PDA

View Full Version : Brighter Bulbs

sic86
3rd June 2005, 09:23 PM
My cars lights are very dull (new bulbs) and I don't want to put spotties etc. on. The bulbs are H4 60/50W (blue), could I damge anything at all if I put in 100/90W (blue)?

Cheers

Monster
20th July 2005, 09:15 PM
I'm using 100/90w in mine (The Phillips type) they dont hust, the only thing you have to watch is leaving the lights on when stationary, they tend to heat up the glass very quick (I'm sure there's a warning somewhere on my box which says only to use the high beam when car is in motion)

screech
20th July 2005, 10:58 PM
i would like to add a warning to this. you are nearly doubling the power ouput, to do this you must double an input to maintain this light output power.

as an auto sparky

Power = Voltage x Current
60W = 14v x ?
?= 4.2 amps on hi beam

100W = 14 x ??

??=7.2 amps on hi beam

factory cable from toyota is not quite 3mm dia so it would roughly be rated at around 6-7 amps continous operation. this combined with old wiring and switches can cause cable to heat up and burn. i suspect you have a voltage drop somewhere on you wiring, (bad earth, dirty switch conacts in relays etc)

i suggest cleaning up the cabling earth points, including the battery earth lead and the earth leads going to the headlights relays (86s have neg switched headlights), and maybe change the relays for new ones.

my lights are 55/60s and are more than adequate.
hope this helps you out

sic86
21st July 2005, 08:45 AM
Yeah, the Phillips Bulbs rep was in town the other day and I was talking to him about it and he said not to. A. It's illegal B. Shorter Bulb Life. C. To much heat D. Can blow relay's etc.
He said just get a whitter bulb, which I have but still haven't put in but I changed the parkers (as the whitter bulbs came as a set) and I already know the difference with the parkers.

Cheers