PDA

View Full Version : 20v RWD conversion help

Hyuga
6th June 2005, 09:44 PM
had a read of several articles about 20v RWD conversion for sprinter, and I'm going to 20v my sprinter but wonder if anyone have information about how to set up a DLI/coil/igniter/crank angle sensor considering I'm going to use an aftermarket computer(EMS stinger/Microtech LTX).

And also what parts do I need to get and where to buy.(as cheap as I can find)
Thx

slide86
6th June 2005, 10:31 PM
FunkDoc knows all
wait for him to reply to this

Hyuga
6th June 2005, 10:50 PM
thx D1_spec, atm I got 3 choices of used aftermarket ecu , they are EMS stinger version3, Microtech LTX8/LT8??) so would someone pls tell me which one I should go considering i have a motor will no wiring and no factory ecu which means I need a standalone unit. Also I would like to know if I'm able to use the CA18DE's coils and igniter which is someone's left over.

screech
7th June 2005, 12:25 AM
hi dude, ive done the wiring on nightdevils sprinter (see craigs 86 projects in members cars), both he and i are running microtech computers. i have an LTX 8s and craig is using an MTX 8 bothe with DFI (direct fire ignition) using 4 ignition coils, 1 for each cylinder.

i have found microtech to be very reliable and most of my friends swear by it, a few other friends find they prefer EMS.

to purchase i microtech, you must inform them of what motor you are running as well as how you are running it (eg. NA, supercharged, turbo, and the ignition system you want, coil igniter through dizzy or DFI), they will then find a suitable computer and base program it to run the engine. but it still needs to be fine tuned on a dyno.

you will be supplied with a computer (may be one or two units dpending on model and ignition setup), a loom about 2m long, an instruction manual displaying the wiring installation diagram with plug descriptions and plug pin to wire connections on computer. its fairly simple to do if you have a basic understanding of auto electrical.

as for the coils, you can go out to repco and purchase Bosch ignition coils for around $50 to 60 each, i think mine were listed as standard coil replacement for a later model telstar, i can get you the model no if you like.

seeing as 20V dont have CAS, the computer will use your dizzy find engine timing, no spark leads need to go to it but there are 3 or 4 wires that connect to it and go directly to the computer. doing you ign this way gives you very flexible ign timing curves to suit any fuel you want to run.

craigs car fired up first time after the rewire and sitting around for about a whole year, mine had a little trouble with the wrong base program being loaded but once that was fixed it fired up first time also.

a microtech will cost you about 1200 depending on who you get it from or if you know someone, coils around $50 each, and optional extras include a handset (up to 250 i recommend getting one, it displays all engine data and stats, or a microtech dash a bit pricy around 800 i think, has all digital displays of engine stats and shift warnings etc). you will also need to purchase plugs to suit your injectors, dizzy sensors etc, could cost up to around 300 for new aftermarket plugs to cover your whole engine.

i hope this helps you out http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Hyuga
7th June 2005, 02:05 AM
thx a lot for explaining every bit so briefly Screech, its really helpful.
so does microtech supply dizzy sensor at all?

screech
7th June 2005, 05:37 PM
na mate, the sensor is in your dizzy already, from factory. its the little four point star on the dizzy shaft with a little black thing mounted very close to it underneath the rotor button.

it is whats called an inductive pickup. it uses magnetic pulses transformed into electrical signals that tell the computer when to fire the appripriate coil.

your instruction manual will tell you which computer wires to connect to which pin on the plug on your dizzy.

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
7th June 2005, 09:48 PM
Ummm... i think screech has covered it pretty well.... Thats pretty much what i did... Cap over the dizzy to give me the clearence... used the trigger sensor inside the dizzy for my motec... and use aftermarket coils for the igniter...

Hyuga
9th June 2005, 09:22 PM
well, thx a lot for the 20v experts here

now I wanna ask what do you guys do with the water line? do you guys use a water relocation block like this?

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
9th June 2005, 10:41 PM
umm...yes... but mine's like a 1/4 of that size and i run remote thermostat....
U'll find that its pretty tight up in there too...

Hyuga
10th June 2005, 03:50 AM
so do you know who made those kits (prefer sydney) and how much do they go for normally?
are those kits a must when doing the this conversion?

screech
11th June 2005, 03:50 PM
that looks rather large, a little too large i think actually. either a lot of panel beating to the firewall or run water pipes to the standard water fittings. there should be pics of nightdevils engine bay finished on his members thread (craigs 86 project)

Hyuga
11th June 2005, 04:34 PM
o, I saw his car on member rides so is he use all the orginal waterline no modification at all? That's sounds great if it can be achieve by just slamming the firewall as I dun want to spend any money on buying a kit for the waterline if the orginal waterline can be used. Rather spend the money on other stuffs.

screech
11th June 2005, 04:49 PM
im pretty sure he uses the water fittings as standard on the engine, but has connected them to the radiator via stainless steel pipes. one for the upper hose, one for the lower. the upper one is clearly visible as it runs aside the motor and across the front to the rad tank. the lower on is the same but mounted down under the exhaust. both pipes are connected to the tank and engine with a bit of rad hose and clamps. but the are mounted with tabs welded on and bolted to the motor so they dont move around.

rthy
14th June 2005, 05:11 AM
anyone using the standard cooling with a firewall mod is a butcher. Here check out my worklog and you can see the best way to convert it:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=m...tart=0&count=60 (http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&th=61010&prevloaded=1&rid=4385&S=573a8e831e0e3a17dd875dd70a214606&rev=&reveal=&start=0&count=60)

slydar
16th June 2005, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Hyuga@Jun 9 2005, 08:22 PM
well, thx a lot for the 20v experts here

now I wanna ask what do you guys do with the water line? do you guys use a water relocation block like this?
thats the stupidest thing iver ever seen. akellam@optusnet.com.au will sell you all the parts to do it properly. dont even bother asking. just buy them.

slydar
16th June 2005, 09:09 PM
that block is the stupidest thing iver ever seen. akellam@optusnet.com.au will sell you all the parts to do it properly. dont even bother asking. just buy them.

Hyuga
18th June 2005, 07:18 AM
well, after watching some jap ae86 vedios and option mags, seeing most of them run two pipes from the rear of engine, going along the intake side under the quads, with a remote thermostat before the radiator. I think I may try this as this seems the most safe and prettiest way to do I reckon.

rthy
18th June 2005, 09:27 AM
I have a kit for sale that does it this way, PM me if your interested.