PDA

View Full Version : emissions testing in qld?

NIZLAH
19th February 2009, 06:08 PM
posting for a mate who got reamed by the 5 OHH No's.. He has to get his 20v with adapt ecu emissions tested/cleared and also a db test..

Where in Brisbane can this be done and what is the usual procedure/cost of this exercise...
Where can the db test be performed also? most exhaust shops should be able to do this right? (he needs to get work done to quiet it down anyways)

Cheers
Niz

LittleRedSpirit
19th February 2009, 06:31 PM
He will be emitting the most noise from the intake if hes got a 20 valve. The funny thing is, they do static tests at 5k rpm. My motor sort of has a quiet spot at 5k, but its loud as 4500-4800, so hopefully he is the same. Does he run a cat, charcoal canister and purge solenoid? You can control purge with the ecu quite easily.

If he does the above the only thing I can see him getting pinged for is the static noise.

NIZLAH
19th February 2009, 06:54 PM
yeah he has to go get a cat fitted... pretty sure he has the charcoal canister hooked up don't know about the purge solenoid (elaborate?) I don't even know wtf that is lol (and he defiantly wouldn't)
Runs open quads also but I think he only has to get the exhaust at a legal level...

LittleRedSpirit
19th February 2009, 07:04 PM
Cat will help shut it up a bit.

I just have a cat, resonator and a single muffler, seems quiet from the arse, but the heat shield above the muffler rattles and goes zzzzzziiiiiinnnnnnnggggggg.

The purge solenoid controls whether or not the charcoal canister can vent to the intake.. On mine it runs like a 3 legged dog hooked up to the canister with no solenoid.

I have a switch for mine, if I smell fuel, I flick it and it goes away.

Under load it runs fine with no solenoid, but when you pull up at the lights its basically a big vacuum leak, so it runs like puss.

NIZLAH
19th February 2009, 07:21 PM
ahh I see..

MJ86
20th February 2009, 03:33 PM
If they find out he has the adaptronic in it he will be up shits creek, totally illegal to have an aftermarket computer in your car, and i mean totally, because they don`t want you messing with the fuel and ignition maps, i think the fines are rather large too, and it is the same in every state so you wanna be real careful.

NIZLAH
20th February 2009, 05:38 PM
yeh I know that having an aftermarket ecu is a no no..... but he only needs it emissions tested... (they wont be inspecting the car inside out will they? {when testing emissions}) that would be more so if it was going over the pits.. unsure but he may have to do this anyway...
I think he is going to get a real conservative tune done before getting it tested, but I'm a little iffy on whether or not he is going pass even with a shit tune..

---> So where in Brisbane can this test be done..? any idea on how much it costs approx?

wide s13
21st February 2009, 12:07 AM
after market ecu is illegal? well there you go haha

MJ86
21st February 2009, 04:30 AM
So where in Brisbane can this test be done..? any idea on how much it costs approx?

I would say the transport department probably does this testing themselves, probably to cut down on the chance of someone doing a dodgy report, not 100% sure on that, imagine if you had to take every car to qtrans for a roady :omg:.
I hope he has a cat and oxy sensor hooked up because the oxy sensor tells the computer whether it needs to adjust the fuel mixture, if it is not there they will know there is something suss and then they will rape your mates wallet and his licence. I think the penalty for messing with emissions is pretty heavy, possibly $1000s plus the car will more than likely be defected permanently, probably come under anti-hooning laws. Good luck to your mate he`s probably gonna need lots of it.

dustyae86
21st February 2009, 08:27 AM
aftermarket ECU's aren't legal... UNLESS, they can be "locked by the tuner" then you have to prove this to the EPA, basically so joe blow can't go home and play wiht his tune making it all fun again even though thats what everyone does, get the car passed out with the exhaust out with anything else that isn't fun