PDA

View Full Version : Steering rack & brake hoses

flamingheads
1st July 2005, 02:56 PM
Can somone tell me if you can adjust the steering rack to take the play out? And I can swap brake hoses over from other cars cant I? Cause mine failed a roadworthy and Ive got some spares on a wreck.

sotiros86
2nd July 2005, 12:45 AM
generally I don't think rack&pinion steering has any play in it, if it does it's probably stuffed. There might be a little nut at the end of the steering shaft, I don't know what that nut does though. When the rack had play in our car the tie ends were shot & needed to be replaced.

I'd say brake hoses is brake hoses as long as the thread/nut is the same size and they're not too long or short, go for it.

StockAE86
2nd July 2005, 12:56 AM
I know you can adjust the backlash in the steering rack, but check your tie rods and rack ends first.

DRFTAE86
2nd July 2005, 02:25 PM
If ur gonna replace ur brake hoses might as well go new braided hoses. Obviously would cost more then used 1's from a wrecker, but at least u'll know u wont ever hav a problem with em again.

flamingheads
5th July 2005, 09:42 AM
I think in the steering theres a bit where theres like 5 washers and you can take one out and that will 'cure' the play in the steering if it was the problem outher wise ill have to get some new bits. I was just wondering if anyone knew this for sure before I pulled it apart. With the brake hoses I figure theyve lasted for 22 years and 350,000 odd kms so ones from a wreck should be fine for me.

RobertoX
5th July 2005, 12:50 PM
"shakes head"

i bet u will put some rice on your car?

rebuild the rack properly and use NEW brake lines

u can blow a motor, but u usually only get one chance with brakes and steering

dont be a cheap skate and buy new brake lines at the least, if braided are too much they will be like $120 for the front in rubber, or about $190 from toyota well worth it

please!

hahaha