PDA

View Full Version : Steering column/rack question...

corey70
4th March 2009, 05:59 PM
ok iv put s13 crossmember and steering rock ect in my ke70 and just realise the clamp where the column goes into the rack is twice the size of the ke70 column... any1 got any ideas of what i can do to get around this?

would a s13 column fir into the ke70 without to much drama or do i get the ke column cut and a silvia end welded on or something??

any help would be great.
heres a lil pic to help if you dont quite understand what i mean..

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9/7/7940.jpg

cheers,
Corey

Jonny Rochester
4th March 2009, 06:14 PM
First of all, get the KE70 column, and slide it onto the top half of the KE70 uni joint. Then, you will find the bottom half of the uni joint is still connected to it and fits well. Then get the bottom half of the uni joint and slide in onto the pinion splines of the KE70 pinion. Screw the pinion into the KE70 rack housing. Then the rack may fit onto the KE70 crossmember. With 4 long bolts the KE70 crossmember bolts to the frame.

Simon-KE70
4th March 2009, 08:06 PM
I used an item that i found at a nissan importer wreaker, came off a rack which had R34 written on it but im not certain that it was. either way the rack side was the right size to fit on the s13 rack i have and the other side was smaller and fitted spot on on the toyota column.

I read your post several times Johnny and i couldn't make sense of it lol

Jonny Rochester
4th March 2009, 10:39 PM
If this helps, you may find that no where in my description, do I talk of a S13 crossmember.

Simon-KE70
4th March 2009, 10:42 PM
yeah thats the part which doesnt make sense, as the OP is asking about s13 X member not KE70, im not having a dig, just wondering why you raised the KE70 member topic up.

Jonny Rochester
4th March 2009, 10:58 PM
It was my funny way of saying, "put the KE70 rack and crossmember back in, and change the engine mounts". Just my opinion. Sorry to waste everyones time.

Simon-KE70
4th March 2009, 11:28 PM
lol fair enough, you didnt waste anyones time mate i just waste sure where you were going with it thats all.

corey70
5th March 2009, 12:27 PM
I used an item that i found at a nissan importer wreaker, came off a rack which had R34 written on it but im not certain that it was. either way the rack side was the right size to fit on the s13 rack i have and the other side was smaller and fitted spot on on the toyota column.

I read your post several times Johnny and i couldn't make sense of it lol

cheers man helps heaps.. ill try find something similar..

ah considered puttin ke crossmember ect in but kinda passed point of no return now and iv never used a welder in my life and not exactly keen on payin someone a fortune to weld me up some custom mounts...

shift_rook
5th March 2009, 12:30 PM
i've got custom mounts all done and good for $170 posted, suit a 4a crossmember but still, good welds and also includes mount for gearbox so all you needa do is bolt shit together, just an idea

Simon-KE70
5th March 2009, 05:04 PM
the S13 crossmember on the other hand does work and works well when running s13 susp with it also. that way susp geometrys are all spot on, no bump steer, no un usual arm angles etc. My car drives like a silvia... but better lol

corey70
5th March 2009, 05:07 PM
yeupp exactly what im hoping mine will drive like :D

Simon-KE70
5th March 2009, 05:12 PM
yup it will, only thing to be aware of is that stock length s13 LCA's + s13 crossmember = huge track. if u want to run decent rims it can be hard to fit even with flared guards.

I acctually cut and shut my LCA's down to stock KE70 arms + 5mm longer and then modded the tie rod to suit.

works very well, with no negitive effects.

shift_rook
5th March 2009, 05:13 PM
but then it's got quite a weak point wouldn't it?? with it being cut and shut?? surely there's other ways then that...

Simon-KE70
5th March 2009, 05:16 PM
cut and shut sounds crude, but mine are boxed up and done very well if i might say, im a qualified welder.

that said ive seen some shockers in my time lol.

and yes the correct way would be to track down some shorter arms, with an S13 type ball joint, and i believe a bluebird LCA would be the way to go. however i chose the modify the arms i had route cause A) it was free as i DIY and b) i didnt have the time to go through wreakers looking for suitable arms

corey70
5th March 2009, 05:20 PM
yeah iv got it together the track increase is huge... sticks out the guards like half an inch and thats only 15x6.6 +10

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/9/7/7665.jpg

my mate had his standard control arms on his keto boxed / 'cut and shut' but made adjutable..

maybe you could do something similar to mine simon? id obviously hook you up some coin..

Simon-KE70
5th March 2009, 05:27 PM
ive done that before myself. boxed them up, used a plate with a hole drilled in the centre of it and then a large M22 nut welded on the back of the plate central of the hole. then use a threaded rose joint through this with a locking nut on the front. thread to adjust lengthn then lock with the nut.

im no longer a fan of doing it this way tho. the rose joints that are affordable dont last, and the ones that are expensive still dont have dust boots on them. and then theres the matter of the fact that the whole arm is only as strong as the threaded rod. which isnt much.

EDIT:

you CAN run stock length arms, just get some real shit offset 15's such as 15X7 + 35's or something and it will work.

corey70
5th March 2009, 05:30 PM
ah yeah.. hmm so you rekn bluey ones would be the way to go?

oh and seein as you've done the sr conversion, did you rig up a speedo or not worry bout it? and what fuel lines did you use?

cheers

Simon-KE70
5th March 2009, 05:34 PM
i THINK bluey ones are the way to go but i never got to double check the ball joint sizes to make sure that they were same as s13, they are def shorter tho.

didnt worry about speedo, but figured out how to do it if i wanted to. Need an RB20 speedo drive (from R32) and then AE71 speedo cable (its longer then KE70) and then mate the two together. easy as pie. the KE70 one would work if it was long enough to reach the drive on the box lol

worked
4th April 2009, 12:11 AM
your running a 32 box tho simon, which has a speedo cable
he is prob running sr box, which isn't
i used an apexi RSM on my ke with ca
transport seemed to not be fased by it too much, long as i ca'n see how fast i'm going!

Simon-KE70
4th April 2009, 03:31 PM
yeah im using an RB box, but the same principle applies for using an SR box, u can take the electronic sender out and put a RB cable driver in it, then hook up your cable. has to be an AE71 cable tho as the KE one is too short.

worked
5th April 2009, 09:58 PM
your actually a pretty handy bloke to know with all this info!