PDA

View Full Version : AE86, Tailshaft hitting hanbrake mech

Andyy
23rd December 2010, 11:29 PM
CAR - AE86

MOTOR - 16v 4age

USE - street/drift

PROBLEM/QUESTION - Tailshaft is hitting the handbrake mechanism where the bracket is for the single cable that splits into two cables. I know the easiest way to fix this is to not have the car at that height but its the height i want to have the car at so i want to know what i can do to the bracket to give me clearance.

OCCURS/STARTED WHEN - Since i installed 7kg/mm 180mm free height springs.

Few more details - it has a w5x gearbox with a one piece tailshaft

Skylar
24th December 2010, 12:58 AM
Get a smaller tail shaft.

Go back to a 2 piece tail shaft.

Cut that section out of the trans. tunnel box it up an inch higher.

They seem to be your only options.

Sam-Q
24th December 2010, 09:02 AM
well there is a quick and dirty option- put some spacers between the trans mount and the body to tilt it all down a little

Andyy
24th December 2010, 04:16 PM
Skylar: Don't really want to go back to a 2 piece and i thought about boxing the tunnel higher but the bracket just sits in the tunnel and i cant bolt it to the higher tunnel becuase it has to move with the cable.

SamQ: Hmm i will have a look but i think there is already some spacers under the mount and i can only assume going to much will be bad.

If i did box the tunnel what do you think i could do with the cable mount to allow it to still move? Another extreme option is a hydro handbrake but i really don't use the handbrake much at all and also it is a street car.. For the moment im just running spacers on the springs but would eventually like to have them out.

Thanks for the ideas keep them coming.

ke_70
24th December 2010, 06:38 PM
whats wrong with a 2 peice tailshaft?

Skylar
24th December 2010, 07:13 PM
ey, now I get what you're talking about. I thought you were talking about the bracket that the two handbrake cables clip into, not the floating metal piece which joins all three cables.

I dunno what to do with that, I guess you could space the handbrake assembly into the car 10mm or so. It run rub on the trans. tunnel then.
How big is your tailshaft? I have a 3" and it's nowhere near the cables but then again I have nissan motor so the gearbox probably sits lower than your W58.

ke_70, he has a perfectly fine operational tailshaft, no need to spend (a lot) more to get a 2 piece to fix a dumb problem.

Andyy
24th December 2010, 09:03 PM
ke70 - Yeah pretty much what skylar said i wouldn't replace my one piece for a two to fix something this small.

Skylar - ill measure it tomorrow, that idea seems like the go. Thanks mate i'll post back here with how it went.

Cheers

assassin10000
25th December 2010, 07:06 AM
Sounds like you mounted your W58 too high in the trans tunnel. Got pics of it's location?

Andrew

Andyy
25th December 2010, 11:36 PM
Hey, nah i don't i didn't do the w58 conversion but it just has a homemade plate like 5mm thick fairly flat and i think it has a couple washers under it, i could get pics soonish. how high should the total height of the mount be?

Thanks

Sam-Q
25th December 2010, 11:44 PM
I agree with assassin it's likely your mount is wrong. Perhaps some aluminium plates out of a thicker material such as 20mm between the body and mount will fix your problem? Sure it's crude but structually it's fine if done right.