on the bevel-less end, but im sure i'll get used to it