PDA

View Full Version : drill bit sharpener

ae71
22nd February 2011, 12:16 PM
these probably 50 bloody bits sitting on my bench and they are all fooked. well, blunt as can be anyway.

any recommended sharpeners for drill bits? dont want to pay a shit load for one, can i get one that works?

lolwat
22nd February 2011, 08:37 PM
do them yourself??? on bench grinder

ae71
23rd February 2011, 09:53 PM
i suck and have trouble getting the angles right

Casey-G
23rd February 2011, 10:52 PM
agree with lolwat;

get a linisher belt, watch some youtube vids... practice

???

Profit

lolwat
23rd February 2011, 11:00 PM
youtube links and make your self a guage(get angle from google) make out of metal plate and use that as a guide for the angle (get the angle right and twist it as you go over the wheel)

Casey-G
23rd February 2011, 11:05 PM
Just get two hex nuts M12 should be big enough, hole them together on a flat edge n match you bit against that.

Casey-G
23rd February 2011, 11:07 PM
(flat edge being a flat side on either nut)

takai
24th February 2011, 10:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7kGFcM2sc

Quick little howto for you.

n2866
25th February 2011, 12:10 AM
ive done it with a 6 onch grinder,bench grinder, linsher and disk sander and we also have a drill sharpener at work it spins on a handle then goes in and out to suit drill.

ke_70
25th February 2011, 05:04 PM
we have one at home. i havent used it yet but its awesome to not pick up a drill that my retarted brother has ground off centre.

get them from usa ebay. at least half the price. you need a transfromer though...

pen15
27th February 2011, 08:12 AM
use your mits its not to difficult its a good life skill out of 1000 people in the machining business i guarantee only about 10 could do it by hand thank god im not one of them

meadan
27th February 2011, 04:29 PM
Same as what everyone else is saying, its one of those things youd want to learn if you have half an interest in what youre doing.

When I started my apprenticeship, our tafe teacher made us make a quick angle template which we used for drill bits, welding prep and a whole range of stuff, maybe make one and go crazy.

ae71
2nd March 2011, 07:42 PM
okay i tried again on the bench grinder, got 1 win! bit went farken woosh threw the steel. tried another bit. fail, then fail then fail then whoosh. think maybe i just need to do it a few more times.

vid was mildly helpful but my sound doesn't work for some reason so couldnt hear his flapping gob.

Ella Rich
22nd June 2013, 05:36 PM
There are all kinds of complicated jigs and gadgets out there for sharpening drill bits. But the fact is, twist drill bits are actually quite easy to sharpen by hand. And if you mess up, the worst that can happen is that you grind away a few millimeter of drill until you get it right.