PDA

View Full Version : Chvzdings T-18 / TE72 hillclimb and drift car

chvzding
14th May 2011, 02:11 PM
Chvzding's TE72 Build

I figure I may as well put up this car given that it will turn into a project and nothing says project car like having a build thread.

So, it is a 1982 TE72 in a lovely light blue. Bought with a rebuilt 3t-c, pacemaker extractors and loud exhaust made up of random parts. Pictures will be up Monday.

Plan: to piece together a cheap hill car that can handle the odd drift day. The idea will be to keep things relatively simple. Lightened, upgraded parts where necessary and a few modifications that I just want to try out.

Planned Modifications:

Engine/Driveline:
3T-C
4 x motorcycle carburettors (off an early Yamaha R1)
NGK plugs
Max Heavy Duty Top Gun leads
Double valve springs
Bigger camshaft (Crow, maybe? Still researching)
Extractors DONE
Exhaust system DONE
Upgraded coil/ignition (Spitfire possibly?)
Exedy heavy duty clutch DONE

Suspension:
AJPS Control arms
Bushes (SuperPro) DONE
AJPS Adjustable panhard rod
Appropriate springs and shocks front and rear (pref Koni/Bilstein and Kings Springs) DONE
Whiteline Sway Bars
Strut braces front and rear
Rack and pinion upgrade

Wheels/Tyres
14x6 whatever they are all round - in fact when i put some pics up could someone identify these for me? I have no idea what they are. Light though. They sit fine for a hill climb car but probably aren't "foooly hektik" enough for you drift guys :P
Random tyres. I tend to go through them.

Exterior
Deleted rubber strips
Quad headlights
Debadged

Interior
AE86 seats or similar
Registered as two seater
Guages: tachometer, water temp, oil temp, voltage

Other
Battery moved to boot in sealed container, container has built in battery tester. Bolted and strapped down. Vented.
Replacing every bolt i can find with a high tensile, stainless, hex-headed bolt. Easier to get in and out plus it looks better.

So yeah its a short project, and other than using motorcycle carbs its not too innovative but in keeping it simple I hope to extend reliability. Anyway as above pics will be up right now :P

jakel
14th May 2011, 09:02 PM
Pics please! how did you get the quad lights to fit?

chvzding
14th May 2011, 10:31 PM
Okay I haven't fitted the quad lights yet but it is fairly simple. Essentially its the same as fitting jdm quad lights to a flat front but bring a dremel to the party to make a few minor modifications to the stock grill and bolt holes. I can make up a guide when I get around to it...

Pics will be up on monday as above, its not a particularly pretty example though haha

jakel
14th May 2011, 10:34 PM
You do know that T18 guards are much longer than ke70 ones? I tryed fitting JDM quad lights and they sit in too far as the T18 guards are longer, and you cannot just bolt on flat front guards as the door lines are different, but if you can get them to work I am very interested.

chvzding
14th May 2011, 11:04 PM
I do know this and you can get them to fit. I have done it twice, you do need to make a few small modifications to the guards but it is doable. Alternatively I think we worked out that you can make a guard swap and it works out fine... Can't remember which guards we tried though. Pretty sure it was flat front KE70? Heres a link though from someone who basically did what I did, you convert the guards to flat front ones (need to make up a couple of small brackets...) and then change the grill. Then its just the same as converting a flat front. You do need to make a bracket for the headlights. This thread is pretty poor because it only shows the results and not the process on the second page:

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/21665-mods-on-a-t18-te72-front/

There are two main camps with this. You can convert the guards and swap to jdm quad lights OR you can order a re-manufactured quad light front assembly from the USA for TE72 corollas. A few years ago it was cheaper to convert to JDM lights but now the AUD is so strong its probably not that much different in terms of cost. Personally I want to try something different with mine. I will put up pictures as I go.

Delazy
14th May 2011, 11:34 PM
nice work dude, have a looksy over my ke70 build...quite similar ;)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/125-LAZYs-KSEV

ive already done quite some research into cam etc...give me a yell if you wanna bounce ideas...

chvzding
15th May 2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks Delazy, once pictures are up you probably won't say the same things - its not particularly pretty haha... I will hit you up for ideas with cam selection though.

I think I have a Toyota problem and I never realised. Between this, the MX32 Cressy, the Soarer and my old AE71 I think I have issues.

Oh also forgot to add that any bolts I find will be replaced with high tensile stainless hex headed bolts. Mostly because it looks better, partly because they are a touch lighter and easier to remove in a hurry. Also picked up a Bosch lithium ion driver with hex bits so it is an absolute piece of cake to get them in and out.

Delazy
15th May 2011, 06:37 PM
lol, you haven't seen my car up close...

chvzding
16th May 2011, 07:42 PM
Okay then as I said here is some pics of how it was when I got it home. Its erm... Filthy. Now I am not the best person to ask when it comes to wheel identification but what the hell are the rims that I put on this? Picked them up for bugger all... Really light rims.

Pics of how it arrived:

The good side:

The bad side:

The arse:

The super funky autobarnz seat covers and steering wheel cover... Yet to get the balls up to remove them to see the horrors that lay underneath... I expect Cthulhu himself (itself?):

Yes that says 520,XXX kilometres. Recipt for rebuild at 400,00ks is in the glove box.

The might within. Ok, well it is a bit asthmatic those with sharp vision will notice the top radiator hose is off, but the top hose goes somewhere... That is because there is a massive crack running through the radiator. Drops water faster than you put it in. Hooked inlet to outlet and filled it with water. Fine for moving it around but a replacement is being organised:

I lied. Not Pacemaker extractors but Genie ones. Still look half decent. Sand, and heat treatment to come:

The wheels in question. What the hell are these? They are all 14"x6". Lightweight. Maybe ROH? No real identifying marks that I can see, front or back.

Jzz31 project in the background, thats a FZR-250 under the cover... Good around town.

ecko
16th May 2011, 09:02 PM
you should probly specifiy that they are planned mods

jakel
17th May 2011, 01:24 AM
actually says 52xxxkms T18s only have 5 digit odometers, so it could be 552000 or could be 152xxx.

chvzding
17th May 2011, 10:06 AM
Ecko: Oops. Oversight. My mistake. Fixed.

jakel: Well, I'm observant then. Hrmmm, better go through the receipts that are in the glove box. Pretty sure the receipt for rebuild said 390,000 kilometres or something similar. Maybe I can get a better idea. I would err towards a higher number though, pretty tatty inside. Steering wheel underneath the cover is uncracked and the pedal rubber is ok, so really who knows?

On the other side of things does anyone know what wheels these are? I am really stumped.

jakel
17th May 2011, 11:09 AM
Maybe 452xxx?

chvzding
19th May 2011, 09:53 PM
Finally pulled off the seat covers, steering wheel trim and dash mat. On the plus side, the seats are pretty good with minor stains, steering wheel is mint. Downside there's a few cracks in the dash but I guess that is expected. Body wise there are several rust patches that will need to be fixed up, mechanically it pulls strongly to the left but I think with the changes I am going to make that should be solved. Another plus: engine is very strong and smooth.

To do list for this weekend:

- Replace radiator! I need something in good condition... Possibly something alloy? Better check the budget tomorrow.
- Take off drivers guard and straighten it out. Same goes for stone tray.
- Remove rubbers and de-badge.
- Remove rear seats ready for registration as two seater.
- Cut, polish and wax.

Master__09
30th June 2011, 03:39 PM
Have a look at my series 2 t18 drifter.

http://hardtuned.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=490893