PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone :)

High_Octane_Love
20th May 2011, 11:38 AM
Hello all!

Just a post to say hello to all you Nissan loving colleagues of mine!

I drive a stock S13 Q's manual (CA18DE) and I will be installing a RB20DE I got from a mate when I get the time and/or cash :) (My brother will be the actual installer, lol)

I don't have pics but my avatar is almost exactly the same colour and I have some old 17's rather than stock rims...

I look forward to having lots of fun here @ AE86DC and hopefully I wont get too much flak over my engine swap choice! :P

Nicko
20th May 2011, 01:56 PM
Welcome!

Please keep us up to date with your build

Vance
20th May 2011, 02:36 PM
RB>SR

i think its a good engine choice for NA on a budget

High_Octane_Love
20th May 2011, 09:03 PM
Welcome!

Please keep us up to date with your build

I'll try :)

Does this site require photobucket to put up pictures? (Cuz if it does then no pictures for you!!!) :))

Nicko
22nd May 2011, 12:50 PM
Nope, you can upload pictures directly onto the forums or use our free image host and embed them (www.pixorhost.net)

:)

Pidgey
23rd May 2011, 04:16 PM
Was talking to a friend on the subject of RB's in S chassis nissans.
Apparently he found the weight balance to be waayy better when he drove an S13 after it had been RB20'd.
So yeah, 6's all the way :) should be fun.
What are your plans for suspension and styling?

Jacobxxx
23rd May 2011, 05:52 PM
Apparently he found the weight balance to be waayy better when he drove an S13 after it had been RB20'd.

ah always wondered why all the nissan guys put big 6 cylinders in over the 4clyinder. I thought it'd make them front heavy, what kind of percentage do they come from factory? iisnt an rb20 is a good hundred kilos on an sr20?

High_Octane_Love
30th May 2011, 09:09 AM

I have chosen the NA RB20DE because I got the whole motor inc. wiring harness and computer for $200 and it will be VERY easy to get a blue plate for as the S13 had both NA and turbo 2L engines from factory. BUT. I love the sound of the RB's revving so for me changing the engine was a no-brainer to get those awesome tunes!

I too had heard that the RB install makes the S13 a nicer car to drive. I'm really glad to have that sentiment confirmed as I was really worried about weight balance. But the S13 and the A31 Cefiro are closely related and the Cefiro drives well with its RB so the S13 should be OK :)

The style will be a combo of sleeper, factory-esque tuner and bitsa! I want a little bootlid spoiler (the lip type), maybe a rear roof spoiler, Wantanabe style rims (Initial D I thank you!) but otherwise stock... If I get the opportunity and the cash one day I want to go RB26DETT, widebody kit, Le Mans T wing and a stripped race interior :D

I want to, regardless of engine, get coilovers all 'round and make it stiff but road-ready so I can trackday it and be effective but still enjoy the car on the street!

I can't wait!

marvis
30th May 2011, 09:47 AM
I'd leave it ca, not worth putting an RB20E in it..

Jacobxxx
30th May 2011, 10:13 AM
rb30e

High_Octane_Love
3rd June 2011, 02:33 PM
I'd leave it ca, not worth putting an RB20E in it..

Would you do the conversion if it was RB20DE??? :P

I may not have enough cash to do this successfully so :( but I love the tunes a RB makes and since I got the package on the cheap, why not :)

Seriously though, if anyone else has done this mod and thinks it was a total waste of time/money then speak up now... I'm not THAT wedded to the idea that it has to go ahead.

Second serious question. Does the CA18DE gearbox spline and bellhousing match the RB20DE or do I need a new gearbox?

Rice86
3rd June 2011, 03:17 PM
ohh nice.. hope its a clean base car to start with
ive got a ca18de too in mine, don't plan to touch it until i can drive turbo and just dump a SR20det in basically its clean, cheap straight up conversion hopefully lol
One thing to take note on, SR has a better aftermarket support then say a RB20, not saying you will never find parts but SR aftermarket parts are all over Australia and the world i should say
well thats why im just planing on dropping a SR20det later...or Beams if i sell half my body

anyways, needs more pic! =]

Danzo
3rd June 2011, 08:24 PM

I found it to be the exact opposite, my RB20DET s13 handled like a bucket of poo. SR20de would be a much better option imho, but RB20's are dirrrrrttt cheap (for a reason)

Edit: I have done this conversion in my backyard, if you need any help drop us a PM, its pretty easy - Heres what you will need-
RB20DE, loom, ECU, starter loom
RB20 Gearbox
SR20 manual tailshaft fits to RB20 Box
I used an R32 4 door manual gearbox crossmember
A31 cefiro / C33 Laurel crossmember (if you can find) or R32 crossmember
R32 engine mounts
unsure on exhaust as mine was turbo, but you may be lucky and the rb20 exhaust manifold will fit the S13 exhaust
You will need a different sway bar because a standard one will sit mm from the sump

High_Octane_Love
4th June 2011, 12:09 PM
I found it to be the exact opposite, my RB20DET s13 handled like a bucket of poo. SR20de would be a much better option imho, but RB20's are dirrrrrttt cheap (for a reason)

Edit: I have done this conversion in my backyard, if you need any help drop us a PM, its pretty easy - Heres what you will need-
RB20DE, loom, ECU, starter loom
RB20 Gearbox
SR20 manual tailshaft fits to RB20 Box
I used an R32 4 door manual gearbox crossmember
A31 cefiro / C33 Laurel crossmember (if you can find) or R32 crossmember
R32 engine mounts
unsure on exhaust as mine was turbo, but you may be lucky and the rb20 exhaust manifold will fit the S13 exhaust
You will need a different sway bar because a standard one will sit mm from the sump

Well, if I need an RB20 box and tailshaft etc. then I'll be just keeping the CA18DE then! I won't have enough free cash to purchase those parts anytime soon and from the sounds of things I may end up ruining my cars handling :(

I think I'll just invest in suspension mods and exhaust upgrades plus (one day) tomei cams because I don't mind the CA18, I just wanted to take advantage of an opportunity! :)

Thanx all for the info and I'll get some pics soon!