PDA

View Full Version : Pistons

sic86
7th September 2005, 09:40 AM
Is there any point putting Forged Pistons in a N/A 16V 4AGE? Would there be any advantage over the standard ACL or Pro-torque/Garrmaxx ones?

Cheers

driftae86
7th September 2005, 10:35 PM
i think the advantage is that the engine would be able to handle more abuse. maybe allow higher revs, make it able to handle higher compression. things like that.

you would be able to do further mods without having to worry about the engine dying.

correct me if im wrong

Monster
8th September 2005, 12:36 PM
Not only will it be able to handle higher compression, it also creates higher compression, what you need is a set of very sexual TODA forgies wich bimps the compression up to 11.0:1

The biggest problems with all 4AGE (16v and 20v) is the crank... its far from straight, if you can get this balanced and anything else, they can take a fair bit of abuse.

DO NOT USE ARP STUDS ON ALLOY BLOCKS!!!

rthy
8th September 2005, 07:58 PM
in theory the engine can becaome more responsive and have more power with lighter pistons alone, This is due to a less inertia losses.

Loki Boyracer: 4age cranks are fine even with a severe amount of abuse, balancing might help but they sure as hell aint a normal weakness. As for the ARP studs in alloy blocks, I don't know about that but the 4age block is cast iron...

Monster
9th September 2005, 10:23 AM
SAM Q: Which is fine... but whats the head made out of???

And as far as the cranks, talk to my mate... Ben at Bel garage, he'll give you the ins and out on how shit the cranks anre from factory!!!

rthy
9th September 2005, 05:48 PM
yeah fair enough but a head isnt a block, more of a misunderstanding than anything else. So now onto the next thing why can't you use arp bits on an aluminium casting? I am not arguing this but I have never heard it before, do you know why?

With the cranks I am not arging how well balanced they are from factory, I wouldnt know, I was talking about the abuse they can take only. I used the info I got from Bill sherwoods site:

"The 4AGZE and the 20v engines all have the 42mm crank.
Both cranks are extremely strong, and only break with quite a bit of mis-treatment."

he has raced and engine and kept it on 8500 revs for extended periods of time, thats 1000 revs above the soft limit of a bigport

oh also off topic if you dont mind me asking do you know what power figure you got for your car at the wheels on the dyno? I have been trying to work out I will get with what I am doing.