PDA

View Full Version : can you still use 4age's on the road

brad
3rd August 2005, 11:04 AM
I have got a stocko sprinter, and a rwd 4age, i now want a 4age powered sprinter.
i have heard a few rumors that the 4age's don't meet the Australian requirements anymore, is there any truth behind this
the engine that i have got is the blue/black 95kw version,
thanks brad
in tas

sic86
3rd August 2005, 02:03 PM
I doubt it. There don't have a turbo or supercharger so it will still pass the emissions test. As long as you have a mod plate it should be fine.

Cheers

slydar
3rd August 2005, 09:30 PM
pft. man you dont even have to do that, most mechanics who do road worhty couldnt/wouldnt know its not ment to be there.

but yeah you can do it legit for sure.the engine was available in australian delivered cars so its really no problem at all.

brad
4th August 2005, 10:31 AM
Yeah that was what i was hopeing the car is still registered so i wont have to chuck it over the pits i hope. just was wondering what the inscurance company would say
bard

DRFTAE86
4th August 2005, 12:45 PM
Alot of mechanics round here always check the engine number of the block with the number on the firewall.... But just say the 4ac blew up so you had to put in another engine. Worked for me. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

But after that you SHOULD take ur car to Vicroads (or watever it is u guys hav in ur state) and just get ur engine legally rego'd in ur car. Only cost a couple of bucks.

SPEEDCORE
4th August 2005, 06:07 PM
I think someone has crossed up some info from the company PRB (the guys that make those Lotus 7 replica kits).

I read about 6 months ago on their website that starting from a date in '05, that the 4A-GE would not be able to be used in them anymore, by laws imposed by the NSW RTA.

Whether this extends to AE86's also is another question.

Hope this helps... and not open a whole other can of worms for you guys.

screech
7th August 2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by slydar@Aug 7 2005, 02:30 PM
pft. man you dont even have to do that, most mechanics who do road worhty couldnt/wouldnt know its not ment to be there.

but yeah you can do it legit for sure.the engine was available in australian delivered cars so its really no problem at all.
i would like to disagree if i may, the black/blue top engine is the JDM engine for the levin/ trueno and it is an imported motor. it therefore requires an engineering signatory for it to be street legal. i got done for it 12 hours after my conversion was done. the black/red top from the AE 82 is the aus spec motor

but on a separate note, the NSW RTA website says that a replacement motor that is not the same as the OEM motor is classified as "owner certified" not requiring an engineering signatory if it is not larger in capacity by more than (i think) 10% of the original motors capacity.

this means that a 4AC to 4AGE conversion should be legal provided it complies with emission/pollutions laws.

but i reccomend getting it certified to save you any hassles with the boys in blue.

taitran
16th August 2005, 09:45 PM
What about a CA18det into sprinter. Will that need to be engineered?
And is it legal?

screech
16th August 2005, 11:51 PM
anything is legal if it is certified by an authorised automotive engineer.

as for the CA18 turbo you would have to upgrade braking system to that of an S13 or better (bigger brake rotors, brake booster, calipers etc). some engineers may want a suspension upgrade and/or collapsable steering shaft from the s.wheel.

your best bet is to locate the nearest engineer on the RTA website or in store list and give the dude a call and ask him anything you want.

taitran
17th August 2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks heaps