PDA

View Full Version : Shaking in Wheel

sic86
3rd July 2005, 01:59 PM
My steering wheel shakes when driving. I have near new tyres and have recently aligned and balanced the tyres at Quick Fit. What else could I try?

Cheers

trueno86
3rd July 2005, 07:03 PM
steering rack end, ball joints in tie rods, or maybe wheel nuts loose
?

sic86
3rd July 2005, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by trueno86@Jul 3 2005, 06:03 PM
steering rack end, ball joints in tie rods, or maybe wheel nuts loose
?
It's always been shaking since I bought it. Could it possibly be the wheel bearings? I also have a Quaife Quick Rack 2.5 installed on the vehicle.

Cheers

djscheppy
3rd July 2005, 07:27 PM
maybe a small buckel in your wheel
mine does it over 100

sic86
3rd July 2005, 08:05 PM
Mine starts at about 50km and gets worse the faster I go but the roads around here are bad enough

Cheers

sic86
3rd July 2005, 08:07 PM
There doesn't seem to be any damage to the wheels either. Is there any way of testing to see if they are buckled?

Cheers

trueno86
3rd July 2005, 08:51 PM
not steering rack, the steering rack end, the inner rack end which connects to steering rack could be playing, what u do is just move ur steering left and right if u hear noises then something is playing up..

upgarage
3rd July 2005, 09:35 PM
easy to spot a buckled wheel when its off and on a balancing machine
tyre shop would/should have told you it was buckled

phrostbyte
7th July 2005, 07:30 PM
I had this problem with my first KE70 and also after I changed to RA28 struts on the second KE70, It may well be a suss wheel bearing, take the cap off the middle of the hub, take the split pin out, and tighten the thing a tiny bit, then spin the wheel to make sure it still spins freely enough, if it does, re-split pin it, cap it, and take it for a test drive, should fix your problem...

Kev.

Tom86
8th July 2005, 01:06 PM
It seem that steering wheel shaking at certain speed is a common problem in ae86. I have the same problem with my car it wasn't as bad when I first bought the car ie I can get up to 140-50kph then it would start to shake now it would start to shake at 100kph. Its damn annoying http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/angry.gif , anyway I will check the wheel bearing like phrostbyte said.

The Doc
21st July 2005, 01:12 PM
its a buckle wheel.....

sic86
21st July 2005, 04:29 PM
But the wheels seem fine. It's been to Quickfit twice and they never mentioned anything. There isn't any scraps from gutters on them either.

Cheers

sic86
15th October 2005, 11:03 PM
I just had a look, cleaned my wheels (alot of shit on them) and the front ones are +15 offset and +25 offset on the rear (15" wheels) Would this matter at all? As I thought most ae86 owners have negative offset.

Cheers

FilthinRich
18th October 2005, 12:51 AM
i had the same prob mate. i got rack ends, wheel bearings replaced and it was sweet as. take it to a mech n get an inspection done mate

RobertoX
18th October 2005, 08:34 AM
front ones are +15 offset and +25 offset on the rear (15" wheels) Would this matter at all? As I thought most ae86 owners have negative offset.[/b]

This wont matter, +15 is pretty low really and you wont need a -ve offset unless you have some fairly wide wheels. If they arent rubbing on the struts you should be fine. Wont be a problem front to rear as long as you dont get any mixed up

DRFTAE86
18th October 2005, 11:05 AM
I had the same problem but it was After my car tried to make love with the riple strips at Calder park.

I assumed i damaged sumthing but never found out what it was as i pulled the engine out the week after.

Lets us know what the problem is if u do find out. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

sic86
18th October 2005, 04:50 PM
Well I have new front rotors/pads and wheel bearings sitting here which i will put in when I have got time

Cheers

RobertoX
18th October 2005, 05:51 PM
hhahhahaha my ke70 has this same problem, i have replaced EVERYTHING...except wheel bearing///

CAE86
21st October 2005, 07:06 PM
Mate if your in brisbane, bring it to bob jane macgregor and i'll check the balances for you. Could be a weight has fallen off, or the tyres might not be spinning smoothly. Happens all the time, just need to find the ones that spin the best and put them up front.

duo
3rd December 2005, 05:40 PM
if ya due for new tires get some with wheel aliment and balance, mie had the same problem camber was out by 5 degrees shaking wheel and destroies a set of tires in one month

soongster
4th December 2005, 10:45 PM
replace your rack ends maybe flogged out, they become loose and if they are stuffed wheel alingments and balancing are pointless, would suggest jack it up and move wheel if they feel loose take ya boots of and check your rack ends. also nip up your wheel bearing and make sure you dont have shit load of greese in them as it will have a negative effect and create heat.

cheers

sic86
5th December 2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by duo@Dec 3 2005, 04:40 PM
if ya due for new tires get some with wheel aliment and balance, mie had the same problem camber was out by 5 degrees shaking wheel and destroies a set of tires in one month
The tyres are about 1 year old now.

Cheers

mech`s blue
10th December 2005, 06:53 PM
aswell as checking your tie rod ends of your steering rack and your wheel bearings, make sure you check the ball joint in the control arm just under the damper. make sure it is greased as well!

in my experience after i have made sure the tyre is balanced, it will be one of these problems 99% of the time!

hope that helps

Monk
14th December 2005, 09:15 PM
I had the same issue. (still do) .. anything over 90k's and it rattles..
I think it was because i flicked the outter wheel weights off, took the front to get balanced today and the guy put all the weights on the inside. calmed it down abit.

Proberly doesnt help having streteched tyres on it too http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif