PDA

View Full Version : What Required?

sic86
20th July 2005, 03:48 PM
Im thinking about rebuilding the head on my JDM 4AGE 16V.
I'm thinking about putting better cams, etc. in while the head is off. What degree are the standard cams and if I was to put better ones in, what degree should i use?
Also, how thick should a good head gasket be?
If i get adjustable cam gears does that mean that the timing has to be tuned again?
Any other info will be handy http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif

Cheers

Monster
20th July 2005, 05:15 PM
I'm pretty sure that the standard cams are 240 deg on 7.9mm lift. The biggest you can go is about 264 deg with the standard inlet manifold and ECU. The block can be decked 40thou and metal head gasket should read about the 0.6mm.
I would suggest better valve springs and a mild port and polish too.
As fa as adjustable cam gears, they can be put on and be set to 100-100 (0-0) but should be tuned on a dyno, the advantage of these is that you can move the power band across the rev range.
This recipe is not ground breaking but will feel more responsive and torque, say about the 160hp at the fly with exhaust and filter

sic86
20th July 2005, 05:19 PM
HKS make a 264 degree cam but it is a 8.1mm lift. Is that going to matter?
I was planning on getting better springs and port + polish aswell. Any suggestions for the springs?

Cheers

Monster
20th July 2005, 08:41 PM
Toda make some fantastic valve springs, as well as cam sets and lots of other orgasmic stuff (http://www.todaracing.com.au/toda_home.html). As far as the lift, the more lift you have, the less agressive duration you can use (when only using the OEM ECU) because of the vaccum sensor not having enough to get a decent reading off.

As far as the port and polish, there are four areas that need attention on the 4AGE heads
- The area just above the valve seats, the combustion chamber, and the ports themselves, and the valves & seats.
- The area above the valve seats are a little too parallel, and should be narrowed up a little to create a bit of a venturi effect.
- The combustion chamber has numerous sharp edges that need to be smoothed off, to eliminate pre-ignition, etc.
- The inlet and exhaust ports are quite good standard, but they are a little too big on the big port heads and a little too small on the small port heads. The small port head is easy to make a bit larger, but making the big port smaller is quite difficult, so don't try it - Just clean up all the nasty little bumps & casting marks in the head instead.
- The valves & seats benefit greatly from a good three or even five angle cutting job.

This should nett about 160hp and is reaching the limits of the OEM ECU and inlet manifold

sic86
21st July 2005, 08:49 AM
And does the lift of the cams matter?

Cheers

The Doc
21st July 2005, 12:30 PM
yes the lift of the cams matters.
as much as the degrees.
Basically your cams will determine how much horse power you will make, providing all the other work is done.

Monster
21st July 2005, 02:03 PM
The duration is how long the cam lobe allows the valve to open.
The lift is how much the cam lobe allows the valve to open.
Like I said, if running a OEM ECU and to get decent resolution from you vaccum sensor, you have to watch what cams you put in.

sic86
22nd July 2005, 08:08 PM
This is the list I am thinking of:-
- HKS 264 Degree cams with 8.1mm lift
- HKS Adjust. Cam Gears
- Heavy Duty Valves and Springs
- Felpro Gaskets
- Port + Polish Head

Will they be fine or will I be overdoing it?
HKS also make a 256 degree cam with 8mm lift but I wanted something a little better. Do you know what the standard ones are??

Cheers

sic86
25th July 2005, 05:13 PM
I got prices today on the HKS Cams and Sprockets
- Cams $660 ea.
- Sprockets $290 ea.
How do those prices compare to the TRD etc.

Cheers

screech
25th July 2005, 08:30 PM
those prices dont sound too bad are they retail price? a friend of mine paid $750 ish for toda cams (each) for his 20v but they were 307 degrees and at trade price.

i think the cam gears were around 550 pair rrp for toda.

if you do all that you could also go for a quad throttle conversion, because you have the same engine mods as myself in mind, except i want to go for longer duration cams and am working on the quads atm.

i cant wait to hear how it goes when its done.

sic86
25th July 2005, 09:06 PM
Are Crower, Crow Cams, TRD and HKS all much of a muchness or is one better than the other?

Cheers

screech
25th July 2005, 09:25 PM
i read somewhere that all the name brands who make thir own cams are worth the money, and those who regrind cams should be avoided. my personal opinion is the same.

i would have a preferrence to toda or HKS, due to the fact they spend LOTS of cash on R&D. therefore you know you are getting a quality product.

Monster
26th July 2005, 02:19 PM
TODA prices are pretty good, about $900 a cam pair (depending on size) and wheels about the $245 for the pair, what isn't good is the delivery time, ex Japan about 4-6 weeks!!! (Dont know how currant those prices are)

sic86
26th July 2005, 07:18 PM
Who sells TODA?

Cheers

screech
26th July 2005, 07:40 PM
not sure who my mate got his from,

but try going to their site,

www.todaracing.com (U.S.)
www.todaracing.com.au (Australia)

DRFTAE86
27th July 2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Alan@Jul 26 2005, 06:18 PM
Who sells TODA?

Cheers
www.greenline.jp http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Monster
27th July 2005, 03:21 PM
I think the guy up stairs likes me... my mate is the Australian Toda Rep!!!
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

sic86
2nd August 2005, 10:07 AM
Crower make some cams aswell but there smallest one is
61821-2 Stage 1 - Street use. Slight lope at idle. 1500-6500+ rpm. Advertised Duration (268 / 268) Duration @ .50" (216 / 220) Gross Lift (.362 / .362)
Is that going to be to big for the stock ECU?????

Cheers

DRFTAE86
2nd August 2005, 10:20 AM
I have a friend with a TwinCam that is using those size cams (268) and has a ported head and rebulit bottom end. Stock TVIS intake and standard ECU. Makes a bit over 100kw. But he does use a SAFC to correct the idle a bit. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

sic86
2nd August 2005, 08:42 PM
And how does it run?

Cheers

DRFTAE86
2nd August 2005, 10:45 PM
Well he says it runs well.... as he uses it for track.

sic86
3rd August 2005, 02:12 PM
Would I notice any difference with the 256 degree cams and adjustable cam gears?
Are the stock big port ones 240 degrees?

Cheers

sic86
9th August 2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by DRFTAE86+Jul 27 2005, 12:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Alan@Jul 26 2005, 06:18 PM
Who sells TODA?

Cheers
www.greenline.jp http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif [/b]
Are their prices correct? I used the currency convertor from yen to australian and they are like $390 for each cam????

Cheers