PDA

View Full Version : Help now asap emergency (insert other in your face words)

scott_22
19th February 2009, 10:36 AM
does anyone know where or if there is a diagram on how to pull a diff centre out of a ketto. there is a guy coming round in an hour to weld mine and i need to get the centre out and cleaned up!!! someone help!!! better yet if your on the sunny coast some help me please!!!!!!!!!!

Jonny Rochester
19th February 2009, 10:55 AM
Take both axles out.

Take back cover plate off.

Lever the thing out with a big bar. Note what shims are on either side. (Some workshops have a diff spreader to stretch the housing apart, you don't have this).

scott_22
19th February 2009, 10:58 AM
i mean how do you take the axles out....complete noob need noob english explination

Jonny Rochester
19th February 2009, 11:01 AM
Take wheels off

Take drums off, may need 2 M8 bolts if its tight.

Take shoes off. Disconnect brake tubes maybe.

Use a socket, 14mm, undo the 4 nuts seen behind the brake shoes. Pull axle out.

johl
19th February 2009, 11:36 AM
i wouldnt be welding on a centre that just came out. i'd wanna let it dry over night unless u like fires

scott_22
19th February 2009, 11:43 AM
how do i get the drums off?

adam
19th February 2009, 11:59 AM
Put hand brake down, turn the drum until it slides off.

Axles could be a little hard to take out as well, could require a slide hammer or just put drum on backwards, put two nuts on, turn nuts 3 times each, and slide that like a slide hammer.

Toy-Yoda
19th February 2009, 12:40 PM
Weld the center while it's still in the diff?

I've done that before, just keep a damp blanket handy JIC.......

LittleRedSpirit
19th February 2009, 12:49 PM
A good trick if the axles are stuck is to bolt a length of heavy chain onto the wheel studs and then use the heaviest long metal object you can find to slide hammer it off by ripping on the chain. Works awesome with a car on a hoist or securely sitting on stands.

Robo86
19th February 2009, 12:58 PM
i just put the drum back on but flipped and throw 2 wheel nuts on then proceed with the hammer time

70XIN
19th February 2009, 01:32 PM
i agree with robo

kinda semi-violent way of doing it, but works on every diff every time

blair
19th February 2009, 04:43 PM
http://bloggando.fabioangius.net/img/musica/mc_hammer.jpg

marlon
19th February 2009, 11:12 PM
loll random pic?^^^
welded mine while it was in,i wrapped the bearings and my fuel pump with foil and was fine appart from the oil catching on fire a couple of times.

scott_22
20th February 2009, 02:30 AM
its all done. i nutted it out. thanks for the help guys. its a bit noisey though. is that normal?