PDA

View Full Version : suspension for ae86 for motorkana/ kanacross

ae86ln
16th June 2011, 11:43 PM
my ae86 suspension is set up for bitumen track days (lowered, coilovers) but im looking at what i need to do to set it up better for motorkana's and kanacross, im just thinking about changing the suspension. most of the events around are mainly dirt. so i was thinking will the standard suspension would give me enough movement without bottoming out to much and clearance because its still a want to drive it around without damaging the underside of the car.

thanks lew

lappy
19th June 2011, 10:38 PM
Ive got a KE70 and race autocross (same deal) I have just cut the standard springs 1 1/2 coils, removed the rear sway bar, extended lower control arms+steering arm, handles extreamly well

AJPS
20th June 2011, 03:50 PM
decent dampers and tyres

I run standard rear springs in mine, no swaybars at all

superbmobile
21st June 2011, 08:58 PM
Lawsons setup is good seems like its got endless grip

ae86ln
21st June 2011, 09:33 PM
so pretty much standard springs and shocks sounds like a nice cheat setup cool thanks

dav what type of tyres do you run normall highway tyres or dirt ones

AJPS
22nd June 2011, 04:30 PM
silverstone 505 (medium)

but changing to federals G11 (softs) in a couple of weeks (no real reason, just want to try something else)

yeah theyre gravel tyres

macca1590
26th June 2011, 08:48 PM
im also wondering/ curious about suspension set up for rally/offroad stuff
i was thinking decent shocks, standard springs? but why remove sway bars?? more articulation to keep wheels in contact with ground?

ae86ln
27th June 2011, 12:24 AM
i sus'd out the track near my house today and it looks really smooth so ill try standard rear springs and shocks (hope ive still got them) and raise the front coilovers

lappy
4th July 2011, 10:32 PM
im also wondering/ curious about suspension set up for rally/offroad stuff
i was thinking decent shocks, standard springs? but why remove sway bars?? more articulation to keep wheels in contact with ground?

yehh that seems to be the theory, it works well for me, i only have a front swaybar on, david what would be the advantages of taking off the front one?

AJPS
5th July 2011, 01:14 AM
my springs were a bit hard, it pushed a bit more with the rear one removed,

seemed to work

and yes, more Independence, more articulation

but mostly personal preference

macca1590
9th May 2013, 09:14 AM
i have been doing a couple of dirt motorkana's and kanacross's and im even looking into going into rally sprints, i have been transferring my old standard suspension on for the events but the rear springs have sagged heaps and the rear shocks are leaking, so im up for a whole rear end set up, what do people like?, i wouldn't mind going a touch harder spring rate than stock, i suspect that my original springs were already heavy duty. kings are cheep enough on ebay (anyone know how much heaver they are), or should i be supper tight ass and get the springs out of a camry or something at the wreckers and cut them, falcons might be a bit too heavy. also shocks? moneoe and ultimas are also cheep on ebay, or should i go a set of kyb excel g's or something??

a pair of

anastasios
9th May 2013, 04:21 PM
well scotts motorsports runs TRD rally shocks, but they are discontinued.

I am also keen on answers to this. My plan is just to run standard length shocks front and rear with oem springs for the time being

until i can afford bilsteins

seems to be the logical option for dirt work

Slimer86
9th May 2013, 07:29 PM
My road car runs std springs with new bilsteins.
At the price of bilsteins I didn't see reasons to use old shocks.
Amazing handling characteristics on dirt and bitumen

AJPS
23rd May 2013, 02:54 PM
i have bilstein rally stuff in one of my ae71s and it is excellent, especially when the rally tyres were new

good fun, just need more grunt

LiveToRide
17th June 2013, 09:03 PM
I've just picked up a new car and its got Trd type adj damp shocks and springs but I'm looking at options for the said topic! I was thinking stock springs but I'm not sure, I don't have much clearance under the exhaust and the track I'm looking at isn't the smoothest that's for sure! I don't know much about the trd type suspension and I haven't had much of a chance to get a better look! What's your thoughts? Keep the shocks that are there and change the springs or completely change what's there if the shocks are too short? Thanks for all your help in advance!