PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic E-brake for 86's

screech
22nd August 2005, 12:56 AM
ok people before i start let me just say that replacing the factory handbrake is illegal. law states that there must be a secondary braking system that does not use the hydraulic system to work, to do this the manufacturers have made the e-brake mechanical.

this kit is a secondary E-brake and works in conjunction with the normal rear brakes line and does not interfere with the standard handbrake making it somewhat more legal for street use depending on the cop that you get.

Piston freak came up with this idea of using a master cylinder of a particular type in series with the rear brake line with a sort of 2nd shifter knob, this is actually the lever for the rear brake. it all works fine as you drive all brakes work as per usual, but when the lever is pulled, pressure is only applied to the rear wheels because the master cyl blocks return pressure to the front.

i have just put together a prototype kit to bolt in to 86's. its not finished yet but i say prob tomorow or wednesday should be up and running, when its done ill post up some pics and a test drive report.

piston freak and myself would like to have a show of hands as to who would be interested in such a product (bear in mind we can make it to suit nearly any car).

at a guess right now parts and manufacture of the kit would cost around $300 - $350 mark, supplied only with every thing you need to fit (including brake lines) but this may change (not much) slightly as this is only the second one we've done.

all we want at the moment is expressions of interest, to see if we should start ordering parts.

.wolfwood
22nd August 2005, 01:32 AM
so this would be something the drifters would be after, it sounds good and all, would like to see waht it looks like and how safe and everyhing it is, 350$ is quite a bit of money for me but probably not for others.

i could be intrested bepending on final pricing.

RobertoX
22nd August 2005, 02:13 AM
the factory handbrakes on 86's are adjective sick anyway

people need to rely on the handbrake less anyway lol

good luck with the sale, sounds like a good idea but due to the 86's having a good handbrake as it is, and most members on here stuggling to rub to shits together as it is!!! hahahaha

ill make more comments when i see pics

upgarage
22nd August 2005, 02:28 AM
you can buy hydraulic setup from revolution race gear

DRiiFT_King
22nd August 2005, 06:59 PM
might be interested depending on final price?

screech
22nd August 2005, 10:10 PM
ok guys mine is in and working. now that its complete ill tell you this.

if you are a larger guy with little leg room then this aint for you. it would intrude into the space where your left knee would normally drift off to when you are on a long drive. and you may touch it when shifting into 5th. ill get pics up for you soon.

its not a pretty thing either, if your woried about winning awards at auto salon dont worry. id say that if you could handle the stick between your left leg and the shifter youd be ok with it.

as for performance, by god it bloody works well, it takes less effort to pull the hydro then the normal brake. some may admit the the standard handbrake doesnt work that well, depending on the condition of their brakes, cables etc.

if you really wanted i could make a kit to replace the cable hand brake and use the standard lever as the hydro unit, if people are interested.

ill get some pics up soon.

Joel-AE86
23rd August 2005, 05:31 PM
WTF is an E-Brake?

Sounds like the time of the day where you have a break from work to pop some E's :s

My handbrake works sick and always has. Invest in some decent drum shoes, and you should never have any issues with the rears not locking.

upgarage
23rd August 2005, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Joel-AE86@Aug 23 2005, 02:31 PM
WTF is an E-Brake?

Sounds like the time of the day where you have a break from work to pop some E's :s

My handbrake works sick and always has. Invest in some decent drum shoes, and you should never have any issues with the rears not locking.
unless you've got disks .. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

the disks dont lock as well as the drums

DRFTAE86
23rd August 2005, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Joel-AE86@Aug 23 2005, 04:31 PM
WTF is an E-Brake?

Bbaahahhahaa.... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

.wolfwood
24th August 2005, 09:29 AM
[quote] WTF is an E-Brake?

hahaha

.wolfwood
24th August 2005, 09:30 AM
^^ well that didnt work....

RobertoX
24th August 2005, 12:16 PM
that was funnier than the quote http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

any pics of this thing yet?

my mate tried to make one for his crappy nissan out of a trailer handbrake

Rian
18th September 2005, 12:32 PM
If you go to Race Brakes in Wetherill Park you can get a discount if its to a "race car" .... i had one put into my car and to date it is worth every cent spent on it .... locks wheels very easy

Stomp86
10th December 2005, 02:42 PM
hmm i know this thread has died in the arse but i been playing around with something similar......does anyone know if pumping fluid threw the hole where the bleed nipple is in the calipers will make them lock?

because if it does then its just a matter of running lines back to a brake master resivor in the cabin with a leaver atached to it...right?

Adam

DRFTAE86
11th December 2005, 10:09 AM
I was wondering where this topic went...haha

I was thinking about it the other day and did some looking around and i found 1 that D2 make, dunno how much it cost though.

Stomp86
11th December 2005, 07:18 PM
yeah i saw that before....but making that part is easy...like an hour of fabricating and welding and its all sorted....

i put together a mock set up where i kept my standard handbrake and to the pasanger side transmition tunnel i mounted the whole set up in a rally sort of fashion with a half meter tube going straight up which u just yank ....the problem is that i want to keep my normal brakes on the rear and just make up something that just plugs into the bleed nipple hole...it just seems like the most rational way to do it unless im missing something

does anyone actually know if pumping fluid into the bleed nipple locks the brakes?

Adam

Dorio86
12th December 2005, 08:05 AM
Toyota Camrys have hydraulic handbrakes

crazy86
12th December 2005, 11:06 AM
The problem with the handbrake pictured above, and all the other ones available at race shops, Is that they are designed to be used in place of the original handbrake, which is illegal in a street registered vehicle.

Steves handbrake it a completely seperate setup, and it doesnt intefere with the original handbrake at all. It mounts to the side of the transmission tunnel, beside the gear shifter, and has a handle that extends upwards, between the wheel and the gearshift (like a rally style sequential shifter)

As for running the hydraulic handbrake to the bleed valve side of the calipers, thats not necessary. You just need to tee into the rear brake line, and the standard proportioning valve will stop pressure getting to the front brakes.

ae71neo
12th December 2005, 11:32 AM
Any pics of the original ones mentioned?

Steve-AE86
14th December 2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Dorio86@Dec 12 2005, 06:35 AM
no they do not.

if they did, it wouldn't comply with ADR's.

the ADR relevant to brakes states that the parking brake(emergency brake) must not be hydraulic, and must be of a mechanical nature.

JDMJNKY
14th December 2005, 10:51 PM
t18 rear end breaks lock up so well there would be no advantage putting one in a t18 rear end setup. But good work for making a setup like that make sure its SAFE

Dorio86
15th December 2005, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Steve-AE86+Dec 14 2005, 07:51 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Dorio86@Dec 12 2005, 06:35 AM
no they do not.

if they did, it wouldn't comply with ADR's.

the ADR relevant to brakes states that the parking brake(emergency brake) must not be hydraulic, and must be of a mechanical nature. [/b]
Well, they dont have lines going to the handbrake, so what do you call that???

RobertoX
15th December 2005, 02:34 PM
no lines to the handbrake? my parents have a camry and i swear the handbrake barely works..maybe thats why...STILL SMILING hahahaha

Dorio86
15th December 2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by truenosedan@Dec 15 2005, 01:34 PM
no lines to the handbrake? my parents have a camry and i swear the handbrake barely works..maybe thats why...STILL SMILING hahahaha
Let me give you a hand ahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahaha

Steve-AE86
15th December 2005, 06:27 PM
lol...they go under the carpet to the rear, then pop out just in front of the rear wheels...

crazy86
15th December 2005, 07:26 PM
Hahaha http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

OwnEd http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif

Dorio86
15th December 2005, 09:11 PM
I see http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/ph34r.gif

rileymoore05
28th May 2006, 10:38 PM
they certainly dont have hydraulic handbrakes, they are illegal.
they have cables that kinda hide above the exaust heat sheild and come out near the rear suspension area.
also, dont be confuse with handbrakes on cars with diskbrake rear ends that sometimes have a racheting type handbrake where the cable actually goes into the back of the caliper. I had a guy swear blind once they were a hydralic handbrake! haha

driftism
29th May 2006, 02:19 PM
the ADR relevant to brakes states that the parking brake(emergency brake) must not be hydraulic, and must be of a mechanical nature.[/b]

Emergency brake... haha... drifting is an emergency!

ae86 slide
10th June 2006, 11:14 PM
im having troubles with my T18 rear locking at the moment, really shitting me, replaced brake shoes, wheel cylinders, adjusted drums and at the base of the hand brake and the bitch still wont lock in a straight line, any sugestions?

RobertoX
12th June 2006, 07:02 PM
are you axle seals leaking oil into the drum?

ae86 slide
12th June 2006, 09:05 PM
they were, got new seal in there, and replaced all parts still cant get the fucker to lock in a straight line

MARKE70
12th June 2006, 09:20 PM
Hey Jason,

I dunno if this is your prob but ahwell. With my fiat it wouldn't lock either so i did what you did replaced everything.

The axle seal was leaking so replaced that. Went for drive and it wouldn't lock.

Pulled the wheels off and the seal was fucked already-oil everywhere again. The answer was the axle was bent which chewed up the seal in an instant.

I have no clue if this is your problem or if this happens to toyota's but it happened with the fiat so yea.

ae86 slide
13th June 2006, 04:02 PM
oh ok, yeah ill check that out.
If thats not the prob im thinking of going straight for a hydraulic one with some costom valves to the rear end.
David do you sell a kit like this?

RyGuy86
11th December 2006, 05:09 PM
SOME ONE PLEASE PUT UP PICS AND RATES OF THE ORIGINAL PRODUCT MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD!

PLEASE http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif !!!

Gilly
11th December 2006, 06:57 PM
try pm'ing screech dude. old thread so pretty good chance he won't be checking it any time soon for responses.

yours in friendly moderation

Gilly

slydar
12th December 2006, 09:32 PM
jason.

guess your cables could be fucked. or after alot of use also your lever can bend/get fatigued/crack and itll flex instead of putting the force into to brakes. check for signs or stress there too i guess.

when i change to discs in my te72 axle (which i have in my jap 86 for ease of replacement of axles) ill be running hydraulic, but ill be running the rear end exclusively off the hand brake, front and rear will on independant circuits.

means ill be able to get made weight transfer for under braking initiation and also maybe use the brakes mid drift for tightening the line a little.

screech
27th December 2006, 12:38 AM
my apologies friends. it has been quite a while since i even touched this computer. even longer since i ripped that f**king thing out of my car. it spent about 3 months in my car, during which i attended 3 or 4 track days. i found it annoying in position, cause my left leg was pressed against it during drift and cornering.

im sorry for the late photo i assumed nobody would have been interested. this is the ugly fukker that i came up with. it sits exactly to the right side of the gear shift

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/124303.jpg

SpotterOne
6th January 2007, 01:08 AM
I put one of these into my car, though it is a little bit different to a sprinter. I managed to shoe-horn it into the transmission tunnel and have the lever poking through a slot I cut in the top of the tunnel.

http://www.seemore.com.au/product.php?id=4680

The picture you see there is for mounting on top of the tunnel. I used different holes in the handle so it stands upright. In a sprinter you would just mount it on top of the tunnel next to your existing handbrake handle.

This setup allows me to keep the standard handbrake.

Just a word of caution if you decide to make your own. The production ones like the one shown have a stop built into it to take the place of the little circlip that sits inside the bore, preventing the piston from coming out. The pressure you apply backwards through the handbrake master cylinder when you jump on the normal foot brake can break the little circlip, spraying all your brake fluid everywhere.

Leo

gottago
23rd January 2007, 11:56 AM
i run 2 handbrakes and 2 sets of calipers on the back of my car, one is for the cable handbrake and the other is for the hydraulic one. i made a plate on the back where i run one sr20det caliper with the standard s13 handbrake cables/handbrake and then a s13 caliper with the hydraulic handbrake. just one on ether side of the rotor