PDA

View Full Version : Buying a JDM AE86 Coupe

Keep_er_lit
14th July 2005, 05:55 AM
I'm conisdering buying a JDM AE86 Coupe (Sprinter) I live in Ireland and these cars are as hard to find I've never seen a sprinter coupe in the flesh as most Irish boys go for the Levin (and abuse them) I was wondering how common are these in Down under compared to the other 3 (levin h/b sprinter h/b levin coupe) and japan and is harder to get a car out of oz then it is Japan

DRiiFT_King
14th July 2005, 01:17 PM
the levin coupe would be the rarest but we still see them around, most the truenos here arnt real (just swaped the front) and normal levins are common (thease are adm not jdm, that means there like an ae85

slide86
14th July 2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Keep_er_lit@Jul 14 2005, 04:55 AM
I'm conisdering buying a JDM AE86 Coupe (Sprinter) I live in Ireland and these cars are as hard to find I've never seen a sprinter coupe in the flesh as most Irish boys go for the Levin (and abuse them) I was wondering how common are these in Down under compared to the other 3 (levin h/b sprinter h/b levin coupe) and japan and is harder to get a car out of oz then it is Japan
hmm i think your getting a little mixed up
the levin here in australia is called a sprinter.
but in japan the sprinter is the trueno if i am right.

so im not sure wheter you want the trueno coupe or levin coupe.

there are a few levin coupes in brisbane, ive seen about 4. and two of them are mates. although ive never seen a trueno coupe

slide86
14th July 2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by DRiiFT_King@Jul 14 2005, 12:17 PM
the levin coupe would be the rarest but we still see them around, most the truenos here arnt real (just swaped the front) and normal levins are common (thease are adm not jdm, that means there like an ae85
every trueno ive seen has been real http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif
only know of like 2 in australia that have been swapped

NickAE86
14th July 2005, 07:24 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/2/1/552724.jpg

i believe this is what he's after

Aus
Sprinter - non pop up lights
Trueno - pop up lights

hatch or coupe

JDM
Corolla Levin - non pop up
Sprinter Trueno - pop up

hatch or coupe

coupe being "sedan" ie: boot
hatch...well thats obvious

funkymonkey
14th July 2005, 08:33 PM
AE85's are 1.5L engined parallel models to AE86's which are 1.6L (carby SOHC or EFI DOHC).

In australia we only got a 5 speed manual 1.6L carby levin (something that was never sold in japan). It was basically an AE85 with a 1.6L, which is why it came out as an AE86. It was called a Toyota Sprinter here, to differentiate it as the sportier version of the Toyota Corolla.

Genuine Sprinter Trueno coupes are as rare as hen's teeth in australia (and europe obviously), however they're pretty common in the US and in japan. In fact any AE85 or AE86 coupe (Corolla Levin or Sprinter Trueno) in australia is pretty rare as almost all of em are hatches.

We've sent a couple of trueno's to ireland now, so if you're serious about sourcing one out of japan, check out our website n drop Ben an email on ben@j-spec.com.au

Keep_er_lit
15th July 2005, 02:42 AM
trueno coupe is the one i'm after but I rang my insurance compainy and they wouldn't cover my on the car because i'm only 17 (I thought I would get cover as its a 1.6) so i'm sticking to my mums Avensis for another year but they would cover me on a 94 BMW 325TDS but I drove one today and wasn't impressed with the handling or power

evil86
30th July 2005, 01:54 AM
THE LEVIN HERE IS A SPRINTER!!! I WOULD STICK WIT A TRUENO COUPE COS THEY R THE BEST I RECKON

evil86
30th July 2005, 01:56 AM
DAMN THATS A NICE PIC THAT U GOT THERE NICAE86 IT WOULD B AWESOME AND PROBABLY IS what HE IS AFTER

mikes86
30th July 2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by ae86 magician@Jul 30 2005, 12:54 AM
THE LEVIN HERE IS A SPRINTER!!! I WOULD STICK WIT A TRUENO COUPE COS THEY R THE BEST I RECKON
Only in Australia champ... corolla levin, and trueno sprinter in japan where the cars come from. And for F*CKS sake turn your caps lock off!