PDA

View Full Version : Indentification of JDM/ADM

emilmh
5th June 2005, 09:22 AM
hey guys,
sorry for the ''newbie" questions but there a certain sprinter i might have a look at which led me to the question, how do i identify if parts are JDM or AUD so i dont get ripped off!

the main ones are;

the diff, t-series and s-series as i understand. is it just the diff or is it the whole axle that is swapped? along similar lines are the rear disc brakes? but these were only available on the JDM?

gearbox? the was a ADM spec t50 and JDM t50? how do i know the difference? also is there close ratio version of the t50? how would i tell (other than directly comparing ratios while driving) if its one of these?

engines? ok so i think i will be able to tell a 4ac http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif (its got a carb ect) so a 4age has that written on the cam gear covers, but i have heard of blue top, red top, big port, small port? then theres the 20v's silver top, black top i htink i should be right with 20v's as for starters theres not many and i can distinguish from a 16v and 20v. I think i should be able to tell a gze as it has a s/c attached.
whats the go and how do i know what im looking at?
(in regards to all the engine types maybe one of you guys could knock up a quick article and get it pinned covering the basics of each engine? it wouldbe helpful for many people http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif )

thanks for your help!

mikes86
5th June 2005, 09:29 AM
jdm have a few exterior things different.
- tail lights do not say sprinter on them unless they are an early model trueno
-rear bumper do not have number plate lights the jdm cars have them on the sides of the number plates
-disc axel, has all wheel disc brakes instead of front disc and rear drums
-jdm t50 has different bell housing

sic86
5th June 2005, 09:52 AM
Wouldn't all the plates in the engine bay be written in Jap as well????

Cheers

emilmh
5th June 2005, 11:19 AM
i was more refering to an ADM that has parts converted, and so i need to know how to identify individual parts rather than just a whole JDM/ADM car

Medicine_Man
5th June 2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by mikes86@Jun 5 2005, 08:29 AM
JDM T50 gearbox bellhousing has the clutch fork on the drivers side of the gearbox.

ADM T50 gearbox bellhousing has the clutch fork on the passenger side of the gearbox.

DRiiFT_King
5th June 2005, 04:28 PM
* In Japan, the Levin model featured fixed headlights, and the Trueno models featured the retracting headlight system. Other features not offered in the foreign markets were automatic climate control, rear hatch wiper, power windows, digital instrumentation, and side skirts of the GT-Apex. Most AE86/AE85 were shipped as 2 tone exterior paint scheme. "U" in the engine designation is "universal" meaning standard emissions as equipped in Japan.

** In the USA only the retractable lighting was offered. Very limited late-models were equipped with power windows. US spec SR5 though designated AE86, were equipped with standard AE85 rear axles and drum brakes as well as interior trim. 4A-GEC is a specific USA California Emissions Certified versions. 4A-C is a SOHC 1.6 liter engine certified for USA emissions, and is similar to the 1.5L SOHC unit in Japanese AE85 models.

***In Europe and Australia, the fixed lighting was the only choice, and spoilers and color keyed bumpers were deleted for the standard Japanese AE85 grade parts.

DRiiFT_King
5th June 2005, 04:38 PM
http://img109.echo.cx/img109/2544/86shit9du.png (http://www.imageshack.us)

emilmh
5th June 2005, 06:32 PM
lol i must ahve really explained myself wrong! im not after jap option ect
what im after is how to tell the individual parts! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

for example:

i might be checking out a hachi that is aus spec but has had a 4age with t50"jap spec" gearbox, how do i tewll that its a "jap spec" gearbox and not an aus t50?
and similarly if i look under the car how cn i tell if it has a t series diff/axle?

seek
5th June 2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Medicine_Man+Jun 5 2005, 11:54 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-mikes86@Jun 5 2005, 08:29 AM
JDM T50 gearbox bellhousing has the clutch fork on the drivers side of the gearbox.

ADM T50 gearbox bellhousing has the clutch fork on the passenger side of the gearbox. [/b]
That is how you tell champ. The slave cylinder on the JDM box is on the drivers side of the gearbox, and the ADM has it on the left hand side.

T series diff if out of JDM ae86 will have disc brakes on the ass of it, depending what model AE86 and year, will have either small axles or thicker axles.

Jusdrifn 86
5th June 2005, 06:49 PM
the jdm ones had vented front discs and solid rear disc brakes
and adm ones had solid front discs and drum rears standard

*just about the brakes*

Shiri
5th June 2005, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by emilmh@Jun 4 2005, 07:32 PM
lol i must ahve really explained myself wrong! im not after jap option ect
what im after is how to tell the individual parts! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

for example:

i might be checking out a hachi that is aus spec but has had a 4age with t50"jap spec" gearbox, how do i tewll that its a "jap spec" gearbox and not an aus t50?
and similarly if i look under the car how cn i tell if it has a t series diff/axle?
who cares, the gearboxes are essentially the same

t series is bigger than an s-series

problem solved

crazy86
5th June 2005, 08:22 PM
1 The ADM rear end has 8 bolts around the diff housing, the JDM or other t series rear ends have 10 bolts around the diff housing.

2 Gearbox... See above...^^^^^

3 Early 88kw engine has 5 ribs on the block, and AFM sensor at the throttle body, and Big Port manifold
Engine Early JDM AE86 engine (96kw) has 5 ribs on the block, and MAP sensor on the firewall, with pressure line running to half way down the Big Port manifold.
Later 16v had 7 ribs on the block, with small port manifold. I think TVIS was dropped some time in this series? and made 100 kw. Not sure on the other variations of this generation, but they were stronger internally, and had oil squirters to keep things healthy under higher loads.

Then came the silvertop 20v, followed by the Black top 20v.

Another thing to look for, is if your car came witha FWD manifold, it will have been "cut n shut" to move the throttle body to the front of the engine. this is most common. A proper RWD manifold will be much neater, and a little rarer, so a car with a real JDM 86 engine will have this, but it is a FWD manifold, it doesnt mean its not JDM.

Confused yet?

slide86
8th June 2005, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Jusdrifn 86@Jun 5 2005, 05:49 PM
the jdm ones had vented front discs and solid rear disc brakes
and adm ones had solid front discs and drum rears standard

*just about the brakes*
i think we are all getting abit forgetfull http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif
JDM GT AE86 came with drums aswell