PDA

View Full Version : Drift Supercup. Mallala, April 9th and 10th.

matt99
28th March 2011, 05:41 PM
Bit of late notice as its only two weeks away, but who is entering DSC this year? Ill be making my first trip over to Mallala for the event along with Nick Wilson from Victoria (JZX100).

Who else form here is going, and what classes are you in?

Heres a bit of infor for those of you who dont know:

DRIFT SUPERCUP
APRIL 9th & 10th

It's not long now until Drift Supercup arrives at Mallala Motorsport Park. This National comp continues to get BIGGER each year. There have already been many enquiries from all around the country and entries are starting to come in.

It's all back again with a few changes....

The money: $12,500 in prize money on offer throughout the event!

Pro Class & Street Class! Australia's best drifters competing for the biggest drift prize pool available in the country ($5000 for the Pro winner).

The Burnouts! The U-Pull It 'Beasts of Burnout' will take to the pad on the Saturday night with two classes, 'Open' & 'Street' ($1500 on the table for the winner of Open & $500 for Street).

Time Attack! With this fast becoming one of Australia's more popular forms of motorsport we will be taking more entries than previous Supercup events to keep up with the demand. This means extra track time and more super quick cars tearing up the Mallala circuit.

Xtreme Entry! This year Drift Supercup is holding its first ever Xtreme Entry Comp.
What does this involve?
It's simple really. Drifters enter on the day for one shot at the infamous turn 1 at Mallala for the most Xtreme Entry. The BIGGEST entry takes home the trophy and bragging rights.
One Shot One Winner!

Interstate Drift Challenge! With entrants from all around the country we give everyone the opportunity to represent their state by teaming up with their fellow statesmen to see which state is the best drift state.
This is a team drift format.

All of this plus much much more!

R&D Mechanical
28th March 2011, 08:25 PM
im there :) street class

matt99
28th March 2011, 09:01 PM
Pwoh, just watched some of your vids on your blog.

Full stressing, haha.

R&D Mechanical
28th March 2011, 09:23 PM
haha you will be right! its the best comp in sa

you camping the night? thats when all the fun starts. what shed number are you?

matt99
28th March 2011, 09:35 PM
Not camping, im staying at Chris Johnson's place, unless he decides to camp as well. Im not sure on the shed number, how/when do I find that out?

R&D Mechanical
28th March 2011, 09:46 PM
well they got sent today so you should get it tommorow! :)

matt99
28th March 2011, 10:21 PM
Cool. Any idea on entrys number yet? A driver list even?

The regs seem confusing, im not sure which corners the comp and qualifying is actually held on.

R&D Mechanical
28th March 2011, 10:43 PM
Dont worry about it, it will be all explained in the drivers brefing, and if you have any questions come find me and il help ya out!

nar i dont think there is yet, might be next week as the entrys close on the 1st so after that i rekon

Delazy
28th March 2011, 11:45 PM
lloyd wont be making the trek it seems..

spirit of tas is booked out and shipping the car via other means is suprisingly expensive...

:( :(

R&D Mechanical
29th March 2011, 12:10 AM
dammmmmmmmm :(

matt99
12th April 2011, 10:21 PM
Well its now Tuesday evening and I think I have finally got the last of the S.A. water taste out of my mouth. You guys need to sort that out, its like I do my teeth, then rinse and have to do my teeth all over again.

Massive long weekend for me. Started on Thursday getting up at 5.30 for work, not long later Nick Wilson calls to say that theres drama's with his tow driver and car, and is on his way to find his own tow car but he does'nt want to do the trip to Adelaide on his own, so I think to myself, who would be a suitable passenger? This person must not only be loud, full of random knowledge that no one really needs to know, speak Spanish, Indonesian, German and Japanese, some Indian (its Adelaide after all, got to be prepared for anything) and be slightly annoying enough to keep someone awake for 9 hours. Albert Smart seemed the perfect option, but a back up was needed. Who has no job or any real commitment's and therefore would definatly be free to accompany someone to Adelaide, you guessed it, Leigh "registered sex-offender" Pidwell. Now that was sorted, I could get on with my day.

Eventually after numerous delays throughout the afternoon and evening we were ready to leave at 10pm, so myself and Karl Matatassoniniousosopolous hopped into the "Five leedah" wagon and with Nick following in the Prado with the remaining two members of the A-team we were Adelaide bound. As you can expect, such a long drive was'nt too exciting, so I wont go into this really. There were a few stops along the way but basically as the clock struck 7am S.A. time (<one of the things that confused us all so much considering half of our phones updated themselfs and the others didnt, sweet arguments went down) we were standing on the doorstep of Adelaides finest, Chris Johnsons house.

The day seems to drag on, with everyone too tired to do anything, yet not willing to destroy sleeping habits by sleeping all day we sat around doing nothing. Leigh explained it was a strange feeling to be awake at 10am, something he has'nt done since he was 13 years old aparantly, so to celebrate, a $24-a slab beer was cracked and by 6.30 we were asleep on the couches.

Finally saturday, as I had never seen the track before I was itching to get there, some say it was crabs, but I say it was excitement. As we rolled into the track we were greeted by clouds, not a friendly sight. The rain carried on throught the morning, making for some interesting runs for myself having never driven the track, nor driven my car in the wet. I couldnt figure out why my car was going to full lock then getting stuck there. Sure enough I had snapped my lock stop off and my knuckle (JDI track spec, for those of you playing at home) was getting stuck ontop of my LCA. After much deliberation and qualifying quickly approaching it only seemed logical to cable tie a C-spanner to my LCA as a lock stop (take that scrutineering). Worked perfectly all weekend.

Qualifying went down well, It dried up and I was loving the track. I kept my eye on the sky and managed to complete my final qualifying run as the rain started to fall on my windscreen. I ended up 5th qualifyer which i was pretty happy with. Nick Wilson put in a good effort to make 9th. Meanwhile over in pro, im not sure where fellow Victorian Matt Goodlet qualifyed but he certainly was putting in some nice lines in his crab walking 32. Unfortunatly speaking of 32's, Chris Johnson managed to smash some tight box... ah, gearbox which ended his day quickly.

Saturday night was spent under a car on a outdoor hoist dropping Chris's busted box and watching Karl, the guru of everything go to work rebuilding. Typical of Leigh, as soon as hard work was mentioned at the track, he decided to leave with someone else. However when the person who Leigh was meant to be with called me asking if I had seen him I knew Leigh would be in full form. The local primary schools were notifyed and police were on call.

Sunday comes around, time to get down to business. Leigh turned up looking a little worse for wear and not having any idea where he had really been. Nick and myself both managed to be bi, I mean, get a bye in the top 32 which very nicely meant we went straight into the top 16. Unfortunatly Nick came up against one of the top qualifyers in a 31 and was knocked out, whilst I had a tough battle with Kelly Wong in her Cefiro and eventually got through to the top eight. I struck it pretty lucky with the weather on the sunday, it always seemed to dry up before my battles. The top 8, I mangaed to knock out the "Urban Chicken R33", such a strange name for a car, yet it did make me quite hungry. Food was in order, so over to the cheap health food vans for some quality grub, however my appetite was somewhat ruined by a young mother-to-be telling me how it would be so much easier if they just ripped babies out by the f*c*ing legs. Good god, where was Albert when you needed him.

The top four saw my having to battle the number one qualifyer. I knew it would be hard, but I seemed to handle my chase run reletively well however I cracked under pressure in my lead run and put the sprinter backwards in the first corner, effectively ending my aspirations to battle Davey Clarke (life long dream) in the final. Instead I went into the battle for third with Phil Branson(?) who luckily for me was having clutch issues which allowed me to go under him in my chase run and take the battle for third place.

All in all a good weekend I thought. The car still runs, no one is locked up and Racin' Jason finally worked out that my name is in fact Matt and not Mitchell. Big congratulations too all the competitors, especially Davey Clarke (1st, street), Adam (or Aaron? Sorry man) Cece (2nd, street). Also Simon Michelmore, Tom Monkhouse and Christian Pickering (top three in pro).

Theres one thing I must ask though, why are we Victorians know as Mexicans over there, Is'nt Mexico usually regarded as South of the border? Last map I looked at we were East of you guys. Oh well, we can let that slip as you know how to put together a damn good event with some damn good drivers. Kudos to you Drift supercup / Mallala raceway.

bones
12th April 2011, 10:29 PM
good read man. anyone have any pics?

matt99
12th April 2011, 10:58 PM
Theres some on NS I think. Ill wait a couple more days to see if more pop up, then link them over.

Mr Awsome
13th April 2011, 12:14 AM
was good to have a chat with you matt. you had a good weekend out there.

Twinky
13th April 2011, 11:24 AM
Aleays love seeing the KE70/AE86 representation out at Mallala as they always make me happy in the pants. Not just because I like them but because it seems as though the KE70s achieve a HEAP more lock than any of the other drifters out there.
I remember a year ago when I went out to a drift comp and there were these two KE70/AE71 both running 4AGTEs and my god those two were the cream of the crop. Always side by side, kidd you not only half a meter apart on the corners running full lock 90 degrees to the entry.
Even before entering turn 1 they were drifting in the opposite direction to the corner, snapping it back to enter turn 1 at an insane proximity and angle, what ever happened to those blokes??? I beleive one of them was a red and the other was a white keto?
Anyhow that was one fantastic weekend and cheers to all the competitors out there putting on a fantasctic show, congrats to the winners.

AJPS
13th April 2011, 01:55 PM
only knobs call vics mexicans

'over the border' is the only meaning behind it, but given SA touches all mainland states...

matt99
13th April 2011, 05:21 PM
only knobs call vics mexicans

'over the border' is the only meaning behind it, but given SA touches all mainland states...

Haha, im assuming your thinking of the exact person that I am.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Delazy
13th April 2011, 07:02 PM
Haha, im assuming your thinking of the exact person that I am.

http://images1.au.reastatic.net/71x88/salespeople/160926/1/20110207000000.jpg

?????????????????????????????

matt99
13th April 2011, 07:41 PM
Haha, I half knew you might chime in Lazy. You and he are best mates yeah?

Delazy
13th April 2011, 08:01 PM
Haha, I half knew you might chime in Lazy. You and he are best mates yeah?

oh mate, we're on first name basis these days lol...which reminds me, havent heard from him in abit...might well get another nasty pm after my previous post tho lol...

i will add, after watching a few youtube videos from the event, he certainly hasnt improved his commentary...especially when alot of his fuck ups are local drivers whom compete regularly...

look forward to seeing him again at world time attack :)

AJPS
13th April 2011, 09:05 PM
i used to say things back in the day

he makes horrible posts on NS

and should of never kept his job as a commentator.

matt99
13th April 2011, 10:04 PM
I cant see him doing much better in real estate, there were many times on the weekend when I felt like throttling him. Calling me Mitchell, calling my car N/A as it fluttered past the tower every lap, making shit jokes. Haha.

Speaking of commentary, Vicdrift is looking for someone to do it at Drift attack as Mozz had to drop out. You should put your hand up Lazy, you have the knowledge.

claw
13th April 2011, 10:22 PM
hahaha mc at a comp, ill do it sober as!!

ive been banned from bmx events in victoria....oops

matt99
13th April 2011, 10:57 PM
I think they already said no to Talky, your essentially Talky with a deeper voice and a gut. Perfect for the job. Haha.

claw
13th April 2011, 11:04 PM
im wayy better than that cunt, im louder, i talk at a human pace, im a mutant, and im better than everyone on earth at talking shit apart from dao

Delazy
13th April 2011, 11:36 PM
Speaking of commentary, Vicdrift is looking for someone to do it at Drift attack as Mozz had to drop out. You should put your hand up Lazy, you have the knowledge.

Cant get the time off work and im majorly poor atm lol... :( i did see yoshi asking around on facebook and consider it for a split second tho... Id prolly annoy people too much tho, id know more about a few drivers cars than they actually do lol

R&D Mechanical
14th April 2011, 02:24 PM
jason is quiting at the end of the year anyways hhaa

i have a sr20 ke70 :P

matt99
14th April 2011, 09:48 PM

Good riddance.

You mean supercharged 4K yeah? Haha.

MeZ Prod
14th April 2011, 09:54 PM
Edit: just realised i am tripping!

matt99
14th April 2011, 10:31 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary.

driftnick13
17th April 2011, 04:28 AM

but who will call when someone is going for a pass?

Dom86
18th April 2011, 12:37 AM
There was a bunch of guys who went over from WA I'm sure you know....
They all seemed to have had a really good time, despite destroying there own and each other cars. There was much carnage among the WA crew......
They were particularly impressed with how relaxed the officials take the drift scene, unlike our Nazi state.

Sound like you guys have it pretty good over there...Good track, good people, good fun....

Delazy
18th April 2011, 01:20 AM
There was a bunch of guys who went over from WA I'm sure you know....
They all seemed to have had a really good time, despite destroying there own and each other cars. There was much carnage among the WA crew......
They were particularly impressed with how relaxed the officials take the drift scene, unlike our Nazi state.

Sound like you guys have it pretty good over there...Good track, good people, good fun....

Must b pretty bad in WA then...most of the SA guys i speak to regularly are venturing to victoria and tassie due to not being happy with how things are done in SA :s

Of the events ive attended as a spectator, victoria has it fairly sorted lately, massive improvements over the last 12 months...but tassie still seems to be the most solid competition outside of stadium drift qld..

matt99
18th April 2011, 05:16 PM
I don't think anyone is happy in any of their home states except for the Tassie girls. Hence why I have never done a comp in Vic (will be in 3 weeks) yet I have done basically the last 7 or so events in Tassie and also done DSC now. I found Mallala to be really well run, quite relaxed as mentioned and an overall great event held by them. Maybe the issue lies withing becoming bored of our own tracks/officials/commities so we venture elsewhere and because its something new, we're more open to accept the way things are done and run?

Yes Dom86, met the dude in the black sprinter from WA, was so shattered when he hit the tyres in that thing. He seemed like a really nice guy (forget his name, Lloydy?), and his set up is almost exactly what im currently building. Power and looks wise that is.

Dom86
18th April 2011, 11:50 PM
Yeh that was Lloydylishious :P as we sometimes call him. He's making plans for the fix up, in fact we had our last round of the WA championship on sunday and he was driving the pant off it as usual, dents and all.
Looks like a real 'missile' now.
He took another hit in the drivers door over the weekend too. But it's cool cos nothing was dented that wasn't already dented :P

With regard to things over here, I think it's run ok, it's just that it feels like we get treated like kids.
No this no that, we cant do that cos it's too dangerous...
FFS only in the last year they started to take 10 cars to the start line on practice nights, but no drift trains, no passengers unless training,.....
CAMS (Comity Against Motor Sport) has taken most of the fun out of drifting. We even have a CAMS official at every round now.

ke_70
20th April 2011, 11:18 PM
sa is slowly going to get real gay i think.

pretty sure that you cant race without windscreen wipers anymore. how shit is that!