PDA

View Full Version : Ripping out 4ac

garage_kook01
9th May 2005, 09:40 PM
Ok today Garage_kook and i started unbolting my 4ac and gearbox

So far we have just unbolted the tailshaft, gearbox mount and Exhaust.
Where do i go from here???
Do i do all the wires now or it just what i feel like doing at the time or???

If nobody will tell me i will just keep going along unbolting what i think needs to be and so on

Daniel-AE86
9th May 2005, 09:54 PM
Make sure that the engine doesn't sit on the steering rack.

Medicine_Man
9th May 2005, 10:01 PM
I usually start by ripping out the radiator and any piping, then disconnect the wiring, then the stuff like accelerator cable, air con unit if you have it, then get under the car and undo the tailshaft, speedo cable, slave cylinder, exhaust etc etc..

garage_kook01
9th May 2005, 10:07 PM
yeah im going to rip the radiator out 2moro and do the wireing if i get time.

any things i need to be careful of other than what daniel said?

upgarage
9th May 2005, 10:35 PM
make sure everything disconnected,
make sure crane is on flat ground and firm

make sure engine is attached firmly
try not to damage rad support
use common sense

dont rush

mumblezzz
10th May 2005, 12:51 AM
Dont forget the gearstick and ground cable from the engine.

Medicine_Man
10th May 2005, 02:27 PM
and make sure to tape up the rear end of your gearbox so you don't leak oil everywhere..

drft86
10th May 2005, 08:32 PM
cover the guards or take them off so they do not get dented scratched or damaged when working on/or around motor.

garage_kook01
10th May 2005, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Medicine_Man@May 14 2005, 07:27 AM
and make sure to tape up the rear end of your gearbox so you don't leak oil everywhere..
already worked that 1 out lol jusat a little late though http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

Yeah i think i will just take the gaurds off then their is no risk

Medicine_Man
10th May 2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by garage_kook01+May 10 2005, 08:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Medicine_Man@May 14 2005, 07:27 AM
already worked that 1 out lol jusat a little late though http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

Yeah i think i will just take the gaurds off then their is no risk [/b]
LOL!! gearbox/diff oil smells like a yetti's arsehole, fuck I hate it..

garage_kook01
10th May 2005, 10:00 PM
i reckon. my mate had it all over him lol

How many wires should i have to undo roughly??? coz i have done about a dozen and i cant seem to find many more

Garage_KooK
10th May 2005, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Medicine_Man@May 14 2005, 07:27 AM
wish i new that before it leaked all over my head now my hair smells like motor oil its been giving me the shits all day.

Shiri
11th May 2005, 07:39 PM
if your putting in a 4age, don't touch much of ur wiring cause u can reuse it

get tailshaft off, very easy... about 8 bolst holding it onto the chassis and diff... get gearbox off... hard, u need a long wrench cause theres one bolt that is hard to reach... remove shifter from car, remove every bolt u can find and take out... becarefull cause its heavy and u dun want it to drop on ur head. remove exhuast mani, can be a problem cause it may be rusted, work hard and its pretty basic to unhook, or u can just unhook the piping if u want it easier. unhook radiator, drain all the fluid u can, remove rad, remove fan, remove alternator, remove starter motor, remove carby for easier access, disconnect any looms connected to the 4ac but don't pull out ur entire loom cause as i said before u may be able to use that loom. losen engine mounts, tie chan and pully out!

its easy to work out once u can see what ur looking at...

gl, mine took me 3 months haha

shiri

garage_kook01
11th May 2005, 07:47 PM
well i was just going to take engine and gearbox out at once i was told you can do this???

thanks for your help everyone so far http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Shiri
11th May 2005, 08:05 PM
yeh suer u can, i just did it cause i had a friend and the time and we knocked it off the list of things to remove

shiri

garage_kook01
11th May 2005, 08:15 PM
ok kool you had me worried lol http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

i've disconnected nearly all the wireing just got the clutch and speedo cable and thats it. prob lift it out friday afternoon.

someone said something about rolling the car back as you take it out(coz of the gearbox) is this true??

samuel
12th May 2005, 12:20 AM
Taking the engine and the gearbox out at once can be done, but you have to be able to angle the engine a fair bit to take it out and clear the radiator etc

Sometimes it can be just as easy to disconnect the engine from the box and pull the engine out first, then jack the car up to get the box out. The boxes aren't all that heavy anyway http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

garage_kook01
12th May 2005, 09:26 PM
well i have 2 helper's 2moro so we will just try to lift it all out at once and hope for the best lol

if not we are in shit.

How high will we have to lift the engine????

Medicine_Man
12th May 2005, 10:42 PM
high enough to get it over the front radiator support..

mikes86
12th May 2005, 10:47 PM
or you could do what i do when i work on my engine. dismantle the whole front end giving you direct access to the engine, remove everything possible. Just makes it a little easier for me

garage_kook01
12th May 2005, 11:06 PM
i've pulled out all the radiator and so on.

i gather you mean the radiator support and lights and so on???

mikes86
12th May 2005, 11:12 PM
every thing possible.

garage_kook01
12th May 2005, 11:17 PM
is it totally needed or not i mean if its got to be done i will but if not i wont.

we are pulling the engine out at like 3.30 so i will have about an hour to remove anything else

JohnO
13th May 2005, 12:35 AM
errr... lights can stay in, once you have the radiator out forget about the front end

i take it you have the gearbox, tailshaft out, and exhaust off.. so pretty much just remove all the wiring and cables attached to the motor, undo the engine mounts and whip it out

try to disconnect all the wiring from as close to the motor as possible using the correct method ie. clips, plugs, yada yada

really its no drama, good luck

garage_kook01
13th May 2005, 07:50 PM
lifted the it out this arv had no probs at all.

we took engine and box out at the same time

this was really just to easy

thanks 2 all that replied here