PDA

View Full Version : Recommened Workshop

Justin Holden
17th February 2009, 08:19 AM
Hi Guys

I'm pretty New to Oz, Have jsut hopped the Ditch from NZ

I am looking at buying an 86 from Melbourne, I am currently in Syndey, I was wondering are there any workshops or people who you would recommend to check out the car for me.

I am keen to buy it, but don't want to fly to Melbourne to find out its a total lemon.

I look forward to your replys.

Cheers

Justin

stahlz_ae86
17th February 2009, 04:42 PM
Where in Melbourne is the car located?

blacktopspirit
17th February 2009, 05:20 PM
any workshop you go to will give you a basic report, and the good work shops are pretty busy to be checking out cars.

you can try Status Tuning in Dandenong, but I'm not sure if he has the time for this sort of thing.

hitoriko
17th February 2009, 07:40 PM
Bang @ Amal Mechanical in the western sub of Deerpark
my family mech for 15yrs and has looked after me and everyone of my cars (see my sig)

im happy to provide phone number if needed

Sam-Q
18th February 2009, 12:24 AM
just get an racv report, they are very good at being thourogh

blacktopspirit
18th February 2009, 06:39 AM
Sam I have to disagree with you, they where the bees knees a few years ago, but all they do now is a basic report looking for shit anyone with half a brain could see themselves

a friend of mine got one done on a Commodore recently and they didn't even do a compression test!

and the report came back with
tyres worn 25%
leaking exhaust
chip in windscreen
paint scratched on rear bar (under car, you may not be able to spot it) yeas it did come in brackets like that!
possibly needs new leads

that was it!

I checked it out and it had a knocking noise from the motor and the diff!!!!

Sam-Q
18th February 2009, 08:46 AM
really? how times change

wasnt just one dodgy branch or do you think they have cutbacks overall in a piss-poor effort to save cash?

Justin Holden
18th February 2009, 09:57 AM
The car is in Northern Suburbs of Melbourne

I'd be happy to pay somebody from here with cash or beer toekns if you are willing to just go have look for me an give me some feed on on the vechile.

Cheers

Justin

blacktopspirit
18th February 2009, 05:19 PM
really? how times change

wasnt just one dodgy branch or do you think they have cutbacks overall in a piss-poor effort to save cash?

cut backs across the board mate, time is money, and with car yards putting pressure on them to offer good certificates on dodgy cars it seems RACV have fallen into the car yards game

yet over 5 years ago I got them to check out a worked 13B in a series 4 RX7 and I got a very detailed 4 page long report, they required the car over night to check compression when cold, and the guy made it clear to me it was a bag of shit!

now they won't even do a Rotary, the report would have looked something like this
slight oil leak from trans
tear in drivers seat
crack in dash
bald rear tyres
paint faded

that tells me nothing! this thing needed new seals, gaskets, trans, diff, electrics! the works! if I got a report like above example I probably would have ended up buying the thing!

Sam-Q
18th February 2009, 08:06 PM
man that sucks, this is a real eye opener for me

hey Justin I just thought of something, dont go to RACV! hehehehhe

Hokey
18th February 2009, 10:36 PM
is this stanzza's 86?

Justin Holden
19th February 2009, 07:59 AM
man that sucks, this is a real eye opener for me

hey Justin I just thought of something, dont go to RACV! hehehehhe

Cheers I will take that on board

Hokey: No it isn't Stazzas 86

Is any body able to help me?

There is $$$ or Beers on offer :)

hachirusto
19th February 2009, 09:26 AM
hey man where abouts in the northern suburbs if its not to far away from me I can go out and have a look at it for you

Justin Holden
19th February 2009, 01:14 PM
hey man where abouts in the northern suburbs if its not to far away from me I can go out and have a look at it for you

Hey cheers man, I'll get some details and flick you a pm will be happy to get you some beers or $$ for efforts

Justin Holden
23rd February 2009, 08:02 AM
Hey Guys

The car is in Greenborough, is that close to anyone?