PDA

View Full Version : Air from oil filler hole. Normal for 20V BT?

Vezza
9th January 2011, 10:51 PM
Hi guys,
Can anyone with a 20V BT tell me if it's normal for a lot of air to be rushing out of the oil filler hole? I've done a compression test which was 190 across all cylinders, however it's eating oil. I'm hoping it's just the stem seals... however was surprised at how much air or potentially blowby (hopefully not) is coming out the oil filler.

Cheers,
Ves

Matt
17th January 2011, 04:28 PM
Check that your pcv valve isn't stuck... Thats the little grey thing on the cam covers...

Pull it out and rattle it and you should hear the ball bearing move.

Vezza
17th January 2011, 05:57 PM
I've checked the entire PCV system and all is well. The valve works fine, both inlet and outlet ports aren't clogged.

Even with the PCV system unplugged with both ports venting to the atmosphere there is still a considerable amount of air rushing out the oil cap hole. I'm hoping this is normal for a 20V as they use shim under buckets and the buckets may act as mini pumps pushing air around the cam covers... fingers crossed.

hachi_dk
17th January 2011, 06:41 PM
all the 20v engines ive ever looked at (about 6) have done the same thing so im assuming its normal. i checked the PCV's on all of them too...

Vezza
17th January 2011, 07:14 PM
Hmm... interesting. I'm guessing it must have to do with the bucket/valvetrain design moving a lot of air around. Cos I've checked my soarer and stagea and both don't even have the slightest hint of air from the filler hole. Could also be the PCV system. Maybe the other 2 engines were designed to have more vacuum (larger PCV valve) in the crankcase compared to the 20V.

But it's such a relief that it's not blow by and all signs point to stem seals now.

hachi_dk
17th January 2011, 11:34 PM
the motor i have now is a very healthy ST20v that still does it yet i also had a blown ST20v that did it too..
i cant figure it out.

Sam-Q
17th January 2011, 11:46 PM
the PCV's on 20V engines are undersized and just don't work well enough

hachi_dk
18th January 2011, 10:05 AM
I have a catch can setup with only half the pcv valve left (i chopped it) and it still does it.
I might remove it completely and replace it with something..

n2866
18th January 2011, 10:45 AM
I've seen this problem too. Beau Yates old bt20v turbo had a spring to hold it down.

Moebius
18th January 2011, 01:21 PM
I don't think it's a problem is it? Just a 4age personality trait.

ae71
18th January 2011, 04:07 PM
I don't think it's a problem is it? Just a 4age personality trait.

just a piston engine trait.

all engines have a little blow by. its perfectly normal.