PDA

View Full Version : Problems starting BP 4a when hot

Dish
26th December 2010, 04:18 PM
Hey guys,

This has been a recurring problem for quite some time but I'm finally getting sick of push starting it.

When I go for a decent drive and the car is fully warm coolant/oil. If I turn it off and try starting it again straight away I can't fire it. It will crank a few times then start getting slower as the battery dies.

If I wait 5 mins it will fire first go no worries and same if it is roll started.

I've checked the battery, runs 12.65v when the car is off and 14.31v when the car is running, so alternator is charging.

Just trying to work out what it is before I set fire to it.

bones
26th December 2010, 04:28 PM
yeah happens to me with my smallport man , no clue maybe starter getting to hot ? :s

Andyy
27th December 2010, 01:18 AM
My smallport also did this when it got hotter than usual at a drift day recently then once cool would start no problems. I think its the solenoid on the starter motor getting lazy when hot.

ryry
27th December 2010, 02:25 AM
hey,
I had a similar issue with an sr20 engine just recently, turned out to be a faulty coolant temp sensor, it was dumping excess fuel for cold start even when it was hot, causing overfuelling, so when I went to start it after parking up for a bit, it would crank and crank but no fire.

could be something to check anyways, im a noob to 4a-ge's =\

Dish
27th December 2010, 09:15 PM
Have unplugged cold start injector, not that it was working anyway, see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help guys. I noticed my starter is missing the heatshield from around the solenoid. Might look into getting a reduction starter anyway.

mild seven
4th January 2011, 08:00 PM
how did this work out?

lolwat
4th January 2011, 08:23 PM
wrap the starter in that heat shield shit (get it from repco)

Dish
7th January 2011, 07:53 AM
Hard to tell, weather has been up and down and not running as hot. But it was still doing it the other day and couldn't find another starter as the day I looked everything was closed. Have one of a mates car yet to go in. Seems like it's just the starter solenoid though.