PDA

View Full Version : sr20 into a sprinter

DRiiFT_King
9th April 2005, 07:45 PM
hey,
just wondering if any one has put a sr20 in to there hachi or knows some who has?
whats involved in it? what needs changing? gearbox, engine mounts, tail shaft? money spent? pros cons?

upgarage
9th April 2005, 07:53 PM
ok

heres what needs to be done.
im doing the ca18 conversion so it is an almost identical conversion.

Ingredients:
Custom engine, gbox mounts,exhaust, cooler piping
New radiator due to outlet on other side. S13/14/15 might fit.
tailshaft needs shortening and new yoke put on.
new hole for shift, sits about 5-10cm back
intercooler
fuel pump
s13 slave cyl

what needs changing? eng, gbox, T series diff, radiator, mounts,

cost? sr's are pretty expensive so 2-3k for sr with loom and ecu with box.

the rest is all custom work pretty much
total cost can range from 3k-5K+
depending on how mcuh you can do and how cheaply you find/do stuff.

Pro's? torquey motor, lots of aftermarket support, kills 4ac/4age

cons? high costs of sr, doesnt like to rev as much as CA/4age

i've probably forgotten a few things so please add.

seek
9th April 2005, 08:05 PM
IF you do the engine/gearbox mounts right and hybrid the gearbox the shifter can fit in the same hole, my shifter fits in the same factory hole running a hybrid box with my ca conversion

upgarage
9th April 2005, 10:36 PM
yeah

rb20 gbox with ca bellhousing?

DRiiFT_King
10th April 2005, 06:17 PM
why do most people go for a CA? price or something more then that

slide86
10th April 2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by DRiiFT_King@Apr 10 2005, 05:17 PM
why do most people go for a CA? price or something more then that
cheap power

seek
10th April 2005, 10:55 PM
price, more power, little more reliability if built right, something different..........

DRiiFT_King
11th April 2005, 08:43 PM
does having the extra power but abit to much strain on things or does every thing seen to be strong enough?

RobertoX
11th April 2005, 10:57 PM
80% of jap drivers (competitive track or drift) stick with 4age 16v (mostly NA), that is enough to convince me to stay with 4age no matter what it uses to make its power

inbreeding works...but only in complete drift pigs...

upgarage
12th April 2005, 04:39 AM
the 4age drift cars in japan have a way bigger budget than a private drifter

hence ca /sr is cheap power
they spend 10k+ on their 4age's

RobertoX
12th April 2005, 11:08 AM
^^ agreed yes

DRiiFT_King
12th April 2005, 10:34 PM
are there any hidden catches to this cheap power or is it all straight forward if you spend the time?
has any one here done?
how much have you spent on engine mounts, and were have you got this done?

upgarage
13th April 2005, 03:41 AM
cheap power compared to heavily modded 4age

engine mount is custom job
can either cut and reweld the mounts on the xmember or get some custom mounts made that bolt to existing holes.

RobertoX
13th April 2005, 12:38 PM
there is a downside how ever

it is "illegal" to get engineered u would need to spend considerable money - erasing the cheap power positive

things like inbreeding etc that people dont like...

your car is often worth less - originality is prized in japan, also it is harder to sell when parts have been heavily modified

often handling change with more weight over front wheels etc

monkeymajik
13th April 2005, 04:56 PM
I would be budgeting more than 3-5k for an SR swap thats for sure.

E V A N
13th April 2005, 07:35 PM
I will be doing the SR20DET conversion later in the year and i can't wait.
Seeing as the SR is all alloy it is not a really over bearing and heavy motor that changes the handling too much. I really want the power and the strong gearbox.
I'm aiming for 250hp - 350hp at the motor which is easily attainable. The cost of building a 4AGTE is much more if you were aiming for the same power.

seek
13th April 2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by truenosedan@Apr 13 2005, 01:38 AM

it is "illegal" to get engineered u would need to spend considerable money - erasing the cheap power positive

your car is often worth less - originality is prized in japan, also it is harder to sell when parts have been heavily modified

how is it "illegal" champ? I literally could of done mine on the cheap, easily converted for under $3k. Ive gone the full on route though, it is essentially a drift car, and drift demands a lot from the car so ive done every effort to make the car as reliable as possible. The diff is the weak point in the hachi for this kind of conversion, the axles tend to shear a lot, and with billet axles they tehn tend to smash centres depending on hp running. Anything over roughly 300hp atw will start smashing diffs. As for the inbreeding thing so what? I wanted something different, somehting which the 4age couldnt provide even in turboed form......... The weight of the CA is not much more than the 4ages's weight believe it or not, plus in my conversion the engine sits further back and further down too providing a better balance.............

DRiiFT_King
13th April 2005, 09:18 PM
what about all that legal crap, is it a illegal full stop, or only illegal if its not engineered, cause to get it engineered dont you just have to make sure the brakes are big enough and the chassis is strong enough, cause thats shit im going to do any way!

upgarage
13th April 2005, 09:44 PM
needs to be engineering to be legal

ca is lighter than SR even though ca is cast iron and sr is alloy

if you know your shit
can make ur car handle nice with ca or sr

mounts it far back and as low as possible.

RobertoX
13th April 2005, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by THE 86+Apr 17 2005, 12:54 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-truenosedan@Apr 13 2005, 01:38 AM

how is it "illegal" champ? I literally could of done mine on the cheap, easily converted for under $3k. Ive gone the full on route though, it is essentially a drift car, and drift demands a lot from the car so ive done every effort to make the car as reliable as possible. The diff is the weak point in the hachi for this kind of conversion, the axles tend to shear a lot, and with billet axles they tehn tend to smash centres depending on hp running. Anything over roughly 300hp atw will start smashing diffs. As for the inbreeding thing so what? I wanted something different, somehting which the 4age couldnt provide even in turboed form......... The weight of the CA is not much more than the 4ages's weight believe it or not, plus in my conversion the engine sits further back and further down too providing a better balance............. [/b]
dude i wasnt having a go at u personally.....

but ae86 is almost a classic car...i know ca isnt butchering it...but if u wanted a ca why didnt you get a silvia???

if u wanted power....toyota has a few options available....

im not fussed what engine u run, as long as it fills the design brief it had to then i guess it was a worthwhile success....but yeh , not my cup of tea

as far as legality goes...if a cop pulls you over...and he sees NISSAN on the rocker cover and a glowing turbo i think he may jig on something, and for it to be legal ti would need a mod cert/engineers cert or what ever you have in your state....

upgarage
14th April 2005, 06:24 AM
name a fast light rwd toyota?

thats right there are none

seek
14th April 2005, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by truenosedan@Apr 13 2005, 12:45 PM
dude i wasnt having a go at u personally.....

but ae86 is almost a classic car...i know ca isnt butchering it...but if u wanted a ca why didnt you get a silvia???

if u wanted power....toyota has a few options available....

im not fussed what engine u run, as long as it fills the design brief it had to then i guess it was a worthwhile success....but yeh , not my cup of tea

as far as legality goes...if a cop pulls you over...and he sees NISSAN on the rocker cover and a glowing turbo i think he may jig on something, and for it to be legal ti would need a mod cert/engineers cert or what ever you have in your state....
I realise you werent having a go at me champ, its cool. A CA isnt butchering the car at all, would you say that having a turbo on the side of a 4age is butchering the 86? I looked at all other options, apart from 3sgte there really wasnt much to slot in there without going to ridiculous extremes. At the end of the day, the car needed to remain registered, but also serve duty as a 100% drift vehicle. Everything in the car has been mod plated (enginnered), so that if a cop DOES pull me over, there will be no problem there, cept maybe height and noise but thats a different story http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif I didnt get a Silvia because I didnt WANT a Silvia, I wanted a 86. 86"s are a drivers car when setup right, i imported mine knowing full well that i was going to rip the 4age out and stick a ca into it. The weight distributiion is almost 100% spot on too. Brett up here runs a sr20DET 86 with over 300hp at the treads, his only main concern is snapping axles........ At the end of the day its what you want, I wanted a car that was DIFFERENT to everyone elses, and trust me when it finally comes out it will be..............

RobertoX
14th April 2005, 12:23 PM
turbo on the side of a 4age isnt butchering imho, as it is modifing the STANDARD engine, i look forward to seeing your car when it is happening thanks man....debate over...hahhahaha opinions respected

u wont be complaining when u r still wheelspinning at the top of 3rd lol, just do it right...good luck man

RobertoX
14th April 2005, 12:23 PM
u guys have wider longer tracks up there so i can see the need for more power...

DRiiFT_King
15th April 2005, 08:36 PM
with that brett guy, was he snaping axles before 300hp, because im only looking at around 200hp, wouldnt finding axles for a sprinter be a pain in the arse?

monkeymajik
15th April 2005, 11:05 PM
You wont snap axles with 200hp, you MIGHT twist them if it's a drag car with a locker or a real tight lsd.

upgarage
16th April 2005, 01:23 AM
T series rear end is a must
S series rear is so weak
breaks with sotck 4age's and probably 4ac's too

t series can handle some torque

DRiiFT_King
16th April 2005, 12:23 PM
how much screwing around is involed in a t-series swap, isnt there alot of cutting and machining, cost?

upgarage
16th April 2005, 02:44 PM
none at all
everything bolts in

DRiiFT_King
17th April 2005, 09:59 PM
is it easy to get ya hands on it, should i beable to get from a wreackers such as toyospares? how much am i looking at?

upgarage
18th April 2005, 01:15 AM
easy to get
150 drum to drum with hand brake cable and shaft is around the norm

DRiiFT_King
18th April 2005, 08:03 PM
$150 you sure?

RobertoX
18th April 2005, 10:03 PM
wreckers are figuring out they are popular, prepare to pay up to $250 and above with tail shaft now

DRiiFT_King
19th April 2005, 01:17 PM
thats not that bad!! ill start looking now, going to ring around and try to get some round figures on engine mounts and gear box mounts

upgarage
19th April 2005, 01:19 PM
find one with a swaybar
saves some time on fucking around later on

RobertoX
19th April 2005, 05:35 PM
there were sooo many more series ones (no sway) released tho

upgarage
19th April 2005, 08:07 PM
search around cant be too hard to find

DRiiFT_King
22nd April 2005, 06:38 PM
i got a price for a t-series rear end, it had disc brakes and sway bars, and hand brake cable, $800

Joel-AE86
23rd April 2005, 02:19 AM
^^^That sounds like a JDM T-Series.

The T18 diffs bolt straight up to a hachi. There are plenty around, but yeh most with no sway bars. You will need a good grinder and welder to cut off your S-series ones and weld them to your T-series.

A cheap upgrade for this also is to fit a TA22 T-series diff centre. The gearset in these is a 4.1:1 ratio, which will make your engine rev up a little quicker than the 3.9:1.

mumblezzz
23rd April 2005, 11:52 AM
Damn, must suck to live down south. I got my whole T-18 3.9 rear end for 85 bucks from the wrecker. Add 20 bucks for a celica 4.1 centre and $120 to get the LSD centre I had fitted to the t18 housing. Disc brakes arent really worth the premium you pay for em.

RobertoX
23rd April 2005, 04:22 PM
no, but they add resale value to your car...which i dont care about lol

upgarage
24th April 2005, 02:12 AM
hehe

find someone with a wrecked jdm 86 and ur set

disks are handy but not essential

DRiiFT_King
24th April 2005, 09:56 AM
il guessing the t-series didnt come with an LSD, is there another toyota or something that came with one that would fit the housing that would be easy to find at a wreckers?

upgarage
24th April 2005, 04:08 PM
No

imported te71 with disks and lsd more rare than ae86
ae86 with disks and lsd - semi rare $$$
just get a t18 and a 2way lsd

the stock lsd is a piece of shit

RobertoX
24th April 2005, 11:27 PM
i wouldnt say it is a piece of shit....crab seems to do quite well with one...

but yes agreed no comparison to an aftermarket 2 way

upgarage
25th April 2005, 03:11 PM
theyre crap
theyre getting 20+ years old
u cant expect them to be a solid lsd
theyre only 2 pinion too and are not 2way

DRiiFT_King
25th April 2005, 09:24 PM
LSD centres i have only seen for $800+ thats not that cool for a budget project, any thing that will fit with out the price tag that will do the job??

upgarage
25th April 2005, 09:39 PM
t18 rear + locker is cheapest u can do

Shiri
25th April 2005, 09:41 PM
weld it u cheapskate

DRiiFT_King
25th April 2005, 10:08 PM
thats what i was going to do, but the cars going to be a daily driver for a few more years, and i have been told it makes reversing and parking a dog

slide86
25th April 2005, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by DRiiFT_King@Apr 25 2005, 08:24 PM
LSD centres i have only seen for $800+ thats not that cool for a budget project, any thing that will fit with out the price tag that will do the job??
man $800 is about the price for a 2nd hand lsd goodluck finding a new one for that
and i wouldnt touch a 2nd hand lsd, never now how good it is and rebuilds are around $300 so why not just get new? last longer too
im getting a new kaaz 2 way they go for around $1200 ish
and yes im on a budget to, im only 16 aswell but this is the most import mod u can do its worth every cent http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Shiri
25th April 2005, 10:36 PM
so let me get this straight... ur interested in TRD engine mounts which are pretty much completly useless wanker rice for a daily driven ae86... but ur not willing to fork out an extra 800 for a proper lsd?

upgarage
26th April 2005, 01:19 AM
dude u cant have it both ways

u either be a tightass and put up with a locker or fork out the cash and get a lsd

RobertoX
26th April 2005, 12:12 PM
hahaha,

just weld it, shell be right

most people notice quite a few of the traits of a welded diff in a 2way lsd anyway

but as shiri said, if u r gonna buy phullli seek engine mounts, then one would have to reconsider where his money was going!!!

upgarage
26th April 2005, 05:07 PM
locker makes you under steer
until u pop the clutch and get the wheels spinning http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

mumblezzz
26th April 2005, 06:51 PM
Locker = Clunks, Pops, Bangs, Chirps
Aftermarket LSD = Clunks, Pops, Bangs, Chirps

upgarage
26th April 2005, 07:15 PM
lsd isnt as harsh

DRiiFT_King
26th April 2005, 08:26 PM
the only reason i was thinking about the trd engine mounts is cause every thing thats any were near the engine bay is fucked, and finding replacements are hard to come buy so i thought its there and another one wont come around for a while, i never said i was a tight arse and wasnt going for an LSD, i just thought if something was out there that did the same job for a fraction of the price why not go that way!!! and what the fucks wrong with rice??

DRiiFT_King
28th April 2005, 08:27 PM
okay back to the topic, engine mounts, were abouts have you got this done, and for around what price? cheers

slide86
28th April 2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by DRiiFT_King@Apr 28 2005, 07:27 PM
okay back to the topic, engine mounts, were abouts have you got this done, and for around what price? cheers
what do u mean by how much and where do u get this done?
u know how much they are
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/in...p?showtopic=144 (http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/index.php?showtopic=144)

and i dont see why u cannot install them urself before u put ur 4age/4agze in

DRiiFT_King
28th April 2005, 08:46 PM
na, im talking about custon engine/ gearbox mounts for a sr20 swap!

drft86
28th April 2005, 08:52 PM
just get some engine mounts of a 4ac for $5 and save up for a lsd

upgarage
28th April 2005, 08:58 PM
u getting a 4a or sr??

sr is all custom

drft86
28th April 2005, 09:02 PM
why the trd engine mounts then http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/ohmy.gif

slide86
28th April 2005, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by drft86@Apr 28 2005, 08:02 PM
why the trd engine mounts then http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/ohmy.gif
exactly lol this makes no sense
so now ur getting an sr are you?
a few days ago u where talking about trd engine mounts and how u dont want to pay for an lsd because they cost so much, and now u want a full custom sr20det set up http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

i dont mean to be harsh but all i can say is goodluck to you, this is where it gets expensive

DRiiFT_King
29th April 2005, 06:14 PM
the sr20 is just an idea at the moment, thats why im asking so many questions so i can get priced up, all i did was offer a price for the trd engine mounts if i go for a 4agze, becouse i dont want to spend all that money and haveing them siting on the piecs of shit from the 4ac, and theres no point buying engine mounts later on or if something happens cause thats just a waste money and time, and i can drift without and LSD but i cant drift without more then the 58kw that comes with a 4ac

CAE86
29th April 2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by D1_Spec@Apr 28 2005, 08:52 PM
and now u want a full custom sr20det set up http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif

i dont mean to be harsh but all i can say is goodluck to you, this is where it gets expensive
Dunno about that,

I am putting a CA18 DET into my sprinter and all up, it is going to cost not much more than $7000. That is including the following:

Engine, RB20 Gearbox, Installation of both (incl wiring), 2 way lsd, Custom Tailshaft, Exhaust and intercooler plumbing, fMIC, Custom Coilovers up front, lowered springs and short-rate shocks rear, JDM Front brakes, efi Fuel tank.

Personally I don't think that is too expensive. Main reason it is going to be cheap, is I am installing most parts myself which keeps costs down.

upgarage
29th April 2005, 07:55 PM
7k????

my ca18det conversion will owe me about 2k

mikes86
30th April 2005, 08:27 AM
all depends on who you know or what you know, to save you a shit load of money like all projects

monkeymajik
30th April 2005, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by upgarage@Apr 29 2005, 06:55 PM
7k????

yeah but CAE86 has included coilovers, rb20box, brakes, fmic, a whole new rear end and suspension in his conversion cost.

DRiiFT_King
30th April 2005, 01:59 PM
so what about engine and gearbox mounts, whats every one done or doing in that department???

upgarage
30th April 2005, 03:10 PM
i've told you 5 times already
CUSTOM!!!!!!

seek
30th April 2005, 04:02 PM
Anthony Kellam has some custom ones for sale not sure on the retail, I have some here im not usuing if your interested pm me

Moebius
30th April 2005, 05:35 PM
i have my car in the shop at the moment getting an sr fitted.

its pretty hard to add up all the costs, because as everyone has said, it needs a fair bit of custom work.

my mechanics think with new engine mounts and a modded tail shaft it should be a pretty straight foward swap.

i'll let u know how it is in another week or two hopefully

clint.

seek
30th April 2005, 11:16 PM
its not exactly a straightforward swap there is some dicking around involved to get it all to work properly (note key word : properly).

Turbokid
8th May 2005, 07:24 PM
7k????

Haha.

I love this WILL cost me attitude.

Unless you get a super deal it would cost you at least $1500 for engine, gearbox, loom and ecu.

Factor in a custom tail shaft, custom engine mounts, custom crossmembers (gearbox and engine), shifter relocation, clutch cylinder.

Then you will probably want to do a service on the CA, timing belt change perhaps, maybe a new heavy duty clutch?

Then there is wiring, extra gauges etc to consider.

Your kidding yourself if you think you can CA an 86 for 2k!

upgarage
8th May 2005, 09:12 PM
yep around 2k

mate maybe a bit more once its all done
1k eng loom ecu and gbox
200 for tailshaft
came with heavy duty clutch
just over 100k km's - so timing belt, water pump done.
300 for mounts
wiring gonna be done by my mate
new oil, plugs filter 70 bucks genuine nissan trade price
rb gbox mech speedo sender - free
omori tacho - 100
ca18det fuel pump - free
radiator - 30 bucks
cooler - got it cheap through mate
piping not done yet

shifter relocation? its called cutting a hole which costs nothing.
clutch cylinder? my line bolts right into the ca gbox slave which came on my box

Sprinterboy
4th June 2005, 03:52 PM
if your going to swap the 4.1 center from a ta22 into your t18 rear end, wouldnt it be more cost effective to put in the ta22 rear end? Does it fit?

Sprinterboy
4th June 2005, 03:54 PM
oh yeah, are all t18 rear ends adequate?? or are some s series?

upgarage
4th June 2005, 03:57 PM
ta22 rear end doesnt bolt in.
i think the track is wider and the mounts dont line up

T series diff ARE stronger than a S series

Sprinterboy
4th June 2005, 04:04 PM
good stuff, im gonna be searching the wreckers.
if the t18 centre is 3.9, whats the stock s series?
cheers

garage_kook01
4th June 2005, 04:16 PM
i shotgun the 1 at yeppoon wreckers http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif
if its still there

Sprinterboy
4th June 2005, 06:40 PM
hahahaha, im not getting one in the next couple of months so i think your safe. how common are t18's anyway? theyre just a corolla right?

upgarage
4th June 2005, 08:23 PM
s series is 3.9

t series is either 3.7 or 3.9
check the build plate

Sprinterboy
4th June 2005, 10:09 PM
as in the build plate in the ngine bay? what should it say? i didnt think they specified diffs.

upgarage
5th June 2005, 05:27 PM
yes on the firewall

seek
5th June 2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Turbokid+May 8 2005, 06:24 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-upgarage@Apr 29 2005, 06:55 PM
7k????

Haha.

I love this WILL cost me attitude.

Unless you get a super deal it would cost you at least $1500 for engine, gearbox, loom and ecu.

Factor in a custom tail shaft, custom engine mounts, custom crossmembers (gearbox and engine), shifter relocation, clutch cylinder.

Then you will probably want to do a service on the CA, timing belt change perhaps, maybe a new heavy duty clutch?

Then there is wiring, extra gauges etc to consider.

Your kidding yourself if you think you can CA an 86 for 2k! [/b]
Actually Im another that could of had it in there for less than $2k. I on the otherhand am going spastic with aftermarket turbo, cams, adj cam gears, springs, power fc, head gasket, alloy radiator etc which has slightly put it over $2k http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Engine cost me $800, sold the box, the turbo and manifold, the ecu and the standard clutch. Engine owes me -$50. Brand new Exedy Heavy Duty Clutch, pressure plate and machined Flywheel $450. Custom Engine mounts and gearbox mounts $150 (mate is a fabricator). Slave Cylinder $50 new. Radiator $50. EVO 7 Cooler $350

So far that adds up to $1000. I put the motor in myself (shifter lines up perfectly with the origional factory hole). Tailshaft mod needed ($220), Wiring wired to dash plus assorted guages etc wired in ($150) Cooler piping, polished stainless ($450) Exhaust $100.

$1920 in total throw in some plugs some oil and a new filter and theres the magic $2000 mark. All done properly by fabricators/engineers and would pass mod plate easily.

CAE86
6th June 2005, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by Pat_AE86@Jun 4 2005, 03:04 PM
If they don't have one in stock, get them to chase it up for you. I did that with a guy down in murwillumbah, and he had one in his yard the next day. Only reason I got it from that far away, was because I drive past it every week for work and just dropped in one day. So just ask them and they should be able to find one pretty quickly... be warned though, the price has gone up considerably since they found out what they are used for.

Sprinterboy
7th June 2005, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by CAE86+Jun 6 2005, 06:39 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Pat_AE86@Jun 4 2005, 03:04 PM
be warned though, the price has gone up considerably since they found out what they are used for. [/b]
F@#K http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

slydar
14th June 2005, 02:56 AM
(brett typing) if ur lookin to do the SR conversion there is a little bit involved, but the results are pretty good, u can email me on bretty_lee@hotmail.com and l can chat 2 u more about it, but as some people have said, ITS ALL CUSTOM, ie nothing just bolts together and if ur lookin to have somebody else doing it it WILL cost u, most of my stuff was given to me or bought VERY cheaply

slydar
14th June 2005, 02:57 AM
engine fitment

slydar
18th June 2005, 03:56 AM
7k????

[Dimitri typing]

i could not go past this.

FFS get real. i consider myself becoming quite well versed at piecing together conversions on the cheap... but if you think you can do a ca for that youre a looney.

CA engine prices are sky rocketting. its supply and demand, and the amount of demand for them for conversions into old dattos is high.. the day of the ca is coming to an end... the day of the cheap ca conversion is OVER.

and to add to whats been touched on here already.. not only is the 86 a classic, so is the 4ag... and its the chassis the engine was released in..

bah anyway. do whatever you want, but do some real reasearch before you start handing out the gospel. like call a few places and actually get some quotes on prices.. dont just regurgitate old imformation from threads that are probably 12 months old, the imformation within them is probably based on some thread that someone read 12 months before that.

upgarage
18th June 2005, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by slydar+Jun 18 2005, 12:56 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-upgarage@Apr 29 2005, 06:55 PM
7k????

[Dimitri typing]

i could not go past this.

FFS get real. i consider myself becoming quite well versed at piecing together conversions on the cheap... but if you think you can do a ca for that youre a looney.

CA engine prices are sky rocketting. its supply and demand, and the amount of demand for them for conversions into old dattos is high.. the day of the ca is coming to an end... the day of the cheap ca conversion is OVER.

and to add to whats been touched on here already.. not only is the 86 a classic, so is the 4ag... and its the chassis the engine was released in..

bah anyway. do whatever you want, but do some real reasearch before you start handing out the gospel. like call a few places and actually get some quotes on prices.. dont just regurgitate old imformation from threads that are probably 12 months old, the imformation within them is probably based on some thread that someone read 12 months before that. [/b]
you dont reckon it could be done for that? well it has been done for that so you must be living in some sort of deluded world.
u dont think i can do a ca for that price? well sorry to rain on your parade sunshine but i have.

ca prices skyrocketing? yeah is so lucky i got mine cheap then ey

sure the 4age is a classic but name a cheaper way to get decent power.
3sgte - too much adjective around converting it to rwd, weak gbox
4age - building a tough 4age isnt really what i want, i like a bit of torque. and 2k spent on a 4age wont get you anything near a ca's torque levels.

4agze - halfcuts are nearing on 2.2k and engine packages around 1800. not really a good option. plus you have to put up with the weak t50.

4agte - building a 4agte with good power/response/torque means u gotta fork out for a aftermarket ecu. also you gotta do a w58 conversion if you want a strong gbox and a good ratio.

do some real research? the research has been done. everything has been bought and the cooler piping exhaust and tailshaft have been priced up. aint regurgitating any info, all information i've typed out is 1st hand.

if you have mechnical knowledge and handy with wiring you too could do it for that price.

DRFTAE86
4th July 2005, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by upgarage@Jun 18 2005, 04:39 AM
you dont reckon it could be done for that? well it has been done for that so you must be living in some sort of deluded world.
u dont think i can do a ca for that price? well sorry to rain on your parade sunshine but i have.

ca prices skyrocketing? yeah is so lucky i got mine cheap then ey

sure the 4age is a classic but name a cheaper way to get decent power.
3sgte - too much adjective around converting it to rwd, weak gbox
4age - building a tough 4age isnt really what i want, i like a bit of torque. and 2k spent on a 4age wont get you anything near a ca's torque levels.

4agze - halfcuts are nearing on 2.2k and engine packages around 1800. not really a good option. plus you have to put up with the weak t50.

4agte - building a 4agte with good power/response/torque means u gotta fork out for a aftermarket ecu. also you gotta do a w58 conversion if you want a strong gbox and a good ratio.

do some real research? the research has been done. everything has been bought and the cooler piping exhaust and tailshaft have been priced up. aint regurgitating any info, all information i've typed out is 1st hand.

if you have mechnical knowledge and handy with wiring you too could do it for that price.
Wow... well put, just about convinced me to go CA18DET.
But, i should do my own first hand research first.
Well see what happens. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Steve-AE86
15th November 2005, 10:33 PM
i've never seen/read so much bullshit in my life...you're like a bunch of old ladies.

no one's gonna do a conversion for 2k, and it's not gonna cost 7k.

s series diffs are ghey, but so are t series. i've snapped 3 zenki t series axles, with no more than 150kw@wheels. one was with 95@wheels.

locked diffs suck. 2 ways at least have a bit of slip for that non-tank slapping feeling.

Astroboy
20th January 2006, 10:34 PM
After a quick search of the net for this done in australia all i could find was lots of links going to toolmods

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=m...dd6c9f3696b6c10 (http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&goto=166966&rid=&S=d088453c52330e4f6dd6c9f3696b6c10)

Wonder if that guy ever got the irs in ?

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=m...dd6c9f3696b6c10 (http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&goto=540446&rid=&S=d088453c52330e4f6dd6c9f3696b6c10)

Found a few links of the car for sale ? wonder if it has new owner still around

Cannot find a guide etc any more pictures about it

Did another search for pictures and found this

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO7BAFydBDgTkA...ae86sr20det2005 (http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0SO7BAFydBDgTkAqU5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE3MnQyY2h tBGNvbG8DZQRsA1dTMQRwb3MDNDEEc2VjA3NyBHZ0aWQDRjY2N l84Mw--/SIG=11o5miudi/EXP=1137842821/**http%3a//www.pbase.com/ae86sr20det2005)

http://www.pbase.com/ae86sr20det2005

I am sure i have seen that car around ! cannot remember where

roadsailing
30th January 2006, 09:18 PM
I think i have seen that car around Andrew.

was the guy putting IRS in? that would pwn!!!!!

dirty_86
10th February 2006, 05:29 PM
hey man im Planning to do the SR20DE into a Sprinter as wel.. i just got a quote for 3500 - 4000, depending on what i wanted done.. people my critisize it.. buh reason i want a SR20DE in a sprinter is becoz.. i love the sprinter, and i love the SR20DE..( wondering whY? coz i drove a mates Silvia S13 it.. )..

gottago
21st February 2006, 11:15 AM
i have done the conversion and it is expensive as hell, dont go into it unless your willing to research what going in and whats gonna work. if your in syd pm me and i can put you in touch with people that have helped me with my conversion

caibs
7th March 2006, 11:39 PM
you can do anything for cheap if you know how to weld, grind and wire electrics up. anyone who disagrees is the type of person who needs to pay someone to do a conversion for them.

if you get the parts cheap enough - which, for example, upgarage obviously has, why is it not possible to do the conversion for under 2k?

.wolfwood
8th March 2006, 05:00 AM
fark if you can hook me up with a full ca conversion for 2 grand then give me some info, shit i will start it the day after if its only gona cost me that much.

thik it will cost a little more though

DRiiFT_King
8th March 2006, 06:47 PM
my ca conversion only cost $1600 and a slab, it only gets expensive when you start buying other stuff that isnt realy needed, just makes it better!

.wolfwood
8th March 2006, 07:29 PM
well shit man i will give ya $1600 if you can make it happen for me.

.wolfwood
8th March 2006, 07:34 PM
i dont c how it can be done. just for a turbo back zorst system i got a few prices and there all $1000+. so tahts most of the money gone

caibs
16th March 2006, 07:41 PM
if your in perth i'll let you know where you can get a good quality mild steel exhaust for a good price. i never could understand why people pay bulk cash for exhausts.. its just bent pipe. maybe if its sand-bending but definately not for mandrel.

alternatively, just run it outta the dump http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

rthy
19th March 2006, 06:17 PM
how about stopping power? what are people going to be use?

upgarage
19th March 2006, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by .wolfwood@Mar 8 2006, 04:34 PM
i dont c how it can be done. just for a turbo back zorst system i got a few prices and there all $1000+. so tahts most of the money gone
you need to look harder
my 3" exhaust cost me 340 from the dump back
120 for hks muffler
100 bucks for 3"custom stainless dump

psi_72
31st March 2006, 11:23 AM
HMMM im doin the sr20det conversion now, basically unless you get the motor + box free, your not gonna do it all that cheap, mine will cost me about $5000 by the time the motor is in, i have it all wired up n running, and a new diff and tailshaft made, an intercooler and god knows what else im buying lol guages to accomodate blah blah blah, actually it will end up prob a bit over $5000.
i figure my motor + box with complete loom cost me 3000, diff will be about 700, tailshaft 180, engine mounts 300, some prick to wire it up lol i dont wanna kno how much he is gonna try and sting me for it and yea then add everythin else into it and....the money adds up guys dont be silly and think u can do a ca or sr conversion for all that cheap, unless your engine was free http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

cheers

psi_72
31st March 2006, 11:26 AM
oh and a question i have for anyone/everyone that may know,

can anyone refer me to someone that makes engine mounts for sr20 into sprinter and possible someone that will wire it up? cheers ppls

psi_72
10th April 2006, 03:11 PM
come on someone must know somebody that does this? anyone lol? i want engine mounts http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

sr_rolla
14th April 2006, 12:10 AM
OK, assuming the KE70 engine bay and tunnel is the same as an AE86 (which I believe it is) you need to:

A) Cut the engine mounts off the cross member

B)put some RX7 Series 1,2 or 3 rubber engine mounts on in place of the SR ones

C) Reshape the tunnel

D) use a modified S13 G/Box crossmember

E) re-weld engine mounts back on in the apropriate spots

F) make a new hole for the gear stick and put the gear lever in the box backwards

G) put in an t series diff (T-18, RA60)

H) put in an electric fuel pump for the injection

I) get a custom tailshaft made

J) put in a bigger radiator (I used an ST165 celica one)

K) get an exhaust made

L) organise intercooler and assosiated plumbing

M) get it wired

N) get it engineered and registered

To anybody who doubts that this works, i have a KE70 with an SR20 and 40,000kms to prove me right.
you use the RX7 engine mounts because they are about 30mm thick, and stop the engine rocking about like it does on the standard sr mounts. You mount the gear lever backwards so it points fowards out of the box because the shifter sits about 100mms further back with an sr box (feels wierd at first but u get used to it).

I chose an ST165 radiator because you can get them for about $100 bucks from the wreckers, they should fit the standard sprinter radiator mounts, they are double as thick as a stock one, they come with 2 thermo fans stock and the inlet and outlet lines up with the sr ones.

No offence to anybody, but what the hell would you want a locker or LSD to start off with http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/huh.gif

just get an open center to get used to the power so if you plant it you just get excessive wheel spin instead of getting heaps of grip and spearing yet another 86 into the scenery. Besides, there cheaper. Just put in a stock one, wear it out then build an LSD when you've got some cash http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

the intercooler piping, exhaust and wiring are up to you, then enjoy it

P.S. the only problem you may have is bonnet clearance but just check as you go along, and sorry 4 the novel http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif .

happy trails http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

Matt-AE86
18th April 2006, 11:18 PM
S series rear is so weak
breaks with sotck 4age's and probably 4ac's too

t series can handle some torque[/b]

I find this hard to beleive, been running S series locker since September 05 and havent broken anything, this is going hard with a 4AGE. If a locker is welded correctly, should withstand anything. But I do beleive if i put a CA onto it, it would perish.

slydar
27th April 2006, 12:13 AM
if you use an RB20 box, your gear lever position will be better. theyre alot shorter shifter position.

PLACEBO
4th May 2006, 08:12 PM
Do they mate to the SR with ease? i thought it was the CA?

Anthony
6th May 2006, 12:25 AM
They mate to either as long as you have one of each box to make the hybrid with. So buy and engine package no trans, then grab a dead SR box (there heaps around) and a good RB box. It's really worth it.

PLACEBO
7th June 2006, 01:17 PM
so does the sr and ca bell housing bolt to rb gearboxes?

GAKI86
21st June 2006, 01:02 AM
the 4age drift cars in japan have a way bigger budget than a private drifter

hence ca /sr is cheap power
they spend 10k+ on their 4age's[/b]

or could it be that all parts sprinter/ae86/4age related are all up-priced?

PuGZoR
13th July 2006, 04:19 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to add a lil somethin somethin to this thread. Wow, I really sound like a wanker now. Meh.

I've heard from people who've done this kind of conversion before, that all that's really needed is to use custom mounts to set the engine fairly far back in the engine bay (to avoid hitting the bonnet), some beating up of the poor old tunnel, custom mounts for the box as well, and finally a custom tailshaft. That's the minimum for fitment anyway. Of course you could always go different diff, etc, but that's the bare minimum to get the engine in the car.

Best I've heard is get a frontcut from an S13 with an SR20DET in it, so you can use the brakes as well. Buy some rear brakes as an upgrade for the rear, and you're pretty set engineering wise because you've got the brakes to stop the extra power. Also, a towbar might be helpful for "towing your tinnie", because why else would you need a power upgrade in an AE86?

LSD is probably not the best idea if you're not used to the power, I agree. Have an LSD in my MR2 and it's a pain in the butt when you're inexperienced, although it does come in handy when you're used to the car.

I'm planning a hachi project for when I get rid of the MR2 (hopefully soon). I intend SR20DET powering the little bastard too... I did reject CA18DET because although the conversion is even simpler than SR20DET, when you start modding the engine reliability goes down the crapper, so I've been told. 4AGZE gets too expensive when you're wanting to push the kind of power an SR20 can do reliably. 4AGE costs too much to get up to that area too, because once it gets to a certain level, it's just more expensive for even minimal gains.

I'm still learning, so if anyone has info or firsthand experience that contradicts me, please let me know.

RobertoX
14th July 2006, 02:00 PM
what motors are all the COMPETITIVE ae86s in australia running??

oh thats right 4agte

crab, josh, beau, simon was, steve is going to, joel is going to, eddy, i will when the 4ac turbo fucks up...

ca18s are rubbish unless you build them up...which brings up the point.. why bother, everyone i know with a ca has fucked it....

as for an sr20? how much power you chasing?

crab wins everything with 130-150 rwkw which a 4a can do all day everyday

so unless you are building a drag car or a burnout car stick to 4a

Professor_cool
14th July 2006, 02:18 PM
what motors are all the COMPETITIVE ae86s in australia running??

oh thats right 4agte

crab, josh, beau, simon was, steve is going to, joel is going to, eddy, i will when the 4ac turbo fucks up...

ca18s are rubbish unless you build them up...which brings up the point.. why bother, everyone i know with a ca has fucked it....

as for an sr20? how much power you chasing?

crab wins everything with 130-150 rwkw which a 4a can do all day everyday

so unless you are building a drag car or a burnout car stick to 4a[/b]

your a spanker... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/rolleyes.gif yep think about this... a ca/sr will easy make 150 atw's which as you have said is more than enough....

a ca /sr is sfa heavier than the turbo charged 4a equliviant thus not fukn with the handling....

a ca/sr will make more torque....

so at the end of they day its personal pefrence what you choose to use and i believe it will have no effect on results as both options provide the goods to make cars slide...

and i'd go as far to say the ca/sr is better as they make so much more torque

RobertoX
14th July 2006, 02:30 PM
yep im a spanker!

i dont have a problem with ca/sr in ae86, but my point is why bother, when most ae86 have 4age already in them

you sold your fc and bought a pre built ca86, fair enough, but if it had a 4age would you swap it out for a ca?

i would say my 4ac will be more reliable than a ca!

matts bluebird, has spun 3 bearings, and blown a head gasket

yours has had a block swap etc

im not saying 4a's dont have issues, but the ca's have their fair share

Professor_cool
14th July 2006, 02:59 PM
yep im a spanker!

i dont have a problem with ca/sr in ae86, but my point is why bother, when most ae86 have 4age already in them

you sold your fc and bought a pre built ca86, fair enough, but if it had a 4age would you swap it out for a ca?

i would say my 4ac will be more reliable than a ca!

matts bluebird, has spun 3 bearings, and blown a head gasket

yours has had a block swap etc

im not saying 4a's dont have issues, but the ca's have their fair share[/b]

yea probably but if i had a adm 4ac sprinter i'd defs go the sr/ca before a 4ag... as for my block ... to be fair it was a 100,000km plus NA bottom end and all that was really fukd on it was the HG...

i'm confident with new rings bearings and metal gasket the current motor will be awsome.

and your definitly a spanker http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif ure 4ac more reliable than a ca.... ok push some more boost into it first.. then talk .\

at the end of they day i really couldnt care less (other than the spankers who put 1g's / 1js into sprinters)
about what engines in a car as long as its gettin the shit thrashed outta it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

RobertoX
14th July 2006, 03:27 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=243408)
[/b]

and your definitly a spanker http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif ure 4ac more reliable than a ca.... ok push some more boost into it first.. then talk .\

at the end of they day i really couldnt care less (other than the spankers who put 1g's / 1js into sprinters)
about what engines in a car as long as its gettin the shit thrashed outta it http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif
[/b]

it had 20psi going through it pining its ring(s) lol off

it was running 1.2 bar for quite a bit of the time before i wanted some more confidence in reliability so i turned it down to 7psi, but it will be back up to 10psi for the weekend

nissan dont recomend more than 8psi on ca pistons!

but yes, if it is getting thrashed, then fucking sweet!

RobertoX
17th July 2006, 02:29 PM
^^^ F or T he W reckers

yeah i can agree with CA being junk....

DRFT - 86
3rd August 2006, 06:30 PM
So who makes mounting kits for the SR....... someone has to make em by now theres been a few conversions ........... and also I was looking at a conversion been done and the fire wall was recieving some major massaging/cutting......... is this a must or was it just so the engine could be fitted lower/further back in the 86 bay.............

what type of figure am I looking at for all the custom mounts to be fabricated... (including modification of gearbox x member ect)

slide86
3rd August 2006, 10:10 PM
So who makes mounting kits for the SR....... someone has to make em by now theres been a few conversions ........... and also I was looking at a conversion been done and the fire wall was recieving some major massaging/cutting......... is this a must or was it just so the engine could be fitted lower/further back in the 86 bay.............

what type of figure am I looking at for all the custom mounts to be fabricated... (including modification of gearbox x member ect)[/b]
the mounts wont cost u alot
its just everything adds up
id say u would be lucky if u got it done for 8k and got any change.
including engine, tail shaft, diff, wiring, engine mounts & gearbox mount, exhaust, labour (firewall persuasion, new hole in floor for shifter)

.wolfwood
3rd August 2006, 10:37 PM
slyder told me that i could get it done at his work place thingy for about 7k drive in drive out.

SR20_AE86
3rd August 2006, 10:41 PM
yeah and then you got to obviously upgrade brakes and suspension, and then all the $$$ on rubber you shred haha. but yeah i rekon go for it if you have the money and can handle not driving your car for a while oh and if you dont want to drive a S13

SR20_AE86
3rd August 2006, 10:46 PM
slyder told me that i could get it done at his work place thingy for about 7k drive in drive out.[/b]

Work place thingy = Kaizen Garage (great place, strongly recommended)

DRFT - 86
4th August 2006, 12:13 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=250567)

what type of figure am I looking at for all the custom mounts to be fabricated... (including modification of gearbox x member ect)[/b]
the mounts wont cost u alot
its just everything adds up
id say u would be lucky if u got it done for 8k and got any change.
including engine, tail shaft, diff, wiring, engine mounts & gearbox mount, exhaust, labour (firewall persuasion, new hole in floor for shifter)
[/b]

well I had budgeted around 6-7k for the full build up of the GTE and this is the motor alone (it was gona be an animal), I believe I can get an SR in for 5-6k not including the diff/tailshaft/brake ugrade ect, I know all this will cost and Ive allowed for that aswell but Im just interested in the price I can get the SR bolted in the bay for with the gearbox in a and wired up......... drivetrain and brakes are on a different shopping list in regards to this....

DRFT - 86
4th August 2006, 12:14 PM
Kaizan is the place I will probably get it done at when the time comes........... where are they located........?

and I can handle not driving my car for a while, didnt drive all last year and now not driving for the next 6 months, which is the oppertunity I want to use to get all this done.......

.wolfwood
4th August 2006, 12:38 PM
cant remember there adress but fr me who lives on the gold coast there heeps far away, but i guess it would probably be worth it., when i get the money im gona get them to finish off my car.

DRFT - 86
4th August 2006, 12:48 PM
Are they in Brisbane or G Coast or somewhere in between....?

slide86
4th August 2006, 02:43 PM
brisbane
Kaizen Garage
Anthony : 0415 185 815

DRFT - 86
4th August 2006, 07:24 PM
Cheers D1....... dont have the need to call em just yet but in a few months I'll be picking up the phone....... providing I dont get the sack from my new job or anything lol.....

toyota
18th November 2006, 09:10 AM
is there someplace that i buy custom mounts to do this swap then guys,as i live in the UK,so going to a shop isn't the easist and cheapest option for me at all http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/crazy.gif

has anyone got something like a step by step picture thing,just so i can see it aswell?

I'm getting myself another AE86 shell,and basically i want to make the most of it,and the thought of an SR20 in a car that weighs less than a tonne just makes me go http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/greenbounce.gif ,i need something that can atleast stick with my dads R33 GTR,and fingers crossed,not only would this stick to it,it'd also be quicker than him!

4ac_mang
18th November 2006, 06:14 PM
Friend was quoted for sr20 about 5months ago... $10000... included engine, box, front mount intercooler, new 3 core radiator,brake upgrade (r33 4 spot + new discs), custom tail shaft, wiring, battery moved to the boot, engineers cert.
Totally street legal for NSW and she didnt have to do anything except drop the car off which suited her perfectly...
Cant remember the workshop...

Cheers
Daniel

juzzo84
3rd December 2006, 04:54 PM
PLEASE HELP RE SR20de conversion into my ae70

guys, im putting a sr20de into my ae70 and i was just wondering if there are any sump modifications required to make this conversion fit snug?
Im just going to cut the s13 mounts off the xmember and weld them on the corolla xmember, im planning to keep it quite low in the engine bay as i have read that that is the way to go for bonnet clearance and weight distribution. How close do i want the back of the cyclinder head to be to the firewall? also is there anything else i need to know??
thanks
justin

gottago
4th December 2006, 08:10 AM
sump has to be modified a fair bit but nothing a angle grinder and a die grinder cant fix http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

juzzo84
4th December 2006, 08:32 AM
then does it have to be welded into a new shape?

gottago
18th December 2006, 06:38 PM
my mate put a sr20det into his ke70... no sumps mods. its all about where u mount it. how far back and how high or low...
if u use the s13 mounts it might not mount low enough or far enough back, just weld on custom ones,

my mate got autosport to mount a sr20 in his hilux for $500. once mounts are sorted it aint hard from there one..

i just sold my project and im pretty up to the know with what has to be dun ( 300rwkw fj20 1600)

motor box loom combo's are $2500 or less
motor and box mounts $500
fuel lines pump and surge tank $500 ( not sure on the ke70 tank? will it work with the efi setup?)
my mate used the stock lines with no problems
t-18 diff ?? $500
450*300*76 cooler $200
bov $200
radiator n13 $250 with pipes to suit
craig davies thermo $150
exhaust $1000 stock dump pipe will fit easy
cooler pipes $100 max just exhaust pipes anyway easy as
re-wire is a DIY job or $150 and my mate will wire it up no problems
engineering $600-800
upgrade of suspension and brakes.
s13 front end conversion $1000-2000 depends on parts, ( we all looked at that thread with wats involved)
rear setup $500
s13 master and new lines $300 tops ( still yet to figure out the rears)
tailshaft $300 for mods

initial car cost in half descent condition with no paint jobs or narly rust $1000

total:
$10,950 taking all generous figures into account.
this doesnt not inlcude random shit i havnt added eg: havnt dun clutch or brake pads a service guages seats boost controllers etc...
its $$$ either way but my mate did it for under 7k. had just 7k in cash all he needed was rego and tailshafts so say 8k all up including everything, but this is bargain hunting...

anyone know where i can get mounts for sr20 into ke70 or ae86 ( same shit different smell )????
no1 has answered this question

juzzo84
19th December 2006, 10:26 AM
kaizen garage does ca18 mounts into ae/ke, maybe they do sr20 ones also

onjay
20th December 2006, 06:25 PM
one of my mates put silvertop sr in a ae71 then turboed it he gets around 189 kw at wheels its more than enought power to pull 3rd s or 4th s and he will fit one in ur car if u want send me email and i will get u into contact with him !!!

gottago
9th January 2007, 04:20 PM
one of my mates put silvertop sr in a ae71 then turboed it he gets around 189 kw at wheels its more than enought power to pull 3rd s or 4th s and he will fit one in ur car if u want send me email and i will get u into contact with him !!![/b]

he wouldnt be from the shire would he? white rolla?
i met a guy at gymea servo with a s14 sr20de + t28 got 180sumthing at the wheels lit up 1st 2nd 3rd fishy out of the servo.. went good http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif
id be interested in mounts and any parts he had to fab up

send me an email or give me his

nicbebbo@optusnet.com.au

cheers, nick

JinxD
22nd March 2007, 02:47 AM
im going the s14 sr20de way with rb20 box turboing it later as for engine mounts i herd a combo of cusco s14 mounts and stock mounts is good but i think il be makeing my own or getting atleast dimensions up and getting a bloke i know to weld em..

now what i realy need to know is...
i know sr20de puts out ruffle same torque as a gze the thing is im running a s series with belive it or not s series lsd but im wondering if this will servive for awile for drifting no burnouts/drag ???

when lsd gives in il proli save for turbo conversion bits (poor mans det but with bonus of na cams ) wich should be just over 1k including exaust but my major head ache atm is working out what diff to run f series seams expensive and rare 1k+?? t series seams ok at 200ish with drums but is there anything anyone else can think of that might also work and what are the pro's and cons ect. and most importantley price..

cheers fellas

Delazy
22nd March 2007, 03:17 AM
pics of said S Series LSD?

why not just buy the engine and gearbox mounts off kaizen garage and save urself the trouble??

diff wise if ur series about running a high comp Sr20de+t its goin to be abit of a torque monster...a t series isnt goin to survive behind it at all...look towards the G/F series diff...well worth the trouble although a tad bit on the heavy side

JinxD
22nd March 2007, 04:31 PM
kaisen garage doesnt do engine mounts for sr20 onley ca18

i carnt take pics of the lsd because its in my car
(ask around it was a rare factory option in japan)

as for the t series yeh it would onley last in na form g/f series if anyone could give me more information as to how much and what lsd is worth for them? OR any other diffs that might be suitable

Anthony
27th August 2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah the SR is too heavy a job to offer in kit form. The optimum engine placement involves love taps to the tunnel area at the top of the bell housing.

S series LSD sounds very rare!

My coupe had a kouki t series behind an SR20DET with hks twinplate and it was in perfect condition. had been there a while. It comes down to so many factors.

86xxx
10th October 2007, 10:39 AM
Hey guys,

Whilst browsing the Ebay i found these mounts, simply bolt them onto your sr20 and it bolts into your AE86, KE70 or whatever.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corolla-AE8...sspagenameZWDVW (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corolla-AE86-AE71-ka24de-sr20det-swap-mounts-brackets_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ50454QQihZ001Q QitemZ110177775166QQrdZ1QQsspaenameZWDVW)

Check it out, also says they got CA18 mounts coming soon too...

Dom86
15th November 2007, 01:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DRiiFT_King @ Apr 12 2005, 07:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=149528)</div>
are there any hidden catches to this cheap power or is it all straight forward if you spend the time?
has any one here done?
how much have you spent on engine mounts, and were have you got this done?[/b]

Ben from KYP in perth has done both ca and sr conversions. he has ca/sr engine mounts in stock.
08 9470 3828 .... www.kyp.com.au

unless you have billions of $$$$ to spend on building and maintaining a 4age, nissan engines are the cheapest and most reiable power upgrade engines.
think of a full built 4age as a supermodel,great to drive and stunning in every way, but high maintanence and unreliable. sr's are the girl next door, just as fun with less whinging and ready to go when you are.
supermodels just arnt practical if you cant afford them :P

*EDIT* my appolagies, KYP only has ca engine mount. they have however done both conversions.

SNAP
7th December 2007, 07:29 PM
what size fuel lines send and return would be recommended for an sr conversion?

steroidchickens
7th December 2007, 08:28 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dom86 @ Nov 15 2007, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=437404)</div>
think of a full built 4age as a supermodel,great to drive and stunning in every way, but high maintanence and unreliable. sr's are the girl next door, just as fun with less whinging and ready to go when you are.
supermodels just arnt practical if you cant afford them :P[/b]

haha, gold!!

Ellimist
9th December 2007, 09:17 PM
i don't know if this applys to the AE86 as well but i just put an SR20 into an AE71 and use mk2 escort engine mounts to do it. there is a hole on the mounting bracket on the crossmember that can be used to mount the engine with this way no modification is needed to the mounts and its cheap as compared to custom mounts. part # if you go to repco is MT8152N.

Matt-AE86
11th December 2007, 01:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ellimist @ Dec 9 2007, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=449374)</div>
i don't know if this applys to the AE86 as well but i just put an SR20 into an AE71 and use mk2 escort engine mounts to do it. there is a hole on the mounting bracket on the crossmember that can be used to mount the engine with this way no modification is needed to the mounts and its cheap as compared to custom mounts. part # if you go to repco is MT8152N.[/b]

Does this give it a good position though ? Does it bring hte motor as low as possible or does it still have ample of room left over? Did you have to massage the tunnel or leave it as is?

The reason I ask is, it might just bolt in like this fine but it might not be the best fitment do to height and positioning of hte motor. I want to get mine as low and far back as I can without cutting the firewall..

japlish
11th December 2007, 02:06 PM
unless you start chopping things up there isn't much space to play around with between the steering rack and the top of the trans tunnel........

Ellimist
11th December 2007, 09:11 PM
yes the rack still fits. just. but i prolly didn't have to bash the tunnel as much as i did. it sits prtty much perfect with the bottom of the sump being just above the bottom of the crossmember. i'll upload some pics on the weekend to show positioning. i know of only 1 other person whos done this and it works out fine. i didn't cut anything out of the firewall either. just bashed it flat. i'll move the motor forward on the weekend and take pics of the firewall 2.

Matt-AE86
12th December 2007, 12:00 AM
I wanted it so the small metal sump was only JUST in front the cross member and the join was just under. I sat my sr20 on top of a spare cross member I have and doing it like this looked like i would have to move the mounts closer to the firewall and lower on a more angle. I might try your fitment though and see how it goes or how i feel about its positioning cause it would save a lot of time and heart ache.

Pictures would be GREAT !

Ellimist
12th December 2007, 12:08 AM
yeah nw. as i said i'll put em up on weekend. the whole conversion has been alot easier than people have said it would be. so far haven't really had any trouble. its mostly bolting all the stuff on the motor now. i don't really have time during the week to work on the car unfortunately.

Ellimist
23rd December 2007, 08:14 PM
well heres the pics. bit later than i said but been busy because of Christmas.

i still have to bolt the rack back down but you get the idea. the clearance is very little but once lined up with the diff there will be more.

i can answer questions but it might take a while as christmas is busy.

IB6UB9
4th February 2008, 01:32 AM
Anyone else got pics of their SR setups?
I have spoken to a few people about their conversions and some have used spacers between the crossmemeber and chassis. I would prefer to avoid this as this would shift the roll center on the front end.

syco86
17th February 2008, 03:49 PM
I have a sprinter with an sr20 in it ... its tight fit but it goes .. my brother has a turboed 4agze in his ... i have to say they are both good but there sr has more grunt ...

i can't imagine that it is in easy mod to put an sr inot a sprinter but not harder than any other motor into a car its not meant for.

Big horse power from turbo cars is alot easy and cheaper than NA motors .....

just my two cents

Roku_70
8th March 2008, 07:01 PM
yeah i am doing a redtop det conversion in the next coming weeks. i was thinking rb25det for something unusual but people have driven me away from it. conversion looks pretty simple and shouldnt be too much of a squeeze - all measured up - good luck and go for it! cheers, jamie

RussianMafia000
9th April 2008, 07:58 PM
Heres some pics of mine, old mounts grinded off and new mounts plated up. I had a mate do this for me but I'm pretty sure they are new Sigma engine mounts.
Hope this help :)

Ellimist
9th April 2008, 09:18 PM
I think its easy to put the motor into a sprinter/corolla but you have to have patients and love for solving problems and doing research. i'm doing the fuel stuff in my corolla atm and its all planned and i got all the parts to do it but it took planning to work out how to set it up for what i'm doing with it. its not a hard mod to do just time consuming.

dustyae86
10th April 2008, 08:44 AM
their good pics goody, thanks for that

wideslider
11th April 2008, 05:14 PM
SOMEONE BUY MY SR CONVERSION!!!!!!!!!

dustyae86
11th April 2008, 05:34 PM
I would but the main reason I am going SR is so I get back the driveability etc... of a stock computer :P

ke kid
16th April 2008, 10:58 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wideslider @ Apr 11 2008, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=516515)</div>
SOMEONE BUY MY SR CONVERSION!!!!!!!!![/b]
how much and where?

DR86FT
19th April 2008, 04:18 AM
I'm getting custom engine mounts and gearbox done mid next month $1200... for sr20det anyways what you do about centre console interior when the hole is further back and the wont the handbrake hit or be close

dustyae86
19th April 2008, 06:59 PM
RB20 box supposedly, then it comes out in the right spot

DR86FT
20th April 2008, 03:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dustyae86 @ Apr 19 2008, 05:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=520189)</div>
RB20 box supposedly, then it comes out in the right spot[/b]

I have an sr20det box already and whats stronger ? I'm getting the mounts done fairly soon :blink:

Benno
20th April 2008, 03:25 AM
if you throw an SR front case onto a RB20 gearbox, the shifter will come through the original hole.
RB's have double syncros in the first 3 forward gears, but they're no stronger than a SR or CA gearbox

RussianMafia000
5th May 2008, 07:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dustyae86 @ Apr 10 2008, 07:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=515858)</div>
their good pics goody, thanks for that[/b]

Happy to help :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DR86FT @ Apr 19 2008, 03:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=520029)</div>
I'm getting custom engine mounts and gearbox done mid next month $1200... for sr20det anyways what you do about centre console interior when the hole is further back and the wont the handbrake hit or be close[/b]

I'm using a sr20 box and it does come back a fair way, I have reversed the shifter to give it a bit more space and in 4th gear it comes close but isn't hitting the handbrake if that helps :)

DR86FT
14th May 2008, 01:23 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-=GOODY=- @ May 5 2008, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=526892)</div>
Happy to help :)

I'm using a sr20 box and it does come back a fair way, I have reversed the shifter to give it a bit more space and in 4th gear it comes close but isn't hitting the handbrake if that helps :)[/b]

any pics?

RussianMafia000
14th May 2008, 04:16 PM
I'm pretty sure this is before I turned the gearstick around so it will have a bit more clearance. I've got no issues with driving it how it is now :)

Benno
14th May 2008, 11:06 PM
yeah, i flipped my shifter around too, clears gearstick fine. what did you do about floor bracing after cutting the centre rib out(just trying to get afew ideas myself)

RussianMafia000
15th May 2008, 08:30 PM
In the first pic you can see the metal plate that was shaped and welded over aswell as the shifter hole which was cut out. The thicker the plate the better just to give you some strength back where the hole was cut:)

Nic19
16th May 2008, 05:01 PM
are you guys just using stock sterring racks? I'm thinking of bolting an s13 steeringrack in cos i have used an s13 x-member. also what diff are people running?

DRFTR86
17th May 2008, 02:54 AM
yes need to know aswell on diffs, ive heard of people using t series, even an s series rear end behind a ca, I'm going ca soon and was thinking of a G series in the back with equal length arms.

RussianMafia000
18th May 2008, 09:26 PM
I'm using the standard steering rack, also using a Hilux 8" diff which I think is more than enough to handle the power. I did have some bad axle tramp issues to start with, but after making my trailing arms adjustable and playing around a bit I've got rid of that.

Nic19
21st May 2008, 10:13 PM
I'm thinking of running a full width r31 diff cos then i can run FWD offset wheels at the track. just going to weld the stock mounts onto it. has everyone had to bash out the trans tunnel?

jdm10v
22nd May 2008, 02:55 AM
Here are some pics from my swap...

Earlier:
http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8426.JPG
Oil Return Line Clearance

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8428.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8429.JPG
Down Pipe Bitches.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8430.JPG
Some More Down Pipe.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8431.JPG
Tight to the body.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8432.JPG
Yum.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8433.JPG
Tight fit. A finger gap for frame rail, and steering column. 2.5" as 3 " was just not comfy.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8434.JPG
Another shot of it. PS we are not JSP quality welders. :)

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8435.JPG
Engine Mount.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8436.JPG
Engine Mount again.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8437.JPG
Mount and turbo clearance.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8438.JPG
Top View of Downpipe.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8440.JPG
again

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8441.JPG
overall.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8443.JPG
more

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8444.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8446.JPG
Other engine mount.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8447.JPG
downpipe.

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8448.JPG
Again.

Later:

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8458.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8463.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8462.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DCP_8459.JPG

We set the intercooler up so that it gets the air from the bottom vent on the bumper, and then sort of v mount style allows a lot of air through the rad.

The throttle cable is a linear bmx brake cable (Shadow Conspiracy) with a knarp (bmx cable part) to add the end. The knarp is on the throttle body side, so the cable can be pulled tight, and adjusted without being under the dash. This method fixes the problem most people with alternative swaps have, the throttle cable is miles to long.

-Trent

jdm10v
22nd May 2008, 03:12 AM
Here are some of the parts I am using...

S14 SR20DET
ACT 6 puck unsprung clutch
Blitz blow off
custom intercooler piping
1981 Supra rear end, with T3 5 link
Custom 1 piece driveshaft
Custom engine/ tranny mounts
Walbro 255 for a Twin Turbo MK4 Supra (drops right in)

and more shit...

The car is a track car, I used to have a blacktop 20v, and felt that more torque was needed to progress, so swapped in the SR. :) I have had a few months of pain, as the first ECU I had was not any good, then the MAF was bad, tried a Z32 maf, required a lot of tuning with the SAFC, so I as of last night, got another STOCK S14 SRR maf. I am happy that it runs smooth now. Tonight is going to be the first REAL day of testing and tuning. I have a drift event on the 6th that I have to get it ready for.

FYI I am not a mechanic, I am a graphic designer, and did this all in a single car garage, in my townhouse. With the help of a few friends and my brain power, all is well. It just goes to show you that you DO NOT need to pay to put something cool into your ride, just takes a mechanical ability and time. This swap was started Jan 2008, the last pics posted are from April 2008. With a bigger budget (cashflow) I could have been done in Feb. The past weeks since the last pics has been my ECU and tuning issues.

Feel free to ask for pics or questions on any part of the swap.

-Trent

dustyae86
22nd May 2008, 09:05 AM
how was it with wiring up the s14 motor? from a driveability point of view the S14 motor would be a better option with higher comp etc, but how wa sit wrigin it in? have heard that supposedly the s14 motor's loom is spliced into the body loom too

jdm10v
22nd May 2008, 10:24 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dustyae86 @ May 21 2008, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=534943)</div>
how was it with wiring up the s14 motor? from a driveability point of view the S14 motor would be a better option with higher comp etc, but how wa sit wrigin it in? have heard that supposedly the s14 motor's loom is spliced into the body loom too[/b]

For wiring, it was not as hard as I thought. I have a wiring guide made up. All factory relays, ECU, Fuel Pump, are used, I am NOT using the stock tach, or other sensors, so I don't know how to hook those up.

Let me know if you want the guide, and I will post it.

-Trent

dustyae86
22nd May 2008, 10:37 AM
ahhh, i'm planning on using the stock tacho as well, so not sure if that will make much difference to it all

jdm10v
23rd May 2008, 03:54 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dustyae86 @ May 21 2008, 03:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=534971)</div>
ahhh, i'm planning on using the stock tacho as well, so not sure if that will make much difference to it all[/b]

Well the SR20 puts out a low voltage tach signal, so you need to have a low voltage tach, or some sort of voltage adjustment to make it correct for the toyota. I am not sure if it will work stock. I can test it.

I did have some issues, and have now solved them. The car was running really rich on the new MAF. My wideband was reading 11:1 at idle. We did a fuel pressure test, and the fuel pressure at idle was 45psi !!!! damn. It is supposed to be 34psi. So now I have to add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Fun and games as usual.

-Trent

dustyae86
23rd May 2008, 08:58 AM
oh yhe, some people have said to use a diode or seomthing inline, maybe that would work a bit better

joshz18
25th May 2008, 01:21 PM
With my old sr20de ae71 the mounts were just cut in half both sr and ae mounts then engine placed in and mounts welded back together.
[attachment=26140:Picture_007.jpg]
[attachment=26142:engine_mounts_004.jpg]

an extremely crude way of doing it, I bought the car as it was. gearbox crossmember was standard and had some shims to lower the crossmember, using original rubber sr20 mount and then new holes drilled into the crossmember to suit the sr20 mount pattern, As i said was a crude way of doing it but it the engine never fell out lol

jdm10v
27th May 2008, 02:24 AM
Update on mine, I took it for a drive after adding a FPR and brake bias for the Supra rear end. She is fast, but still a little weird. Up around 5500rpm the car stopped pulling. Maybe its too rich up top. Overall I am happy on the progress. This week its exhaust time and welding the diff.

-Trent

McDrlft
29th May 2008, 01:18 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-=GOODY=- @ Apr 9 2008, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=515627)</div>
Heres some pics of mine, old mounts grinded off and new mounts plated up. I had a mate do this for me but I'm pretty sure they are new Sigma engine mounts.
Hope this help :)[/b]

Hey dude when your mate did it , did you take the whole cross member out? , because i was thinking i can take it out and put the sr in the air on an engine crane and line it up with the cross member and make anything custom to suit?

jdm10v
29th May 2008, 09:00 AM
http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DSCF0127.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DSCF0126.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DSCF0125.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DSCF0124.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DSCF0123.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DSCF0122.JPG

http://www.digitalgumball.com/ae86/sr86/DSCF0121.JPG

All as of today at work.

-Trent

dustyae86
29th May 2008, 02:48 PM
very neat, but was it necessary to cut the radiator support?

jdm10v
31st May 2008, 05:28 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dustyae86 @ May 28 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=538329)</div>
very neat, but was it necessary to cut the radiator support?[/b]

I had to cut it do the the million times I pulled the engine to get the fitment just right. It made the process A LOT faster. I have an aluminum piece I will have polished to make it all better. :)

-Trent

DR86FT
6th June 2008, 01:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nic19 @ May 16 2008, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=531975)</div>
are you guys just using stock sterring racks? I'm thinking of bolting an s13 steeringrack in cos i have used an s13 x-member. also what diff are people running?[/b]

i'll be using mx13 f series diff. have one forsale too