PDA

View Full Version : Targa Tasmania

ae71neo
15th February 2009, 02:36 PM
Hey dudes,

Me and dad are coming down to this years Targa for a bit of a looksy. Just wondering if any of you guys have followed it around the state before, would know how the spectating works.

Do we go on the stages before the cars, park up and watch in a special spot? Or are there shuttle buses or something? How do we watch a stage, then get to the next one before them? It doesnt sound possible lol.

Thanks for any help,

Travis

Jonny Rochester
15th February 2009, 03:09 PM
It is not possible to drive around and view every stage, unless your in the zero car.

A lot of locals are happy to find a spot and just watch one stage per day from their spot.

If you have to drive on the Targa stage to get to your viewing spot, you will have to get in there early before the road closes (road closure times should be on the Targa site, or available from the police closer to the event), and you maybe stuck in there for a few hours or 1/2 a day.

If you want to follow the cars around, you want to know where the cars are parked each night. Pick a few spots where there is a access road to get in a watch a stage, then get out and drive to the next one (or the one after that.) When the last car gos through a stage, the first car has probably already completed the stage after that.

It is good to stand on a hairpin and see them all crash, but it's just as good to be at the service place late in the afternoon. A chance to chat to drivers and see bonnets open.

If you pay money, there maybe a VIP viewing tent at some places. This would include a shuttle bus and wine etc.

I was once watching Targa up in the bush with every other bogan and his dog, and this helicopter just landed behind the trees nearby. Minutes later, rich men wearing blue jeans on their day off stumbled out of the bush.

Jonny Rochester
15th February 2009, 03:19 PM
Next thing, is to practice your running commentary on the cars, so other bogans on your corner can be informed of the make and history of each car passing.

Some old Alfa GTV passes at an average speed (the same one I beat in hill climbs), and I clear my voice ready to inform all. "Yeah, that is a Fiat 124. I know this because my Dads uncle built the motor." The crowd is silent for 2min till the next car. lol

klusio
15th February 2009, 04:06 PM
lol jonny you are gonna put comedians out of jobs lol

ae71neo
15th February 2009, 07:41 PM
Ah sweet, thanks mate. So it looks like getting away early and getting a good spot is the way to go?

Thats what we are looking at too, trying to find access roads we can still drive to and from the stages so we can try and beat, or atleast get to another stage viewing spot at the same time as the lead cars.

Keen to check out service too!

Thanks.

s14seriesII
15th February 2009, 09:05 PM
you can usually get to see 2 or 3 stages a day best to plan it out on a map to get into a position that u can get out of without going through the stage

its not much of a spectator thing really too much travelling at high speeds to see all the good stuff :P

Kid Karola
17th February 2009, 04:41 AM
Couple of my mates are running a R32 GTR in this years Targa so will be on the look out for their progress ;)

ae71neo
25th February 2009, 06:03 PM
Thanks for your help. Flights are booked, and good to go. Can't wait!