PDA

View Full Version : RWD 4a backing plates, auto/man

RobertoX
19th February 2009, 12:20 PM
Are 4ac backing plates (the thin plate between gearbox and the engine) the same between auto and manual?

Also is the starter motor between auto and manual the same?

Thanks
Rob

Jonny Rochester
19th February 2009, 02:25 PM
The plates are different. The auto one has an inspection hole, so you can undo the torque converter bolts.

I am not sure if the starter is in the extact same place or not. It would come close.

RobertoX
19th February 2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks Jonny,

So can an auto plate be used with a manual gearbox? (with the inspection blocked up)

Also, is the starter motor itself the same? ie can I get an auto starter (say out of an auto ae71) and use it on a T50?

Sam-Q
20th February 2009, 08:34 AM
Thanks Jonny,

So can an auto plate be used with a manual gearbox? (with the inspection blocked up)

Also, is the starter motor itself the same? ie can I get an auto starter (say out of an auto ae71) and use it on a T50?

I dont see why the sandwich plate couldnt be used. The starter motor will be fine

RobertoX
20th February 2009, 10:54 AM
Thanks sam... I It would be different if the bellhousing flange between the auto an manual are different. I'll check it out this weekend, there's an auto ae at centre rd

Sam-Q
20th February 2009, 10:57 AM
well its going to be easier for you to find out now that I took the engine mounts off that engine and left a seat belt there on the engine hooks to lift it by, hehehehe

also I have a starter for sale for $20 if your interested