PDA

View Full Version : Suspension set ups...

decoyslikecurves
26th March 2005, 11:52 AM
Hey all, interested in peoples suspension setups for their ae86s.
Mine is currently pedders long shocks with king lows.

But Im have trd race springs coming from japan very soon... 6kg front and 4.7kg rear, and KYB non adj short stroke shocks.
also converting to sigma control arms front for more camber and track, and camber tops, probably cusco.

Does anyone have experiece with the kyb non adj short stroke shocks?
Also larger rear swaybars... What difference do they make?

Thanks http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif

garage_kook01
26th March 2005, 12:42 PM
i say stay away from the kyb shot strokers

slide86
26th March 2005, 01:13 PM
i have i think ae101 koni adjustable or something similar because they are a shorter for my custom built coilovers. using king springs, it is a very good setup and is hard as a rock. i will be getting sigma controll arms from abit more track.
and for my rear suspension im not sure yet, possibly trd springs then get them compressed to my desiered height

garage_kook01
26th March 2005, 01:28 PM
yeah im getting koni front struts wen i convert mine to coilovers.

i got cusco camber tops they made the car alot more responsive in the steering

slide86
26th March 2005, 01:59 PM
yeah i have camber tops to unsure what brand they are, they have been ground back, and drilled out to allow max camber http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

decoyslikecurves
26th March 2005, 03:37 PM
Whats wrong with the kyb shocks? I have been told they are a good shock for less than half the price of the konis...

garage_kook01
26th March 2005, 03:44 PM
theres nothing really wrong with them. its jsut i know a bloke that had them and they fell apart

mikes86
26th March 2005, 06:48 PM
there is nothing wrong with kyb shocks. ive got the a pair on my hachi and no problems very nice compare to the rest of the shit ass supension. also heard that kyb shocks make the trd ones.

mumblezzz
26th March 2005, 08:55 PM
The front of mine consists of modified sprinter struts converted to coilover with a 7kg spring rate and Tokico HTS SS adjustables. The rear is tokico as well with a custom (Read: Chopped) set of fairlane springs. My T diff is gay and has no swaybar mounts so no swaybar ATM.

mr2drift
27th March 2005, 12:30 PM
Front:
cusco mr2 coilovers chopped and welded to sprinter strutts
cusco mr2 shock insert
cusco springs 8.5kg
ra 40 celica steering tie rods
early sigma control arms
Jap spec power steering arms.
standard swaybar

Rear:
made to spec rear springs 7.5kg
some sort of aftermarket suzuki sierra front shocks
( absoloutly spot on short stroke and perfect rebound/bound )
standard swaybar

whole car has pedders nolethane throughout.

decoyslikecurves
27th March 2005, 02:39 PM
Okay heres another question:

Say if i thought my trd springs were too high for my liking, and wanted my car to sit a bit lower, I get them compressed right?

What does this do to the properties of the springs.... I mean... I want the car to handle and be well balanced, and also look fairly low and fat. So if I compressed the springs and wrecked all their properties it would probably destroy the balance of the car... Am I right?

Thanks
Gav

slide86
27th March 2005, 04:17 PM
just wondering all this talk of shorter shocks.....i am in the process of making coilovers for my 86, and i am taking 40mm out of the strut. meaning that i will have to get shorter shocks. where am i able to pick up a set of KYB short shocks or a similar item...im located in adelaide if that helps.
im also using bump steer spacers under the strut to achieve the same height....if you know what i mean

mikes86
27th March 2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by slide86@Mar 27 2005, 03:17 PM
just wondering all this talk of shorter shocks.....i am in the process of making coilovers for my 86, and i am taking 40mm out of the strut. meaning that i will have to get shorter shocks. where am i able to pick up a set of KYB short shocks or a similar item...im located in adelaide if that helps.
im also using bump steer spacers under the strut to achieve the same height....if you know what i mean
contact this guy hes at westbourne park in sa(dont know if thats close to adelaide or not but he does them at a good price. "David Lawson mobile: 0407716089 email: dlawsonajps@hotmail.com" i got my set of kyb short stroke of him

slide86
27th March 2005, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by decoyslikecurves@Mar 27 2005, 03:39 AM
Okay heres another question:

Say if i thought my trd springs were too high for my liking, and wanted my car to sit a bit lower, I get them compressed right?

What does this do to the properties of the springs.... I mean... I want the car to handle and be well balanced, and also look fairly low and fat. So if I compressed the springs and wrecked all their properties it would probably destroy the balance of the car... Am I right?

Thanks
Gav
u get the springs reset at the same time so they are still 6kg or whatever they are

option1
7th April 2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by D1_Spec@Mar 26 2005, 12:13 PM
i have i think ae101 koni adjustable or something similar because they are a shorter for my custom built coilovers. using king springs, it is a very good setup and is hard as a rock. i will be getting sigma controll arms from abit more track.
and for my rear suspension im not sure yet, possibly trd springs then get them compressed to my desiered height
D1 spec They are Koni red adjustable from an AE101 , 60mm cut out of the strut tubes and adjustable height sleeves fitted - I made em ........... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif

option1
7th April 2005, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by D1_Spec@Mar 26 2005, 12:13 PM
D1-spec Have now got 5k rear TRD copy springs here if you want to try em - they work well for a street/drift set up

Joel-AE86
7th April 2005, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by decoyslikecurves@Mar 30 2005, 04:52 AM
Does anyone have experiece with the kyb non adj short stroke shocks?
I used to have a pair of these. I dont think KYB makes AE86 specific short stroke non adjust shocks. The pair I had were some KYB Exel-Gs that were meant for a new monaro.

They're short stroke yes, but have shit bound/rebound. Not firm enought for any decent rate rear springs.

They cost like 150pr...so you cant expect too much.

slide86
8th April 2005, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by option1+Apr 7 2005, 04:31 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-D1_Spec@Mar 26 2005, 12:13 PM
D1-spec Have now got 5k rear TRD copy springs here if you want to try em - they work well for a street/drift set up [/b]
cool ill give you a call this weekend http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

rthy
12th April 2005, 01:26 AM
my sprinter

FRONT:

-shocks: ST-204 4-way externally adjustables by KYB: AGX
-strut: ta-28 shortened 60mm and conveted to coil-over
-springs: Kings 6kg, 65 I.D, 180mm free height

-custom 60mm RCAs on the way

-custom adjustable lower control arms also on the way, no rough and noisy strut top camber adjusters for me.

springs going to be changed again because living with 6kg is too much for the roads here. I am sick of touching the roof and feeling like I have been kicked in the back when I hit a ridge in the middle of a normal main road here.

REAR:

-shocks: Commodor IRS 8-way externally adjustables by KYB: AGX
-springs: chop chop, about to be changed once again to custom kings
-Modified t-18 diff housing to lower bottom control arm mounting pivots.
-Pan-hard Rod: Custom made adjustable

-Polyurathane bushes all round except the top upper rear trialing bar, that will have holes drilled though the bush soon enough.

upgarage
12th April 2005, 04:41 AM
TRD stuff works well

tokico hts top of the range works better

slide86
12th April 2005, 05:08 PM
today i just got from option 1 garage
TRD adjustable shockies and TRD springs for the rear of my car.

Turbokid
8th May 2005, 07:35 PM
Any one running hilux in the rear? How are they? Tossing up between them and VH. There is a noticable height difference though. Iv'e got xr6 springs to match but haven't chopped them yet.

drft86
8th May 2005, 09:54 PM
i've heard that the hilux rear end is to heavy and upsets the handling of the car

ae71neo
9th May 2005, 06:12 PM
No he means hilux shocks.

RobertoX
9th May 2005, 06:51 PM
any one have experience with the 3 and a half link rear end?

im going for full rose jointed rear link when $$ allows...

mikes86
9th May 2005, 09:20 PM
atm im runnin king springs low all round(which are ghey) rear kyb short strokers, unknown front, front and rear strut braces, adjustable panard rod and aspec brace. doesnt have much body roll but can be a bit stiff for some things. plan to run some trd rear springs or maybe slightly softer and some stiffer front coils with coilover conversion and camber tops.

ae71neo
10th May 2005, 05:29 PM
What adjustable panhard rod do you have? I need one seeing as though the diff is like half a inch further to the left...

mikes86
10th May 2005, 11:26 PM
got it of the wrecking trueno option 1 had/has cant rember the brand just got it and threw it on. havent really had a good chance to test it due to my engine havin massive woman issues

E V A N
18th May 2005, 02:03 AM
Heres the setup i am in the process of getting....

NOBYBOOTH front coilover suspension including adjustable camber tops
NOBYBOOTH Tie end rod
CUSCO Formula Link Lower Control Arms
CUSCO Stabilizer front and rear bar
CUSCO oval aluminium carbon fibre strut brace
SECTION Pillow Ball Tension rods
T3 Roll Center Adjusters

TOKICO HTS 104 Dampers rear
TRD Rear Low Springs
T3 Panhard / Lateral Bar &
T3 Rear Four Links

Its very expensive, but its all new gear and i didn't want to go cheap with the suspension as i am a brand whore lol

mumblezzz
18th May 2005, 09:34 AM
Obviously. But it wont make you drift better.

E V A N
18th May 2005, 02:15 PM
We'll see

seek
18th May 2005, 05:41 PM
WE will see..............

E V A N
18th May 2005, 05:47 PM
...Yes we will

RobertoX
26th May 2005, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by mumblezzz@May 22 2005, 02:34 AM
no, no it prolly wont.

he will get more overall gains tho, the parts ACTUALLY fit properly (not like most aussie stuff) he will improve re sale value, and these parts are proven to work, and now he can run fat ass stickers lol

mumblezzz
26th May 2005, 06:41 PM
Meh your money I guess. But it must suck when someone with cut springs and home made shit worth a quarter of the price is faster. Resale is for soft cocks. 86 fo' lyfe man.

seek
26th May 2005, 06:47 PM
bwhahahahahahaha pauly................

monkeymajik
27th May 2005, 01:27 AM
My dad can beat up your dad.

upgarage
27th May 2005, 01:56 AM
now now kiddies..
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

RobertoX
27th May 2005, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by mumblezzz@May 30 2005, 11:41 AM
Meh your money I guess. But it must suck when someone with cut springs and home made shit worth a quarter of the price is faster. Resale is for soft cocks. 86 fo' lyfe man.
errrr... i hope that wasnt direct at me??

cos the drift car we had down here, we ran that for a while with chopped springs and a wrecking yard spec rear sway bar, and that was very good, even better when we rebuilt the steering rack.

resale? well given that 86's are worth more and more every day some people do care about re sale

basically if one has the money then why not have nice parts

but no amount of money can make up for awesome drivers!!!

peace

ToySprinta
27th May 2005, 09:50 AM
I'm running the Whiteline setup in mine.
Koni adj
adj swaybars
20mm RCA's
Whilteline bushes
T3 camber tops
Whiteline Strut brace
Whiteline adj panhard rod

Don't know how it compares to the jap stuff, but it handles well

Cheers
Steve

RobertoX
27th May 2005, 03:15 PM
if it works it works, i have a mix of jap, aussie and home made, hhahaha

Daniel-AE86
27th May 2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by mumblezzz@May 22 2005, 02:34 AM
For that money, you could almost do a s14 IRS conversion.

RobertoX
28th May 2005, 02:26 AM
^^^^ - cross breeding is a whole other issue hahahaha

drft86
28th May 2005, 06:11 PM
I've heard that xd or xf falcon front springs are great for the rear.

Has anybody used these??

I have heard that when there cut down to desired height there still very stiff.

Is this true??

slide86
28th May 2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by drft86@May 28 2005, 05:11 PM
I've heard that xd or xf falcon front springs are great for the rear.

Has anybody used these??

I have heard that when there cut down to desired height there still very stiff.

Is this true??
i think josh (mr2drift) used to use those springs
they seemed to wrok well for him

ToySprinta
31st May 2005, 11:15 PM
What sort of camber are people running?? I'm running neg1.5 and still chewing the outside edges, and i've got no more adj left in the tops http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif might have to get some T3 neg camber RCA's

Cheers
Steve

RobertoX
1st June 2005, 12:44 AM
adjustable control arms would help

decoyslikecurves
1st June 2005, 01:18 AM
I just bought....
4 x tociko hts102r shocks
1 pair of custom front coilovers
2 x secret brand front springs in 8kg
2 x secret brand rear springs in 6kg, 220mm unsprung height
1 pair cusco cambertops

excellent. Thanks to Dave for the hookups. (truenosedan)

RobertoX
1st June 2005, 09:16 PM
yeah some sick guy hooked you up with it

mumblezzz
2nd June 2005, 09:32 AM
Just interested? What price can you do the HTS for?

ae86dave
5th June 2005, 07:30 PM
ive coil overs in the front of mine and im running reset hvy dty kings in the rear,
i heard xf falcon springs with some short stroke shocks are meant to be
fairly stiff, or should i keep my king springs and just use some short strokes.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

RobertoX
5th June 2005, 09:13 PM
i can sell you some short stroke tokico hts if you are interested

slydar
6th June 2005, 08:57 PM
front gab gymkhana mr2 sw20 front inserts. 7kg dobinson springs struts shortened 40mm (spacer required in bottom of strut) fulcrum coilover sleeves.

rear cut down xf falcon springs (bought new) and cheapo "heavy duty oil" hilux ln106 front shox's in the back.

shouldnt have skimped on the rear shox but its still not a bad set up.

still making decsions on the other bits, but whatever they end up being theyll be in before the next DD at QR.

wil definately be using HTS next time though. theyre really not that exxy when you consider how many pro's use them.

sic86
6th June 2005, 08:59 PM
At the moment I am running Koni Adjustable's all round, king springs all round and a front whiteline strut brace. Still unsure of furture plans, got other parts to worry about at the moment.

Cheers

Matt
17th May 2006, 09:56 AM
i saw a thread about a ke70 running EA falcon springs all round?.. will falcon springs fit on ke 70 struts?

poh_86
17th May 2006, 12:04 PM
kyb fronts 7kg
kyb gas excel rears 5kg
the rear is still very spongey

what other shocks could i upgrade to?

mattysshop
17th May 2006, 01:40 PM
Front
Converted coilovers from stock struts (60mm shortened)
TRD yellow AE92 shocks
8kg (450lbs/in)
T3 RCA's (I think there 40 or 50mm)
Cusco camber tops
Unknown strut brace ends, made my own bar
Rear
TRD 6.5 kg rears
rear shocks NEEDED!! using RA40 munro gas atm.. hey.. at least the springs are captured.. kinda..
18mm whiteline swaybar
cucso panhard rod
rebushed from front>back with superpro urethane bushes..

Barrrp86
17th May 2006, 01:52 PM
hey guys im savin up for some coils at the moment but i was wonderin if i cut the springs would it make the handleing better at all for the meen while????

asuka
17th May 2006, 05:04 PM
standard KYB shocks and captive kings low springs

see how long they last and the then get prob tein adjustable coilovers, i dont want it to be a dedicated drift car anymore cause it's a daily now

Matt
17th May 2006, 11:48 PM
so a good cheap setup to use until my coil overs are ready are?

Front stock struts...which spring????

rear: falcon xf rear springs and vitara shocks??

would appreciate if some one could clear this up as i want to buy this stuff tomorrow.

cheers

RobertoX
18th May 2006, 01:44 PM
65 cortina springs

Matt
18th May 2006, 02:55 PM
i bought some stuff today!! i got falcon springs for the rear, and some suzuki shocks. now jus trying to work out how mucj to cut off the falcon springs. I heard 3 coils roughly 250mm standing height, is the go for sprinters, but i also read a good height is 200mm standing heaight on the spring. any one have any suggestions? ke70 btw.

mattysshop
18th May 2006, 03:41 PM
just start with a few.. then chuck them in.. bounce on the car a few times.. to help settle them.. have a look.. not low enough? cut some more! etc etc.. but don't forget.. the springs may settle an extra 1/2 inch after a few days useage..

dori_86
18th May 2006, 04:15 PM
r u talking only about cut springs when u say the will settle after a couple of day? or all springs?

RobertoX
18th May 2006, 05:35 PM
all springs

dori_86
18th May 2006, 05:49 PM
so when i chuck my front coilovers in with rear springs, i should match the height as best i can then maybe the weekend after re- adjust the height of the front? or will the front compres at roughly the same rate?

xolent
18th May 2006, 06:05 PM
so when i chuck my front coilovers in with rear springs, i should match the height as best i can then maybe the weekend after re- adjust the height of the front? or will the front compres at roughly the same rate?[/b]

i don't know what kind of coilover set up your running, but most coilover springs are different (in diameter) compared to rear springs

dori_86
18th May 2006, 06:08 PM
it was supposed to read like --- coilover fronts, and just springs rear (not coilovers)

mattysshop
19th May 2006, 08:24 AM
yeh basicly.. give them a few days, then check all the heights..