PDA

View Full Version : air compressors

NIZLAH
24th February 2009, 09:29 PM
Im looking at getting a half decent compressor in the near future.... I want it to be a quality and reliable unit that can handle most tasks including spray painting and what not...

Roughly looking at spending around $5-600 on a decent piece of gear.

A few in the trade tools range have caught my attention, I just need experienced people to make recommendations and clarify some differences.

Like what tyoe of CFM do I need to do auto spraying?
Whats the difference/better/worse between belt driven and a direct drive unit.

anything else that comes to mind that would be helpful in deciding what to get would be awesome

Cheers
Niz.

NIZLAH
25th February 2009, 09:29 PM
This is the one Ive been looking at....
Can anyone comment on it at all?

http://www.tradetools.com.au/Catalogue/ProductView.aspx?ProductCode=HD240

NIZLAH
26th February 2009, 06:01 PM
Awesome cheers for the response Nick..
As I said I don't really know sweet F.A about compressors.
One thing is that I'm not going to be using it hardcore ie: all day etc, so its not a great concern as I don't think I will wear it out overly soon.

The HD300 is kind of just out of the price I really want to spend, I want to keep it under $600 ish if possible.
The HD200 is the other unit I was looking at, just went with the direct drive one that is linked above because it was a lil cheaper, had a bigger tank and flowed more air p/m.
Now that I aware of the actual pro's/con's of each type its easier to make a decision, on that note I will prob go down the belt driven path, but still not sure yet as I haven't looked at anything else from other manufacturers.

matt99
26th February 2009, 06:02 PM
A HD240 is a direct drive compressor. These are not as efficient as a belt driven compressor. They run much much hotter, they are louder, and they wear out faster.

Don't buy a compressor based on price alone. The HD240 is a good unit but not meant to be run all day.

You should be looking at the RP16E instead. Yes, it is a 15A compressor, but when pumps and motors get to a certain size, they DO require more current to run. You cannot and should not run a 15A compressor off an extension lead, or file down the plug to fit a 10A socket. These machines draw ~12+Amps on load and even more on startup. Get a 15A socket installed by a professional electrician.

.That said...

I own the HD200 (cheaper pump & motor version of the RP13E) and it has done a full car respray. Ideally you need 15+ CFM to "comfortably" do a respray job, as anything less requires some time for the compressor to "catch up" all the time. The RP13E / HD200 would be considered the "entry level" backyard painters compressor. Its also the largest 10A belt driven machine that TT do. Anything above that goes to 15Amp.

Belt driven machines are much more efficient, quieter and will last you a few more years. IMHO, the HD240 you're looking at is more meant for "onsite" usage by people with nailguns... Its a 10A machine which means that it can be used on sites that only have 10A RCD power. Its really made for the chippie with a ute who puts up fences or does lots of decking or framing.

Please let me know which path you take. I won't go hard on you, but having sold compressors for a couple of years, the guys who bought the wrong ones brought them back melted, and the guys who bought the right ones for the right job - I never saw their machines in the repairs section :)

If money is an issue, there is the HD300 (twin cylinder version) http://www.tradetools.com.au/Catalogue/ProductView.aspx?ProductCode=HD300
Otherwise, seriously have a look at the RP16EM http://www.tradetools.com.au/Catalogue/ProductView.aspx?ProductCode=RP16EM

A few more bucks, but the RP16EM is a triple cylinder and we all know that there is no replacement for displacement ;)

The man seems to know his compressors.

squish_m8
26th February 2009, 06:22 PM
if your looking for a cheaper option the 2.5/2.75hp supercheap ones arent bad as they can do most most of the jobs including painting. but not for everyday use

NIZLAH
26th February 2009, 09:36 PM
cool.. thanks mate.. Yeah I agree one hundred and 33.75% on the supershit compressors....
I'm in the market for quality, I fucking hate buying junk...

NIZLAH
27th February 2009, 03:53 PM
Bought one today, ended up going the HD240.... only because of the amount of air it can generate and was more suitable to what I want to do with it, and it was the biggest one I could run off a 10amp power supply.
I almost actually bought the HD300 but I didn't feel like getting a 15amp socket installed etc. the HD200 was a toss up also, but I wanted the bigger flow unit and I don't plan on doing any heavy duty work with it so I'm sure the direct drive HD240 will be reliable. Its not as noisy as I expected either.

squish_m8
27th February 2009, 04:39 PM
its "you're"...

And... Supercheap they are NOT 2.5 HP :) More like 1.5hp at a push. They are cheap fucking mass produced garbage from China. I'd rather ram a syringe down the eye of my cock than spend hard earned money on one of those piles of fecal matter.

Fuck the cheaper option, buy the right tool for the right job, $100 might seem like a lot now, but ten years down the track when you've used your compressor every weekend you'll look back and realise that extra quality cost you about 2 cents a week... to own the better machine.

yeah, sorry about the poor grammar.

All i was saying was they are good for a few odd jobs if you are not going to use it heaps. If you want a machine for the long term, then yes get a proper one. But if i want to use a good machine i just go down to work (or a friends work) and use the industrial one which will do everything all day every day for free
:)

PHA786
2nd March 2009, 02:04 PM
And... Supercheap they are NOT 2.5 HP :) More like 1.5hp at a push. They are cheap fucking mass produced garbage from China. I'd rather ram a syringe down the eye of my cock than spend hard earned money on one of those piles of fecal matter.

Fuck the cheaper option, buy the right tool for the right job, $100 might seem like a lot now, but ten years down the track when you've used your compressor every weekend you'll look back and realise that extra quality cost you about 2 cents a week... to own the better machine.

I'm also looking at a compressor and WAS looking at the super cheap option, but now that all has been explained about what to look for i'm definatly not getting a Super Shit one.
I think i'll save a bit more and get the right tool for the job.

Thanks guys.

Mr Awsome
6th March 2009, 05:35 PM
If you don't paint the bonnet and the roof at the same time. or paint the doors and guards off.
You should have enough air to do your painting with a 1.5 - 2HP and a 50lt tank if you follow the 1.5 coat system.
Make sure you buy a air regulator with a filter. Because you will get rust/water and shit from in side the cylinder tank hiding in your primer/paint just waiting to cause some damage.

PHA786
8th March 2009, 11:38 PM
If you don't paint the bonnet and the roof at the same time. or paint the doors and guards off.
You should have enough air to do your painting with a 1.5 - 2HP and a 50lt tank if you follow the 1.5 coat system.
Make sure you buy a air regulator with a filter. Because you will get rust/water and shit from in side the cylinder tank hiding in your primer/paint just waiting to cause some damage.

Man another handy tip.

One tip i learnt about painting the hard way was don't paint in the middle of the day in summer. BIG Fuckup that one.

Mr Awsome
9th March 2009, 12:31 AM
Man another handy tip.

One tip i learnt about painting the hard way was don't paint in the middle of the day in summer. BIG Fuckup that one.

you got to choose your reducers (thinners) and hardeners carefully.
most companys will have: fast, medium, slow in both.
its how you mix and match them will determine the out come.
at work when its 40+ degrees out side the booths don't cool down after baking. so there sitting at the high 55o-60o wile we are spraying. for this instance id use medium hardener and slow reducer. but it depends on what panels i'm doing will depend on my spraying technique.

sorry for the off topic

PuGZoR
15th April 2009, 10:02 AM
Sorry to dig up an old topic, but my dad's compressor just died. His must have been at least 20 years old, was an Able Staples. Looked to have a ~40-50L tank with a 1.5KW motor on it.

Obviously the first place I went looking for a compressor was Trade Tools due to them being very close to both where I live and where I work. Currently looking at 4 different models; HP240-40, HD240, HD240-UP and the HD200. Limited to these on price really, and the fact we don't want to go overkill.

The first two have a 2.5HP direct drive motor with 240L/min F.A.D. Really the $50 difference is an added 36L to the size of the tank, taking it from 40L to 76L. Well worth it if you're doing long duty cycle work such as spray painting, sanding, nibbling, sheering, etc.

The HD240-UP apparently has a 3HP direct drive motor (maybe a misprint?) so might be a 15A doobie, but is probably only a 10A and really 2.5HP. Still has 240L/min F.A.D. Big win with this one is that it's a large 60L tank but is also an upright style, meaning much smaller footprint in the garage/workshop.

Finally there's the HD200 which has a lower F.A.D. rating of 199L/min, and a tank size of 63L. Slightly less power with a 2.25HP motor, but is of course belt driven which according to Nick, is win. Heaviest out of the lot at 78KG.

Prices are $548, $598, $658, $668 respectively. $120 separating cheapest and most expensive options, but all have their own little perk/s.

IMHO, HD240 still looks the goods as per Nizlah found out. End of the day, all options do look attractive though.