PDA

View Full Version : Effects of smaller steering wheel?

DRFT - 86
1st May 2005, 08:02 PM
Ok I have just installed a smaller steering wheel in my sprinter, but I cant drive it for some time yet as its off the road.

its 330mm in diameter, and feels quite different to the previous bus wheel that once rested there. (and 10x as sexy)

has anyone else put a smaller steering wheel in their 86,

if so, what was it like when driving ect.

DRFT - 86
1st May 2005, 08:04 PM
oh yeh, I have plans for a quick steering rack sometime down the track as well.

slide86
1st May 2005, 08:07 PM
yeah im using a 330mm (i think) nardi wheel
havent driven it with it, been waiting for a seat rail for some time now lol

Shiri
1st May 2005, 08:58 PM
i have the smallest avaliable momo race... very heavy... with the quafie it was intolorable at slow speed... reverse parking became a fitness first work out... got rid of it and am rather content with just the momo race and PS arms

DRFT - 86
1st May 2005, 09:15 PM
(ShiRi)

how small is that momo race wheel?

-did the quaife kit make it worse, I thought that it would make it easier with a smaller wheel...

-with the PS arms, I thought this mod worked the opposite way round, ie: non power steering arms on a power steering model? (must read that article again)
how much of a difference do they make?

sorry for all the questions...

just want to work out the best set up for steering.

I noticed it being heavier when turning on the spot and it takes more turn to reach lock, didnt know how it would feel when driving though.

cheers

DRFT - 86
1st May 2005, 09:47 PM
Just read the article about the PS knuckles, I think I worked it out now, as you said, so the PS knuckles are used on non PS models to improve steering response..... I got a bit lost with the explanation in that article.

how hard are the PS knuckles to find and where would I find them most likely..?

Shiri
1st May 2005, 09:49 PM
i think the wheel is 320mm ill measure later..

the quafie made it much worse... it was terriable for daily driving and it took forever to acctually get used too. once i got going and used it for a little while i got a bit more used to it it was okay for driving on normal roads with no traffic... i imagine its perfect for a circut... but when i took it to mountains my arms wern't strong enough to get decent locks to locks on quick reflex corners. I gave up on it cause my car is a daily and sold it off pretty quickly to a guy building a circut car.

PS steering arms = more lock, not as heavy as a quafie rack but still heavier than standard

DRFT - 86
1st May 2005, 09:54 PM
ok cool, thnx for the info

monkeymajik
2nd May 2005, 02:16 AM
I think the nardi wheels are a good compromise for street.

Not stupidly small, but not busdriverTM. The PS knuckles give you more lock, not less turns lock to lock

funkymonkey
2nd May 2005, 06:31 AM
smaller wheel - power steering = more turns lock to lock

I use a 350mm wheel with "extenders" as I call em (similar to the things this company sells http://www.battleversion.com/ae86_steering_spacers.htm) (http://www.battleversion.com/ae86_steering_spacers.htm). Makes the steering a lil lighter and gives you better angle, which kinda helps on the track, but I dunno if it'll be any good on the street.

DRFT - 86
2nd May 2005, 12:18 PM
>Funkymonkey.

I just sussed those spacers out, they look like the goods,
You say you are running a similar kit or so.
How much did it cost you and where did you get it from or did you make them yourself ?

RobertoX
2nd May 2005, 10:48 PM
lock rocks, especially in a short wheel base car like the ae86

DRiiFT_King
2nd May 2005, 10:53 PM
my saas wheel is like 30 0r 32cm, it seems all right for every day use, but i havnt realy driven with enough to get a real feel for it

mikes86
3rd May 2005, 08:48 AM
i have the toyota twincam 16 steering wheel with power steering arms, and its great not to heavy and easy enough 4 daily driving

DRFT - 86
3rd May 2005, 02:50 PM
yeh thats the wheel I had, (twincam 16) it was a bit large for my liking, even though there is only 20mm difference (I think) between that and the new one Ive got, the new one feels way small.... just a matter of getting used to I guess....

driftae86
8th May 2005, 03:14 AM
its all about what you are used to i think and what feels best.

i dont think it would effect your steering that much unless you have a stupidly small ricer wheel.

in my opinion....nardi is the shit http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

funkymonkey
8th May 2005, 09:34 AM
yeah I took a bit of adjusting to get used to goin from power steering factory sports steering wheel with HICAS n all wheel steering in my R32 to shitty non powersteering solid rear axle granny steering wheel in the 86.

The spacer's ive got was machined up by Hopper's Stoppers as a custom one off. The one from the states might be cheaper as I paid more even with shipping accounted for, but HS do brake and axle development for the V8 supercar teams so I'd rather trust em with my setups.

DRFT - 86
8th May 2005, 09:11 PM
thanx mate...