PDA

View Full Version : Steering feels really light WORRIED!

Shitbox
7th February 2011, 10:58 PM
Hi Ive got a 1984 auto AE71 and all of a sudden I was turning at a roundabout and the steering has gone really really light I dont know if it is still safe to drive and was wondering if anyone has experienced this or know what the problem is im low on cash which is why I havent gone to the mechanics.
P.S I have tried searching google but no real sufficient answers for a non power steering car.

lolwat
7th February 2011, 11:00 PM
THATS SICK! like having powersteering with out actually having it
serious note

when you say light can you move your steering wheel and the car not turn??? (slighty turn it side to side)

Shitbox
7th February 2011, 11:05 PM
haha I love the non power steering feel.
when i turn slightly it still moves but just doesent feel right like kind of a delay when turning left to right very quick if that makes sense.

ke_70
7th February 2011, 11:17 PM
have the rack mounts come loose/fallen off?

jack it up and have a good look at all the steering componets. you'll soon see whats come loose.

Shitbox
7th February 2011, 11:21 PM
I had it on a hoist when i changed the wheels had a quick look at and wiggled everything but I might have to try again it seemed fine. but if the bolts did come loose on the rack you rekon its still ok to drive for a bit?

lolwat
7th February 2011, 11:25 PM
i dont think they would of jsut come loose to be honest unless you have had it out recently and are a weak kent and didnt do them tight enough, more likely to be bushes, but as stated give it a good check over

Shitbox
7th February 2011, 11:31 PM
nah havent touched it all ive changed was struts lcas steering knuckles and i think thats it for the front end ill have to have a better look at it hope doesent cost to much to fix

lolwat
7th February 2011, 11:34 PM
check that the bottoms of the struts haven t come loose or a really bad ball joint

shift_rook
8th February 2011, 01:15 AM
rack mounts can come loose, vibrations from the engine can eventually weaken them if at any point the rack has come out in the cars life, if the car responds fine to small steering inputs i'm not to sure, a fucked out ball joint only creates freeplay, get under the car with a pry bar and go nuts, make sure all bolts are torqued correctly, if you can't figure that out send me a pm and i'll pop over and lend a hand

kaibeecee
8th February 2011, 11:02 AM
are your tires bald?

probably worth checking first.

slydar
8th February 2011, 01:40 PM
toe out.

jakel
8th February 2011, 07:34 PM
sure you weren't sliding around a roundabout and ran up a gutter?

Shitbox
8th February 2011, 10:48 PM
Thanks mate yeah checked it all out seems fine ill be heading to my cousins to see if he can find out whats wrong im hoping he can fix it cause his a mechanic lol this light steering is pissing me off.
rack mounts can come loose, vibrations from the engine can eventually weaken them if at any point the rack has come out in the cars life, if the car responds fine to small steering inputs i'm not to sure, a fucked out ball joint only creates freeplay, get under the car with a pry bar and go nuts, make sure all bolts are torqued correctly, if you can't figure that out send me a pm and i'll pop over and lend a hand

Shitbox
8th February 2011, 10:49 PM
lol nah tyres are fine alignment seems fine and I was going as slow as a turtle around the roundabout.

jakel
8th February 2011, 10:54 PM
ye was only joking.

ke_70
9th February 2011, 11:20 PM
this one confuses me...

does it still turn lock to lock. and is it the same feel turning the wheel? ie not stiff or tight in some spots loose in others?

86TRD
10th February 2011, 02:32 AM
if nothing is loose, and you have changed the struts and such, i would start with getting a wheel alignment and go from there.

Shitbox
10th February 2011, 05:18 PM
Still turns lock to lock but alot quicker and easier just feels light all the way around. I know it confuses the hell out of me.
this one confuses me...

does it still turn lock to lock. and is it the same feel turning the wheel? ie not stiff or tight in some spots loose in others?

Shitbox
10th February 2011, 05:19 PM
Im gonna get it checked out on saturday and hopefully check the alignment aswell to be safe
if nothing is loose, and you have changed the struts and such, i would start with getting a wheel alignment and go from there.

Stain
12th February 2011, 02:07 PM
most suspension places do free safety checks...

86coupe
12th February 2011, 09:11 PM
I think your arms just levelled up.

Shitbox
15th February 2011, 11:28 PM
So im guessing thats better now.
I have been driving it for about 2 weeks now and its the same but nothing going wrong drives the same :S
I think your arms just levelled up.

ke_70
15th February 2011, 11:45 PM
mabey there was just somthing binding up and it just poped out or somthing and what you feel is "normal'' steering...?

have you got a wheel alignment?

Skylar
16th February 2011, 01:59 AM
One time I changed from KE70 struts with 155's on stock wheels to AE86 struts with 15x6.5" +18's with a 195 on them and my steering got a lot lighter.

Shitbox
16th February 2011, 05:04 PM
It turns fine lock to lock but just not that non power steering feel to it. I still have to check the alignment but I changed to ae86 struts and 14 X 7 but it happened when I had the stock 13" on it.