PDA

View Full Version : where the hell do you buy cheap shit box old bikes?

slydar
17th February 2009, 07:30 PM
i want a sub $1000 dunga.

anything really.

250cc or under, be better if it had lights. dont seem to be any in the places i look.. everything seems to start at 2k.

marlon
17th February 2009, 07:52 PM
if you keep an eye out on the trading post and ebay you'l easily find a shit box for under $1000

Axentrik
17th February 2009, 08:22 PM
should be able to pick up a late 80s early 90s xr250 for around that price. an reason for being 250cc or under??

slydar
17th February 2009, 08:39 PM
xr is actually exactly what i want. i dont care how old.

250 cos i dont even have my ls. and im happy to ride a 250, pretty sure q ride is over in qld so thats all im allowed anyway.

i just need it as a donor to build an ICV out of.. but i would probably rego it and ride it first.

Axentrik
17th February 2009, 08:49 PM
no point settling for a real old one when ya could almost definitely get something around about a 90 model for a grand maybe a bit more or less depending on how much ya shop around.

Just Bikes magazine would be your best bet

driftke70
17th February 2009, 09:09 PM
trading post, word of mouth, ive got an old 600 hanging around.

theres a place in yandina, moto wreck, give them a bell.

slydar
17th February 2009, 09:38 PM
Just Bikes magazine would be your best bet..........

nup. nothing in there ever under 2k. anyway, i was seeing if the existed, i guess they do.

Hokey
17th February 2009, 11:43 PM
i don't think you'll find an xr250 for a grand. especially a running late 80's early 90's model. they are good reliable bikes and hold there value well.

you want road reg? have a look at dirtbikeworld forum sometime some cheapies come up in the classifieds

marvis
18th February 2009, 12:02 AM
ICV?

marvis.

slydar
18th February 2009, 12:14 AM
i don't think you'll find an xr250 for a grand. especially a running late 80's early 90's model. they are good reliable bikes and hold there value well.

you want road reg? have a look at dirtbikeworld forum sometime some cheapies come up in the classifieds

cheers, thats the type of info i need.

marvis. Individually constructed vehicle. its the name given to usually cars, but also bikes, which is basically home made.

clubmans ect are icv's. as are other kit cars ect.

i dont think im gonna get around to it any time soon. but i thought this was a good place to ask.. i could base it on a pit bike even, but an air cooled 250 enduro/trail bike would be ideal. even a motor cross bike would be ok, but lights are an issue, so like even an rmx? or wr or something. i dunno its been ages since i was into bikes.

it will kinda look like a cross between a speedway bike and a bobber. mid control, really basic, skinny road tires front and back, clip on bars, low.

i just want something that is more conveniant to get around the city in, than a fucking car. dont really want something fast or anything like that. i would prolly gear it so its punchy but tops out at like 120.

marvis
18th February 2009, 12:15 AM
Thanks for spelling it out for me :)

Sounds like a fun project. Good luck with finding a base.

marvis.

Axentrik
18th February 2009, 03:11 AM
slydar you have pm

driftke70
19th February 2009, 10:31 AM
you get the odd basket case hopping around for like 300 bucks, i bought an xr500 for 350, an xr100 for 200, xr75 for 150, they are pretty fucking easy to rebuild, find one with a fucked engine or something.

The lights can be an issue for motocross bikes but its not overly difficult to adapt a coil onto one. Each model has kits you can buy online for like 100 bucks. To make cr/yz/kx/rm and all that have a headlight. Blinker control go to the wreckers and swipe one or something like an xr, wrs have got shithouse road gear.

slydar
19th February 2009, 01:20 PM
ok sweet, good to know i can do lights on a 2 stroke mxer.

have a more decent think about getting one, i am hella down for some 2 stroke action.

up to what yeah untill they use the chrome or whatever bore? the one you cant bore out. like 93? or?

driftke70
19th February 2009, 03:09 PM
you can bore em all out up to present, just gotta re sleve them, even the ones you dont have to sleve its pretty much recommended.
96 was the last year of the steel frame for the cr, kx was always a steel perimiter, might make what you wanna do a little easier.

Ive got an obsession for two stroke motorbikes, if you drop those parts off at mine you can have a ride :DD

matt99
19th February 2009, 05:47 PM
you can bore em all out up to present, just gotta re sleve them, even the ones you dont have to sleve its pretty much :DD

Re-nickesil.

LittleRedSpirit
19th February 2009, 06:25 PM
Its hard getting anything complete, reliable and worth owning,for under a grand like Beally said, there are deals but they will need work.

Idiot I know bought a YZ250 2000 model 2 stroker for 1600 cause he screwed a guy who was seriously in debt.

Just have to be there at the right place, right time.

The Jap bikes hold their value for good reason. By the time they are old enough to be found cheaply, they appreciate again for some reason. My dad bought a 6 cylinder honda 750 road bike new for 3000, about 30 years ago. He just saw a mint one for sale for 16000 in just bikes.

Good luck in your quest.

If you get a bike together and want to ride, I desperately need someone to go riding with! I have a nice big ute too.:hehe:

driftke70
19th February 2009, 08:13 PM
i have ute and bike and lack of ride buddies, when ever your keen dude

steroidchickens
19th February 2009, 08:57 PM
i went looking for a cheap bike. only problem i had was i wanted rego. ups the price by a grand or 2. started out with a budget of $4500. ended up getting a brand new ktm 300exc. you have to look for a while to get a bargain. i got sick of looking. and ktm had one in stock. wanted to go riding that weekend. haha.
its just about being in the right place at the right time i guess. i have gotten bargains before. but when you are looking for a specific thing it gets hard.

slydar
19th February 2009, 10:28 PM
yeah. thats one thing in my favor. im not picky.

i was a suzuki kid growing up. now i dont care. obviously hondas are loved for a reason, but im not like "has to be honda". i dont care if its a trail bike of mx either.

Hokey
20th February 2009, 08:54 AM
rmx250's are cool bikes. full reg capabilities on certain years onwards (not sure which though :S), 2 stroke so cheap to maintain, light and powerful. i think you'd have to stretch the budget to 1500 or even 2k. if you have 2k you can get a reliable bike that'll get you to the bush and back and won't be a complete POS.

LittleRedSpirit
20th February 2009, 08:57 AM
I prefer MX bikes for trail riding. This thing kills the trails.

Not so huge on the crusty esque big air yet, but Im learning. I grew up riding in the bush.

driftke70
20th February 2009, 12:54 PM
i ride an 07 cr250, 2 banger all the way

johl
20th February 2009, 02:45 PM
my mate got an awesome honda spada out of the trading post for 1000. been dropped a few times but what 250 hasnt. new exhaust, chain and sprocket and it was on the road. right place right time i suppose

LittleRedSpirit
21st February 2009, 11:09 AM
i ride an 07 cr250, 2 banger all the way

Yeah, 2 bangers give the best bang for buck for sure. I've just always liked my 4 stroke bikes. I grew up riding 600s and 650s in the Simpson desert, so I love my big bore bikes. Just love the fact that there's power everywhere. From bottom revs to top. You should see my mate trying to get his IT490 up a sandhill. More like sandblasting.

If Id have grown up doing motocross it probably would have been a different story.

Just spent yesterday at the Gold Coast Motorcycle expo. Saddest thing was that Honda was a no show. Biggest sales figures in the industry and they avoid the trade shows? That kinda upset me, having always ridden Hondas. It just goes to show how far the effects of this economic crisis go. Hondas car business is failing and their MC business is strong. That's no reason to avaid the trade shows, if you ask me.

driftke70
21st February 2009, 02:20 PM
it would be more about australias decision and being lazy cunts then the financial situation.

i can assure you, a properly jetted cr250 with a good mix can make decent power right through the rev band, just more up top than others.

LittleRedSpirit
21st February 2009, 08:21 PM
The difference I've noticed is the top speed and high speed pull that a 4 stroke has.

I dragged my mates YZ250 and I had him pipped in every gear, but when I went into fifth he was already at top speed. I got up to around 130 and he was probably flat doing 110.

It comes down to gearing too, of course. We will have to ride sometime soon and check each others hardware out.:jdmsmile:

On trails you never hit top speed anyhow so its pretty Irrelevant.

I enjoy riding the 2 strokers most definately, but if I was riding all day Id want my 4 stroke.

sr_rolla
22nd February 2009, 12:25 PM
Slydar, if your looking to make something out of a mx'er I'd find a local bike wrecker and befriend him, drop round regularly and wait till he gets a crashed xr or something in. I mean your after a dirt bike so i image there would b a few bent ones about for cheap.

Driftke70: what condition is that xr600 u mentioned in? and how much :-P

driftke70
22nd February 2009, 03:17 PM
it has been rebuilt quite recently, but its sort of mine and my dads little project, any is for sale for a price.

sr_rolla
23rd February 2009, 08:15 PM
Dammit! im kinda looking for a basket case, preferably a little bent so i can build something else out of it.

luke
23rd February 2009, 09:08 PM
have a look around swapmeets? probly not much help know, but the one in ballarat on the weekend had a heap of shitty cheap bikes.

sr_rolla
24th February 2009, 10:30 PM
Yeah, the swap meet at bathurst the other week had a heap aswell but they were either to new, to expensive or, for some reason, old school yamaha 360cc (i think) 2 strokes. There was like 8 of those yamaha things there