PDA

View Full Version : i have no money but love drifting 180sx

driftnick13
12th May 2011, 08:04 PM
i swapped my 4AGE AE86 for a 180sx about a year ago

had a CA18DET, T25g, fuel pump, GTR intercooler, K-sports coilovers, custom exhaust, full origin kit with wide rear gaurds, made 152kw on 12psi, had no paint so did a cheapo white paint job, looked good for about a week lol

replaced the rear coilovers with some teins from my brothers drift car, put in a 4.1 ratio diff with a new shim in it, Bride reclinable, some random 16's i got because they had tyres, steering rack spacers

did my 1st drift day at drift school last year, went good but after it noticed the engine had a small knock, did a private day at mallala at the end of last year and that small knock by the end of the day was a horrible rattle, still got the most track time out of anybody that went tho :))

replaced the dead CA18DET with a CA18DE i got for free, new engine made 160kw on 12psi with heaps more power down low tho i run around 9-10psi atm, got some federal 595ss's for the front and replaced a few other small things

last Saturday i went to drift school, was a great day, at the start i had some issues with oil pissing out of somewhere, made a catch can so all the oil would go into that (worked great), also one of the vacuum lines on my boost controller came off so i ran max boost for a few runs, pumped out heaps of tyre smoke then broke down, handbrake was work a lot better then the last drift days but still not 100%, if i went flat out it worked fine but would get slowed down a lot by other cars and it didn't work so well then

did turn 1-2 for most of the day, was the only corners i felt i had a hard time doing, went from shifting down to 2nd to just holding it in 3rd, flat out the whole way around the corners and a bunch of clutch kicks:P feels pretty epic when you flick it for turn 2 hit full lock and keep your foot down:))

at the start of the day i used my Contour HD on my helmet, video below and the rest of my helmet car videos are on my youtube channel

VUkEYlaoABs

one of my runs that my brother filmed from the stands

N6juHt1zCyE

noob didn't get the runs i ran max boost lol

will edit and upload all my other in car footage soon, is a preview of what i looks like on my channel, had the camera mounted on the rear hatch for the last 2 practice sessions tho my battery went flat half way through the 2nd one :(

here is what my car looked like not long after painting it

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/2/1/51324.jpg
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/2/1/51325.jpg

and the only pic i have of what it looked like before paint
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/2/1/69377.jpg

future plans are to run 15-16psi on the T25g, fit R33 rear brakes i have lying around and try to enter the next G1 and Stadium drift rounds

ke_70
13th May 2011, 09:47 PM
paint looks good. seems like heaps of fun to.

get some wheels!

driftnick13
15th May 2011, 11:31 PM
paint looks good. seems like heaps of fun to.

get some wheels!

wheel money is being spent on other things:P also the paint atm is far worse, all the bog that last owner did is cracking and because there is no clear coat it gets stained pretty easy, I'll try to take some new pics of it soon

going to start buying all the gear to put a RB20 in it

hachi_dk
29th May 2011, 10:50 PM
Oo yer rb20!
with my limited experience with rb20s (iv got an rb24, fully built motor making 247kw on a safe tune) and it is soooo nice and torquey but will still loves sitting at 7000+,

IMO rb20 > sr20
6 cyl > 4cyl as logic would tell me that the more cylinders, the more that the load is spread out therefore meaning more reliable

*but of course any properly built motor that is maintained should last. In theory anyway!

Nice 180btw!

phillb
30th May 2011, 07:02 PM
Nice 180, reminds me of my old one..

driftnick13
31st May 2011, 06:02 PM
Oo yer rb20!
with my limited experience with rb20s (iv got an rb24, fully built motor making 247kw on a safe tune) and it is soooo nice and torquey but will still loves sitting at 7000+,

IMO rb20 > sr20
6 cyl > 4cyl as logic would tell me that the more cylinders, the more that the load is spread out therefore meaning more reliable

*but of course any properly built motor that is maintained should last. In theory anyway!

Nice 180btw!

i was going to buy a turbo,nistune and AFM to make 200kw on my CA18 but thought the money would be better spent on getting a RB20 + i can get a RB20 and everything to fit it for pretty cheap (way cheaper then a SR20 thanks to friends having spare rb20's lying around) and make the 200kw i want pretty easy

got a private track day coming up on the 17th of June, just bought another battery and SD card for my camera, should be good to record about 4 hours of footage, will also put it in my brothers S13 silvia and get some decent footage of him following me

hachi_dk
3rd June 2011, 07:37 PM
nice work dude.
more vids!!!

driftnick13
19th June 2011, 12:50 AM
had a private drift day at Mallala yesterday, track was wet then dry then wet again, filmed a bunch of it in my car and my brothers car + some helmet cam at the end of the day

new tyres had to much grip and i was down on power so i ran some old tyres i had, should have ran more boost but i didn't, car would hardly spin 2nd sometimes on the esses :cries:

hit the tyre stacks on the inside of the 1st corner on the esses like 4 times, went backwards into the tyre stacks coming onto the straight and did no damage:sunnies: pretty much everybody hit the tyre stacks, when i went backwards into them someone in a R33 hit them in front of me and i got it on film:P

car split a heater hose and over heated, fixed it easy tho, 700ml oil catch can filled up twice (doesn't go back into the engine), need to fix that before the next track day

trying to upload videos to youtube atm but its stuffing them up, i either have huge black bars or the picture looks terrible >|

some videos here

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1812111984277&comments

^^^my brother following me in his s13

^^^last run of the day, finshing off some tyre's

Jman_KE70
19th June 2011, 02:34 PM
good vids mate, i hate those tyres on the 1st corner into the esses i've come close to hitting them a few times it was pure luck i didnt.

driftnick13
20th June 2011, 06:48 AM
N5MyqPGzjSY

same video from my facebook, uploaded it to youtube

good vids mate, i hate those tyres on the 1st corner into the esses i've come close to hitting them a few times it was pure luck i didnt.

i just clipped them, did a little damage but that guard was bent before anyway:P i didn't even notice a few of the times that i hit them

edit : 5UwL7HDES4I

another video:)

driftnick13
23rd July 2011, 03:10 PM
had a private day at tailem bend yesterday, split 2 heater hoses which took hours to fix but still killed all the tyres i had

pretty much just did tandem runs all day with my brother, filmed a bunch of them with my camera and waiting for some footage a friend filmed while standing on the track

pics below of my new wheel and my brother following me

2 of my runs following my brother

dNyCELeVILA

edit : some more, last 2 runs are the ones from the in car video

5kEqbaTqytI

my brother with dead tyres following me, his car had some issues that stopped him from being consistent

EFkZc3sCaVU

driftnick13
19th September 2011, 10:45 AM
went drifting on Friday at Mallala, had some issues with the engine breaking down a little and having crap all power under like 4000 rpm but had some epic tandem runs with Stewy (nisskid), Corey Yates and some other people i don't know :P

here are some runs i uploaded to youtube, will slowly upload more and make a longer video with all my solo runs

-Z12SPbxBOA

7YXWcheyXJI

KmS1Q7lgDIw

uploaded a bunch on facebook, if you are friend of one of my friends you should be able to see it, if not i'll be uploading them all to youtube anyway

http://www.facebook.com/video/?id=1284348987

got myself a Power FC and hand controller, hope to get that tuned before Stadium drift at tailem bend in November, my brother and I should both be entering the pro final

few other small things to fix before then, also hope my gearbox lasts because it whines pretty loud after the clutch kicks i gave it trying to spin 3rd:hehe:

beauboostr
19th October 2011, 08:52 PM
Hey could u post how u had your ca18s pcv system setup and uf u had any other mods to stop oil build up in head at revs