PDA

View Full Version : need advice for exhaust system

Hyuga
5th June 2005, 10:49 PM
I'm going to get a catback exhaust but not sure what to get. To me, exhaust is for good looking but never want it to be too loud, and brand is nth to me. wonder what kind of exhaust system do you guy use? where to buy and how much you spent on it.

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
6th June 2005, 12:17 AM
Just get a custom one made from either 2.25" or 2.5" piping. Stainless would be better but not necessary. As for being quite, hmm... i tried real hard to keep mine quite with 1 resonator and 2 straight through mufflers but didn't really work... its still loud as.... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/7/5/4/536981.jpg

crazy86
6th June 2005, 11:22 AM
^^^ hard to be quiet with straight thru mufflers.

mr2drift
6th June 2005, 11:30 AM
the pink car uses a set of kellam extractors( soon to go) and 2/1/4 inch mandrel with an ovan comm muffler ( runs diagnolly straight thru ) under the floor and a cannon on the back, under the diff. is WAY to quiet.... whole thing is on the outter for a freer flowing straight thru setup for more top end revs!

slide86
6th June 2005, 11:35 AM
Hyuga what engine are you running?

my car uses a set of trd copie extractors, 2.25" straight through exhaust with a hotdog. under the diff with no mufflers. isnt to loud but for a street car id do something similar with a cannon or something

Hyuga
6th June 2005, 11:51 AM
well, my car was 4ac and now droping a 20v in it. so I will need a new exhaust. And I have already got an extractor off option1 so the rest would be the catback. So how much do you guys get your catback exhaust for? because I have used too much money in my engine conversion, I wanna save some money for the brakes suspension and the rims so I'm thinking wats the cheapest way I can get my catback now. custom made or go look for a second hand one around the jap import wreckers. For my liking, I'd prefer a canon at the back and straight thru from the cat, mild steel stainless steel doesn't really matter, I guess no gonna see it.

slide86
6th June 2005, 11:59 AM
u will need a whole system if u got a 20v and a set of extractors
ur 4ac exhaust wont line up with ur new engine.

i got mine done at performance pipes, acia ridge (brisbane)
full 2.25" system, using my old cat (was still good) and a hotdog.
under the diff with a flange just b4 the diff so when i got to take out my diff i can drop the exhaust out of the way. and it has a 3" drift style pipe on the end.
all that cost me $300
so with a nice big shiny cannon im guessing another $150-$200

sic86
6th June 2005, 08:06 PM
You may as well get a new front section (after the extractor aswell). Is your cat still is good nick? A cat you are looking at about $200 (for a good one) and probably go with a 2 1/4" exhuast system.

Cheers

emilmh
7th June 2005, 06:07 PM
i dont hear much mention of high flow cat... are you guys using the stock one? :S

sic86
7th June 2005, 08:08 PM
I was going to put one a high flow cat on but it would give me less ground clearance as most of the high flow cat's at the exhaust shop were big. I currently don't have a cat. on but when I get my new exhuast (hopefully within the next two weeks) i will be getting a small stainless steel one.

Cheers

ae71neo
7th June 2005, 09:21 PM
So 2 1/4" the prefered size for NA 4age?

monkeymajik
8th June 2005, 12:02 AM
Yerp!

Hyuga
18th June 2005, 07:06 AM
So should I have it made under or over the diff? what is the differences in preformace between those two?
As my car currently hasn't been lowered yet, I'm afraid if I do it under the diff, the exhaust will be hitting the ground if I lower the car later.

slydar
18th June 2005, 09:52 AM
there is no stock cat an ADM 86.

go to the exhuast shop and ask for a 2 1/4" system its as simple as that. everyone uses some type of resonator at the very back, but in the middle, whether you go for straight through or a proper muffler, or something like MR2drift describes will determine how loud the car is. the headers you got.. do they fit a 20v? i dont think they do without modification..

under diff' is the way to go.. but you need to have your suspension sorted first, the ride height, so you can run it pretty close, but leave some room for droop. with under diff the system is allmost straight. over is more complex and expensive, the car can still easilly have legal road clearance at legal ride height with under, so i see no reason not to go under.

you dont need a cat unless you want one. strictly speaking it should be required for blue plate for the 20v.. but you dont really need it.

trueno86
22nd June 2005, 12:36 AM
i found running under diff exhaust i tend to break the weld joints, and the rubbers would easily break off cause its extremely close to the diff, my exhaust is about 5cm if not off the ground which is really low. So i am going to change it to overdiff for better clearance.

monkeymajik
22nd June 2005, 12:47 AM
Mmm i think an under the diff exhaust is not really practical on a street car.

In my experience, when it comes to exhausts you get what you pay for. Be wary.

DRFTAE86
1st July 2005, 03:52 PM
Unless ur car has been lowered a fair amount.... under the diff exhuast will be fine.

Just tell the exhuast shop u want the exhuast as close to the car as possable.... they know what there doin, so they will get it as close as 'safely' possable (obviously there needs to be room between the exhuast and the car)

As for sound, just before the muffler get a joining plate welded in, so u can interchange between mufflers. I hav 1 cannon ($120), 1 oval baffeled ($30 from wreckers) and a straight pipe ($10 at exhaust shop wen system was being done).

I dont run a cat, but now hav a resonator. The cannon is way over the legal limit on DBs. The oval is about 10DB below legal. And the pipe....haha, only used once.

Gilly
1st July 2005, 08:07 PM
i ended up with a 2 1/2 inch system ( i asked for 2 1/4!!) used a gen 3 cat convertor which was 2 1/8 but they flared it to suit and a single cannon muffler, is pretty loud. i went over diff. i used the gen 3 cat as i only paid $50 for a pair!!! ask exhaust shops that do exhaust upgrades on new cars, they'll have a shit load of new cats. aussie v8s and the like normally have a decent size cat. zoom mag said the delco (gen3 cat) was a good size and flow for most low powered 4 cyl applications. also my exhaust gets that tinny raspy sound at about 4 grand onwards, a resonator will fix this.

DRFTAE86
2nd July 2005, 01:51 PM
You asked for 2 1/4 and they gave you 2 1/2?
uuummmm Did u ask y?