PDA

View Full Version : ae86 lower lip? ozspec vs jdm??

dori_86
10th September 2005, 08:20 PM
hey everyone
just a couple of questions, Meridian Motorsports sells the lower lip for the 86 but say it only fits the jdm bumpers.

which confused the hell out of me as they both look the same. also i thought to myself why would they produce two different but yet 99% identical fron bumpers, as this would have cost them more? http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/huh.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/huh.gif

another point is that i checked out my front bumber and theres holes on the bottom which suggest to me that the lip would bolt -up to it anyway?

any help would be appreciated

*sorry aout the poll, its bcos i stuffed up and couldnt be bothered fixing it to make it a normal post*

slide86
10th September 2005, 08:25 PM
it should fit a aussie bumper
im like 90% shure it will

the only thing i can think of is that it may be a new front bar that needs jdm bumper mounts

VIC_AE86
11th September 2005, 11:07 AM
It should fit a Aus without n e problems..

ae86 slide
11th September 2005, 06:42 PM
how much is it costing you

Joel-AE86
12th September 2005, 12:12 PM
How do lower lips attach anyway?

I got mine off a mate after it had been driven over like 4 times! I repaired it and simply screwed it to the bumper using some plastic screws.

The lip is a moulded JDM factory lip and fits no worries on an AUS bumper.

I love the look of a lip on a hachi, as it well suits the stock front bar and really adds to the car's aggressive appearance. However if you have the cash, an aftermarket front bar looks alot better. For practicality tho, if you plan on drifting the car, a low, fiberglass front bar will no doubt get damaged from time to time and is more difficult to repair and replace than a small lip.

dori_86
12th September 2005, 01:55 PM
it's $180 but im unsure if its plastic or fiberglass tho

crazy86
12th September 2005, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by Joel-AE86@Sep 12 2005, 11:12 AM
How do lower lips attach anyway?

I got mine off a mate after it had been driven over like 4 times! I repaired it and simply screwed it to the bumper using some plastic screws.
Yeah, I'd like to know how people have attached theirs.

I have a fibreglass JDM reproduction, and i dont want to butcher it to get it on. The ends near the wheel arches look like they will screw or poprivet on no fuss, but I think i would have to make up small brackets for the front edge to fix it on so it sits properly.

Or i could go the drift look and use Zip Ties http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/ph34r.gif

Joel-AE86
13th September 2005, 11:35 PM
Meh do whatever gets the thing to hold on. I use some plastite screws.

Plastic shit rocks...my lip has fallen off, been driven over 5x, been smashed into a wall...and its still pretty much in 1 piece and looks fine.

Yeh for factory injection moulding. An injection moulding tool to make a lip or a front bar could cost up to and over $80k.