PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Perth (maybe)

ae71neo
5th March 2011, 07:29 PM
Hey dudes,

So i may be on the move over west. Just wondering what the cops are like towards our little corollas or defects in general in WA? How many drift events are there? Ive seen theres a few at barbagallo but that mc motorsport place looks pretty sweet. Any chance of doing skids there? Are there any good mountain drives?

Thanks guys,

Travis

Nikkojoe
5th March 2011, 09:50 PM
Good mountains???? flat mate :D Nar we do have some hills inland, not really that many good roads and cops are there.

If ya car looks like balls it will get pulled over, but generally we have it much better than over east. No yearly inspections, just pay your rego (ctp) and you are set. If you do get a yellow sticker (defective notice), it can be removed depending on how much of a list they write up. Probably will be for too low, too much track, and maybe a general item or two. Obviously with major conversions you probs need an engineers cert.

MC motorsport wont let you drift. However they tolerate oversteer, no entries though. Barbs and collie (2.5hrs south of perth) are your main tracks. A drift practise held monthly on a friday night at barbs. Collie has the occasional drift assault (check out driftwa.com.au), and burnout and drift comp. Barbs suits bigger hp cars, collie is a little more forgiving for the 4a's.

H8CHIR6KU
6th March 2011, 04:29 PM
its worth coming over just to go to collie drift assualt!!!

wascc is the main club that you will have to join to enter events. you will also need cams license. but they are easy to get. just a couple of forms.
events wise though . we have 6 competitions at barbs, 10 practise events, 2 collie drift assualts (2 day event) and 2 collie drift burnout days. most of those are from start of september thru to april/may though

ae71neo
6th March 2011, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the replies.

No mountains :( I know its blasphemous to talk about it on the forum but is there much street action? Not naming any suburbs or streets obviously....

Just watched the collie drift assault 4 video. So keen for that!

We'll see how everything goes, i may see you there soon.

Todd
6th March 2011, 07:04 PM
there is plenty of industrial area/wide roads/sweeping bends if that counts haha

Skylar
6th March 2011, 07:44 PM
Malaga
Wangara
Osborne park super stage !
Near Todd's house/willeton?
Balcatta industrial area I guess

Nikkojoe
6th March 2011, 10:40 PM
Yeah balcatta...... :)

FLCL
6th March 2011, 10:53 PM
no one does welshpool no more?

worked
6th March 2011, 11:01 PM
where abouts in wa are you moving to?
obviously bringing your bus?

worked
6th March 2011, 11:09 PM
and surely there are some winding roads around!!!

H8CHIR6KU
6th March 2011, 11:14 PM
i hear alot of people over east, tas etc know all about collie drift assualt. from what i heard it has quite a big viewer audience.

its pretty crazy to think that in 14 months word has gotten to the other side of australia about it...

just for others viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvoAmUiw3M4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF1JyYUouq4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPT36EpHpIQ
http://www.vimeo.com/16730534
http://www.vimeo.com/20336419
http://www.vimeo.com/19665783

worked
7th March 2011, 12:42 AM
i've heard bits about it, whats the deal with it? when, how long for
frucking keen to get down there, those vids are mint
whats the go with heaps of people talking about getting shitters for collie?

H8CHIR6KU
7th March 2011, 01:10 AM
so collie is a 2 day event run over sat sun. the next one is later in the year. not sure if wascc is organising it or if i am organising it yet
entrants are maxed at 50. with 8 cars sent on track at a time. takes about 1.10 to finish a lap. so you could imagine that over 2 days you get alot of track time.
just for a reference, over the first 2 collies i got over 120 laps.
becuase this is WA were everyone is sheep and take the easy way out, most people drive silvias or skylines.
this has led to collie killing alot of cars whether it be turbos or cooked motors or blown motors.
the dust is pretty insane and doesnt help either.
the other killer is the walls. the run off is like little marble rocks that leads into tyre walls. there has been about 20 cars hit the wall.
i can only think of a handful that havent been able to go back out tho. this is from people mostly pushing to hard. (myself included)
collie is very friendly to well setup but low power cars. like my 86 was. people have started to realise that.
and as people have gotten better there they are going thru insane amounts of tyres.
so alot of people are just getting into basic setup missile cars that if they die it wont matter.
and being low power they are able to use cheap 15 or 14 and less of them too

then there is the other side of collie. the friday night as everyone rocks up is pretty exciting
huffy sliders come out
then there is the saturday night which usually has everyone having a bbq, bonfire and a few drinks thru the night
it really is awesome and sets a great mood for weeks after.
i havent met anyone that hasnt had a blast at collie

worked
7th March 2011, 01:32 AM
sounds like drift matsuri really
i'm in
i will not miss this!!

H8CHIR6KU
7th March 2011, 03:46 PM
yeah almost...
the only thing is we cant drift at night. the track isnt fenced in and there are no lights. there are lots of kangaroos though. so not exactly safe or smart

worked
7th March 2011, 04:36 PM
looks like an awesome place and great atmosphere
obviously as i just got here with my stock shitbox ke (sold my sprinter to fund the move) i need to find a 4ag
drama ensues

jmorley
7th March 2011, 04:41 PM
We have hill runs just have to no were to go

ae71neo
7th March 2011, 04:56 PM
Im looking at south of Perth, Secret Harbour area. Depends on where the job is though. Collie sounds so good, i hope i can join in the fun.

Corolla is definitely coming, just have to work out how...

worked
7th March 2011, 05:07 PM
i drove from melb after spirit of tas'ing the shit outta the bass straight
its around 2800 km
2.5 days doing 12 hours driving first two days and finishing the rest off on the third day
you will see alot of desert and stay in some seedy motels, but it's fun if your not by yourself
a friend got his car transported from bris and it cost over 2k
other option i should looked into is drive to radelaide then train car to perth from ADL.
apparently it's pretty cheap

ae71neo
7th March 2011, 08:40 PM
Yeah i can train it from Sydney but i dont think its actually going to fit. Might have to fit some standard suspension in it or something for the trip.

worked
7th March 2011, 10:01 PM
4000km with a 4.7 ratio sounds epic!

ae71neo
8th March 2011, 07:53 PM
Haha oh yeah, im definitely not driving it!

H8CHIR6KU
8th March 2011, 08:14 PM
how do you find the 4.7?
are they insane?
does it feel like you can throw the car in any gear?

worked
8th March 2011, 10:49 PM
+1 to that question!
that said, it'd have to be avoidance on all highways!!

ae71neo
9th March 2011, 08:48 PM
Um they're not insane, but they're pretty cool. Certainly dont want to go to a 4.5 or 4.4 anytime soon.

Haha yeah even just cruising at 80 its quite loud. It doesnt see highways so its not much of a problem.

H8CHIR6KU
10th March 2011, 12:54 PM
do you find that you can use third and fourth alot more? instead of second and third?

with alot fo corners i find im limiter bashing in third and want to change to fourth but the car didnt have enough power or unable to get high enough revs in fourth. so just stuck in third but it would die out.
im hoping that change to 4.77 means i can hit fourth and change down to third if need be. being able to rev it up enough and get more speed im hoping i can get through the corners better.

ae71neo
12th March 2011, 09:12 AM
I think changing the diff gears will certainly help you. 1st is nothing though