PDA

View Full Version : Reupholstering Your Dash

FilthinRich
23rd August 2005, 05:14 PM
Well its come time to think a bit about the comforts of my car and for some time have been thinking about my shitty old cracked up dash. Im looking for solutions to fix it and so far I am unsure of the best path to take.

My options as I see it are as follows.

Take it to an upholster and ask them to recover it in vinyl. (Dont know if they even do this)

Buy a new dash and install that. (Bit of work finding then fitting etc...)

Find some sort of repair kit. (Do they even exist?)

This is what ive thought of and am coming to you guys for opinions and a solution. I am open to ideas and and tips youd like to give me.

Thanks for your time.

DRFT - 86
23rd August 2005, 05:56 PM
I want to get my dash recovered at some stage too... I got quoted $300 roughly to get it vacum moulded, but Im sure it could be done cheaper as the place that quoted me wasnt an auto trimmer, my dash isnt really that bad at this stage though so not to concerned.... I was also thinking of filling the small crack/s that are present with some bog or something for the time been and just spraying it with vinal spray... (black) ... as all the other colours of that shit suck.

FilthinRich
24th August 2005, 12:32 PM
Ive thought of that too, though kinda think it could end up a bit messy

RobertoX
24th August 2005, 12:58 PM
get a dash mat

check for sale section

FilthinRich
25th August 2005, 12:14 AM
I realise a dash mat is an easy solution, but I want the satisfaction of having a nice clean car, and to get that I want a nice crack free dash http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

driftae86
25th August 2005, 02:22 AM
i dont like dash mats

DRFT - 86
25th August 2005, 10:05 PM
Not a fan of dashmats either, sprayed mine today with black vinal spray, came up nicely....got a little plan to cover the crack thats in the middle of the dash on the passenger side....

hush hush for now.....

FilthinRich
26th August 2005, 10:06 AM
easy to take it out?

flamingheads
26th August 2005, 10:55 AM
Im thinking of gluing some vinal or carpet or somthing over the cracked bit (above the instruments). I rekon if I do it neatly it should look pretty good.

DRFT - 86
26th August 2005, 11:06 AM
yeh its pretty easy to take out.......
just make sure u have taken all the screws out... as well as the obvious nuts and bolts.... the screws are a little more difficult to find in some spots.... so look carefully..

CAE86
26th August 2005, 03:44 PM
Don't go the bog route! I did that to mine initially as it has some big cracks in it, and a couple of months later, the cracks came back. This is because the dash twists and contorts with the movement of the car. I am now trying a different approach of putting a couple of layers of fibreglass on first and then using bog to smooth it over. Then I just sprayed it with primer filler and black paint. Not sure how long this method will last as I only did it last month, and the car has been sitting still since then due to busted tailshaft. Will get the car back from the mechanics soon, so will let you know how it goes.

CAE86
26th August 2005, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by FilthinRich@Aug 26 2005, 09:06 AM
easy to take it out?
Yep, as DRFT-86 mentioned, make sure you get all the bolts. There is one hidden behind the clock in the middle of the dash, and also another hidden behind the small vent on the left side of the dash (near the mirror adjustor). Allow about 3 hours or so to take it out, and about the same to put it back in. Just depends on how well you are at putting puzzles together.....

DRFT - 86
26th August 2005, 05:03 PM
3 hours lad......... *i was pwned by swearing filter*...

its not that time consuming...... even if u havent done it before.... it took me about 15-20mins to take out and around 10 to put it back in.... which I just did about 2 hours ago...

FilthinRich
28th August 2005, 10:05 AM
i might drop down to thecar trimmers n see how much they wanna take off me for doing it, do they usually offer a warranty or nething?

DRFT - 86
28th August 2005, 11:59 AM
let us know the quote you get man, get one for vac moulding and one for hand sticthed/sewn.... not sure about warrenty or anything, best you enquire at said place..

Leandro
28th August 2005, 05:48 PM
Actualy guys doing this isnt that hard at all

Leandro
28th August 2005, 06:03 PM

1. Take out your dash (just make sure you watch out for that lil clock surround as they seem to break very easily.

2. Once the entire dash is out get some fine sand paper and sand the entire bastard down as best you can without taking it shreds.

3. If you have craks and all the rest in there just get some masking tape and double up over the cracks 2 layers over the entire dash is what did

4. Once this is done get your vynil ( i bought mine from bunnings whorehouse works good easy to clean)

5. Get an ashesive cement for upholstery i bought one at autobarn for 15 bucks i think it was and its great shit.

6. spray both the dash and the vynil thoroughly and leave them apart for at least 10 min to get the glue tacky....

Now the hard bit .....

When you lay the vynil on make sure you fold it in half and the lay from the middle outwards. get that ? in the corner near where the drivers instruments come out is what i think im trying to say

It take 2 people and hair dryer to strech the shit oout properly so judt be warned it sucks

When youve done everything all thats left to do is to to cut out the vent holes and plug them up.

And because i cant explain for shit if any of you guys are in the brisbane area and woudl ike to do it im more that happy to help you guys out so ong as its on a a weekend lol

leandro

flamingheads
28th August 2005, 06:34 PM
Thats what I was suggesting, but just doing it over the instruments (cause thats where my cracks are and im too lazy to take the dash out).
But your new vinal dash looks pretty nice.

Leandro
28th August 2005, 06:39 PM
that would work two then just cut out the inserts

yeah as for the dash the photo doesnt do it justice its pretty shinney and with some interior cleaner it looks like it was done professionallly

but yeah everything u need u can get from bunnings whorehouse and autobarn

simple actually .....

LEando

DRFT - 86
28th August 2005, 10:21 PM
cool, ....
anyone know if its all good to use armor all on vinal sprayed things...............??

Leandro
29th August 2005, 09:26 PM
yeah it should be fine iver been doi it for months now and it hasnt done any damage so yeah should be fine

leandro

DRFT - 86
29th August 2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Leandro@Aug 29 2005, 08:26 PM
yeah it should be fine iver been doi it for months now and it hasnt done any damage so yeah should be fine

leandro
is that ur vinaled dash, or actual things that have been painted with vinal spray....??

Leandro
31st August 2005, 04:16 PM
Both resprayed the enitre car inside just about and re vinyled the dash and yeah nothing so far i use it in everything

even my centre consol i sprayed that with vynel spray and i clean it once a week with armoral

DRFT - 86
31st August 2005, 08:58 PM
cool, just needed some reasurance before I tried it...
thanx

FilthinRich
1st September 2005, 10:14 AM
im just thinkin if you filled the cracks wouldnt they just crack up again?

FilthinRich
11th September 2005, 02:03 PM
Can anybody tell me where the bolts are to get the dash out?

FilthinRich
11th September 2005, 11:27 PM
Contemplating whether to go the vinyl or bog WHAT ONE???

VIC_AE86
12th September 2005, 03:49 PM
Bog just re cracks!!

86WANNABE
15th December 2005, 04:04 PM
DASHBOARD DOCTOR ( LMAO but it is true )
71 SYDNEY ROAD
COBURG
VIC 3058
(03) 9383 6861

And if I remember its about $200 and that is fully restored.

Only bloke in all of AUS that does it that I'm aware off

Hope that helps

scoot
15th December 2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by 86WANNABE@Dec 15 2005, 03:04 PM
DASHBOARD DOCTOR ( LMAO but it is true )
71 SYDNEY ROAD
COBURG
VICÂÂÂ# ÂÂÂ# 3058
(03) 9383 6861
heh heh... anyone here watch "The Late Show" back in the day??

Mick Molloy and Tony Martin used to do a skit on weird shops in Melbourne...

"This dashboard is in really bad shape, Tones... what can we do?" http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

"To the Dashboard Doctor!" http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

EDIT: and just to be useful, i'll post you some pics of my reskinned dash when i get home from work. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/blink.gif

scoot
15th December 2005, 09:36 PM
from this;

http://www.apex.net.au/~danorms/olddash.JPG

to this;

http://www.apex.net.au/~danorms/dashnew3.JPG

http://www.apex.net.au/~danorms/dash7.JPG

Monk
15th December 2005, 09:39 PM
Heres a quarter of my dash..
and ill give you a hint.. bog wont fix the cracks.. think bubbles instead http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

.wolfwood
16th December 2005, 08:15 AM
sscoot were the fu ck did you get that done, loks like a brand new dash

86WANNABE
16th December 2005, 10:36 AM
Did you reskin that yourself or through a company?

scoot
16th December 2005, 11:25 AM
done professionally. that's what you'll get from a place like the Dashboard Doctor, or anywhere that can vaccuum-mould vinyl. cost me about $250 i think. i'll dig up the receipt tonight.

TGZ DR10VE
16th December 2005, 11:43 AM
hey filthin rich, where abouts are u located? im in sydney and my cousine can do triming he has trimmed his dash and everthing i his 300zx and is gonna do mine in my sprinter, if u want u can come down and have a look and he will yours if u want for cheap mate, just let me know, sunny.

86WANNABE
17th December 2005, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by scoot@Dec 16 2005, 08:25 AM
done professionally. that's what you'll get from a place like the Dashboard Doctor, or anywhere that can vaccuum-mould vinyl. cost me about $250 i think. i'll dig up the receipt tonight.
Yeah I couldnt remember the price exactly but I remember the quality of work was excellent.

FilthinRich
17th December 2005, 07:25 PM
thanks for the offer TGZ but im stuck all the way up north in darwin..

ArJay
23rd December 2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Leandro@Aug 28 2005, 05:03 PM

1. Take out your dash (just make sure you watch out for that lil clock surround as they seem to break very easily.

2. Once the entire dash is out get some fine sand paper and sand the entire bastard down as best you can without taking it shreds.

3. If you have craks and all the rest in there just get some masking tape and double up over the cracks 2 layers over the entire dash is what did

4. Once this is done get your vynil ( i bought mine from bunnings whorehouse works good easy to clean)

5. Get an ashesive cement for upholstery i bought one at autobarn for 15 bucks i think it was and its great shit.

6. spray both the dash and the vynil thoroughly and leave them apart for at least 10 min to get the glue tacky....

Now the hard bit .....

When you lay the vynil on make sure you fold it in half and the lay from the middle outwards. get that ? in the corner near where the drivers instruments come out is what i think im trying to say

It take 2 people and hair dryer to strech the shit oout properly so judt be warned it sucks

When youve done everything all thats left to do is to to cut out the vent holes and plug them up.

And because i cant explain for shit if any of you guys are in the brisbane area and woudl ike to do it im more that happy to help you guys out so ong as its on a a weekend lol

leandro
Tried this last night on a spare dash I had laying around....holy shit...what a whore...

Man Leandro you must have the patience of a budhist monk cause it's super difficult to get the vinyl on without it bubbling and sticking together. I commend you for your know how.

I'll try again tonight but doing it by yourself is highly not recommended.

ArJay http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

blu 86
24th December 2005, 08:18 AM
im telling you now get someone to do it because it took me 4 attemps and two dashes to make the finished product i got a nife and cut out most of raised bits of dash and then filled with expander foam (being scared this point wtf am im doing)after it dries get a grinder with a sanding disk (60grit)and sand smooth all done. you need atleat three people to do it one to hold up while one is hair drying and one to push and mould..
never agian need lots of paitence..
sorry about images to big

blu 86
24th December 2005, 08:19 AM
this was my 3rd attemp

ArJay
25th December 2005, 01:42 AM
Ya jeeze thanks for the pics Blu...and the advice. I'll take it.....

Tried again last night but this morn when I got up all my hard work was bubbled and creased to shit. A pity cause I thought I'd almost nailed it the second time around. Worked from one end and sprayed and layed as I went. Should have known it wasn't that easy...it's the change in direction around the console that is causing the biggest headaches.

I bought a dash mat from the boys at AJPS which I've thrown on the existing dash. Actually look a lot better than I thought it was going to.

Called a place last week called Dash Original (http://www.dashoriginal.com.au) and was tenatively quoted $330 to have it remoulded etc. In no major rush but that looks to be the avenue for the future.

R:)

20vmotorsport
25th December 2005, 03:12 AM
get it trimmed in some black suede with yellow or red stiching http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif

Beserker99
25th December 2005, 04:46 AM
Daymn, that's the craziest place to put ya cd player. I'm guessing you got rid of all ya heater bits O_o

blu 86
26th December 2005, 11:06 PM
na heater is down the bottom the cd player was boxed in the air vent mmm fibreglass your friend if you no how to use it.and no i didnt glass the cd player to the vent ill get pics tommorow

Sprinterboy
28th December 2005, 03:58 PM
I got me a reco'd dash alonmg with a complete interior off a mate of mine with wrote of his 86, i've been thinking of retrimimg my old one as it's in very very bad condition too

blu 86
28th December 2005, 10:07 PM
that dash is dumped or get it re vacumed

DavisJD
3rd January 2006, 05:31 PM
I got me a reco'd dash alonmg with a complete interior off a mate of mine with wrote of his 86, i've been thinking of retrimimg my old one as it's in very very bad condition too
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/uploads/post-9-1135745990.jpg[/b]
what do you mean? that dash is in mint condition!!!

Haha seriouslly though, i only had 2 cracks down my dash, ive used some selly's no more gaps to fill the in!!! And sanded it all back, then resprayed the whole dash. Anybody gone this avenue before, i.e will it look like crap again in a month!?

Can post up some before and after pics if your interested