PDA

View Full Version : Wheel weights on BRAND NEW rims? Not normal?

maxhag
21st May 2011, 01:46 AM
I have just been sold a set of what are supposed to be 'Brand new' rims, Superlites. First set of 'new' rims I've ever bought. Got tyres fitted up yesterday and was shocked at the amount of weights that were needed to balance the rims.... See the pics..... I dont even have nearly this many on the old few set of wheels I have...

Is this not right for supposed 'New wheels'?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/70109.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/70110.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/70111.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/1/1/70112.jpg

Cheers

AE092
21st May 2011, 02:20 AM
Yeh that's pretty normal. My new Enkei RPF1's had wheel weights fitted to them and so did the 949 Racing 6UL wheels just not as many as yours

toyotacrazy
21st May 2011, 02:22 AM
Actually it's the tyres that are the problem not the rims.

Cast alloy circles = pretty perfect

Moulded rubber round things = Lots of variation !

maxhag
21st May 2011, 02:52 AM
I have had these tyres fitted to other wheels before, never been a problem before....

Actually it's the tyres that are the problem not the rims.

Moulded rubber round things = Lots of variation !

toyotacrazy
21st May 2011, 03:02 AM
Would be damn interesting to strip the tyres & weights and to balance just the mags - Scratching my head on this one !

kepanno
21st May 2011, 06:40 AM
ask your tyre fitter to rotate the tyre on the rim , they may balance up better if rotated

benzo
21st May 2011, 11:37 AM
Yeah that 1st one shouldn't need THAT many, but I have seen worse..on a brand new CE28N...on the outside lip :gah:

As kepanno said, try rotating tyre.

AJPS
21st May 2011, 11:59 AM
definitely rotate the tyre

claw
21st May 2011, 12:31 PM
its a cast hoop, cast has so many variables in weight, that seems a little bit extreme, but if they are second hand tyres, i wouldnt stress too much, strip and balance bare rims or rotate tyres would be the go

maxhag
21st May 2011, 08:40 PM
Brand new tyres....

toyotacrazy
21st May 2011, 08:56 PM
Brand new tyres....

I have had these tyres fitted to other wheels before, never been a problem before....

Confusion's set in here...

Are the fitted tyres "new" or have been previously fitted?

If new, that doesn't qualify them for being exempt from a bad batch - 2c worth

Not trying to be a smart arse :omg:

ke_70
22nd May 2011, 12:10 AM
ive had a tyre run 10+mm out of round. my bet is just a defect tyre or at the larger end of the tolerence.

has it balenced up ok? or is it still out of balence with all those weights on it?

maxhag
22nd May 2011, 01:04 AM
I meant that I have bought this type of tyre before and never a issue with balancing them

The actual tyres in question, would never have been fitted before. They were ordered in, then fitted to the rims.

Confusion's set in here...

Are the fitted tyres "new" or have been previously fitted?

If new, that doesn't qualify them for being exempt from a bad batch - 2c worth

Not trying to be a smart arse :omg:

maxhag
22nd May 2011, 01:09 AM
I cant say 100%, have noticed a slight vibration in the car, but at this stage, cant be certain the cause. I will have to check it out further. The tyre joint I use looks after me, and would have told me if it was unbalanced....

ive had a tyre run 10+mm out of round. my bet is just a defect tyre or at the larger end of the tolerence.

has it balenced up ok? or is it still out of balence with all those weights on it?

Nicko
22nd May 2011, 12:36 PM
I've seen a "tyre fitter" go at it for half an hour on a rim before.

I reckon his machine was out of whack cause it seemed to be a huge amount of weights.

I took it somewhere else to someone who knew what they were doing and it took 3 minutes tops and used 1/5th the weight.

Just saying...

biggo
22nd May 2011, 12:44 PM
you cant balance a rim by putting weights in the middle

ell you can but you can clearly see the results

toyotacrazy
22nd May 2011, 01:09 PM
My Son & I were just discussing the very same thing !

Should be as close to the outside as possible - odd

Also, being there are no mfg stamps on the inner face, our "theory" is

that these are fake Superlites...

Not so much a bad thing as long as they are of some quality.

As suggested, take them somewhere else for balancing, chances are will work out just fine

AJPS
22nd May 2011, 05:27 PM
they arent fake superlights

maxhag
22nd May 2011, 05:29 PM
They are not fakes... The stamps are on the outerface.....

LittleRedSpirit
22nd May 2011, 08:13 PM
Thats fine and normal, if you want a shot at sorting it with less weights, rotate the tyre a bit and see, but it really will make no effective difference if it balances its fine. Tyres can vary wildly in balance, even new ones, especially cheaper ones but it really is a bit random. Just go with it. Ive had about that many before on a rim with a new tyre and Im still driving on those tyres today 15000ks later and its all good.

lolwat
22nd May 2011, 08:27 PM
line the marking on the tyres up with your valve (heavy spot and light spot should be marked on the tyre)

Rice86
25th May 2011, 11:21 AM
i thought the same when i had my re001 brand new put onto my brand new wantanbes, "why did they have to use them weight, thought all this shit was brand new, should be perfect balance already"..anyways, didn't think much of it as if it was there, it was needed for safety..but in your case that is a fair bit they had to use..try a different place for balancing otherwise just use it and enjoy haha

T.R.D
25th May 2011, 11:44 AM
That is normal. If to much weight is required usually get the tyre rotated on the rim. Also the furthur in the wheel the weights go the more they need. They put them there though so you don't see the ugly weights on the lip of the rim and knock on weights may not work on that lip (hard to tell by the photos) but only mark the rims anyway.

Frak
25th May 2011, 11:48 AM

Unfortunately this is NOT true, put a rim just on a balancer and you may be suprised. (especially some of the cheap stuff)

I had to laugh at the rim with a bit of weights opposite, try somewhere else to balance your rims/tyres.

Nicko
25th May 2011, 11:48 AM
I always get sus when I see weights directly OPPOSITE each other... because that shit should cancel itself out of balanced properly...

takai
25th May 2011, 01:12 PM
Plus those weights are pretty light. The stick on ones are normally 4 or 7 grams.

The clamp/clip on ones are generally 14 or 21g, and you can balance it up a lot better with fewer weights.

lolwat
25th May 2011, 08:10 PM
wheel weights come in pretty much what ever size you want (in 5 gram incriments), bash on and stick ons
there 80 grams on that first rim, for the outer side, to be honest i wouldnt be too happy with that get the tryes rotated, (keep in mind that you need to use more when you put them on the inside like that as there not right on the edge)

Javal
25th May 2011, 08:11 PM
That is normal. If to much weight is required usually get the tyre rotated on the rim. Also the furthur in the wheel the weights go the more they need. They put them there though so you don't see the ugly weights on the lip of the rim and knock on weights may not work on that lip (hard to tell by the photos) but only mark the rims anyway.

Plus those weights are pretty light. The stick on ones are normally 4 or 7 grams.

The clamp/clip on ones are generally 14 or 21g, and you can balance it up a lot better with fewer weights.

DING DING DING DING DING.

These are the correct responses to your question, although imperfections in tyre and rim manufacture are also contributing factors as previously established.

Panda BVB700
25th May 2011, 10:20 PM
most likely stated earlier but wheel weights are put in place to correct the tyres inperfections not the rims

toyotacrazy
25th May 2011, 10:24 PM
ummm hmmm... ;)

Panda BVB700
25th May 2011, 10:34 PM
I always get sus when I see weights directly OPPOSITE each other... because that shit should cancel itself out of balanced properly...

this is true used to get alot of wheels that come into work that had new tyres put on and the fitters are either of 3 things stupid/lazy/incorrectly trained for the job or in some cases the balancing machine can be out of calibration

toyotacrazy
25th May 2011, 10:45 PM
I've got a set of old/new Dunlops on the race car that you can "SEE" the wobble on the balancing machine.

Yes they are "balanced" but give a distinctive ummm errr ride - lol

End of day, if the spanky new mags n tyres drive well - Who cares? = ENJOY !

Pidgey
26th May 2011, 12:42 AM
Pretty funny, when the people put my tyres on my rims they totally refused to put weights on as I told them I was eventually going to use the car for track work and they said that the weights would fall off on track and it'd be dangerous.
I'm like, wtf crackhead. I'd rather run that risk than not have a balanced rotating mass to start with.
My rims have bends and rash and are probably really old (SSR formula mesh and SSR MKI) but surprisingly I get no vibration until about 110. I can sit on 115 happily and have done 190 without drama.
I still really need to get them balanced by someone that doesn't smoke crack, it doesn't seem safe at all to me.

Rice86
26th May 2011, 04:06 PM
I get no vibration until about 110. I can sit on 115 happily and have done 190 without drama.

Funny thing, my stock s13 rims with whatever tyres they have on did the same thing!, 100 would vibrate, but 90 below or 120 above is perfect...was even more exciting to drive when i had 35mm bolt on spacers for giggles =]

ke_70
26th May 2011, 11:56 PM
if they're balenced who cares how many weights are on the wheel?

toyotacrazy
27th May 2011, 01:13 AM
if they're balanced who cares how many weights are on the wheel?

Obviously the owner does - That's what this whole thread is about :sunnies:

maxhag
27th May 2011, 02:58 AM
Obviously the owner does - That's what this whole thread is about :sunnies:

Yeah, just thought I would ask the question.....
Brand new rims, brand new tyres has more weights than an old set of wheels with used tyres.,..... In theory, it didn't seem right......

lolwat
27th May 2011, 08:34 AM
if i was balancing those i wouldnt be happy with that amount on a new rim, as said above either rotate tyre or dont worry about it

benno93
29th May 2011, 09:02 PM
rotate the tyre. the little red or yellow dot on the tyre should be above the valve, if thats elsewhere then 9 times out of 10 you wont be able to balance it to 0

AJPS
7th June 2011, 08:01 PM
for what it is worth

Jarrod ke70 came down tonight and fitted and balanced some second hand good years onto identical rims

this is what it required to balance

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/7/71547.jpg (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/7/71547.jpg)

toyotacrazy
7th June 2011, 08:08 PM
It's the tyres that's the prob as said all along... 2c ;)

70ast
9th June 2011, 03:59 PM
STFU n00b