PDA

View Full Version : shocks that fit

poh_86
21st September 2005, 10:38 PM
hi guys

was wondering what a good alternative to which shocks fit in the rears of the sprinter, mine are worn..

how much would it cost to re-sleeve (rebuild) them?

even though its not worth it..

but what about re-sleeving aftermarket shocks that are worn?

mattysshop
21st September 2005, 10:56 PM
i have temperarily used some KYB shocks that were ment for an RA40 Celica..if you have lowered springs..they are a good idea..because they are about 80mm shorter stroke than an AE86 item..and a bit stiffer in the valving..but for a bit more bound/rebound..i have heard to use a holden HQ 1 tonner rear shocks..about the same sorta free height as the RA40 one, but shit loads stiffer!

Matty

sic86
21st September 2005, 11:39 PM
What's your budget? Super Cheap/AutObarn etc. sells a brand called Gabriel, I would recommend them, try to get yourself some Monroe's but nothing lower than that.

Cheers

poh_86
22nd September 2005, 12:16 AM
hey matty thanks again for the help, what springs did u match with the ra40's and how much lower were the springs?

alan: how good are gabriel and whats the price range for a set of those...

seriously anything beats the shocks and springs than the originals, feels like im driving noahs arc
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

mattysshop
23rd September 2005, 02:17 PM
well i'm actually using RA40 factory spring at the moment..reset alot lower, they were reluctant to reset them as they said they were old and they only reset aftermarket springs..so i 2 pac blacked them..and used a brother P-touch to make up some lables that said AE86 in japanese he he he..they pretty damm stiff..i found this out because we were wrecking my old mans RA40..had a rebuilt 18R-G in it..but we put that in the tufflux.. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/wink.gif

Matty

sic86
23rd September 2005, 07:13 PM
If I remember ill try to get prices tomorrow for you.

Cheers

sic86
25th September 2005, 05:12 PM
Got some prices (prices don't include freight and can vary from store to store)
Monroe Shocks (Part No: 15-3143+) $99 a pair
Gabirel Standard (Part No: 81498) $47 each
Gabirel H/Duty (Part No: 69611) $54 each
Whiteline Springs (71210) $149 a pair
King Springs (STD or Low) $149 a pair

Cheers

RobertoX
25th September 2005, 05:19 PM
i wouldnt touch monroe or gabriel....

kyb is minimum........

NickAE86
25th September 2005, 07:54 PM
kyb, bilstein, tokico & koni if you go aftermarket.

ae86 slide
25th September 2005, 08:44 PM
suzuki seira front shocks sit well in the rear of lowered sprinters, very firm,

dale_8888
25th September 2005, 08:52 PM
What is a really good aftermarket coil-over set where the springs actually match the shocks? Are there many?

What Suspension components you guys recommend for drifting?

JDMJNKY
25th September 2005, 09:03 PM
dont know any better but i drift on kyb shorter stroke shocks and sum no name springs 6kg ive heard tokiko brand are better and cheaper than trd items!

jnr 13b
28th September 2005, 08:56 PM
hi guys
on the same topic. i need rear externally adjustable short stroke shock.

I know TRD is not a short stroke shock.

any idea where i can get externally adjustable short stroke shock for AE86.

money is only a small issue.

cheers
ps I need it to drift( so super stiff)
I already got Tanabe on my rear. but it not adjustable.

decoyslikecurves
28th September 2005, 09:36 PM
trd do make externably adj shocks, and some of the best there are for the ae86. tokico hts102r used to be king but alas, not anymore as they have ceased production.

My mate has some ultima suzuki sierra front shocks in the back of his, and they aare super stiff and super short... 50 bucks each...

as for what Im running... its a secret:)

decoyslikecurves
28th September 2005, 09:37 PM
if you want help with your suspension setups, ask dave (truenosedan) and he'll help you out. he knows what hes talking about.

blackers
7th October 2005, 06:55 PM
I have RAV4 Koni's in the front of my 86, top adjustable and easy to fit. I had to put a 10mm spacer ring under the bottom to make them fit properly ie the screwed nut at the top won't hold em in unless they are spaced up a little. The back is Koni adjustables also but for the 86. Guys in Perth, Peter at Wilkinson suspension is the guru, cheapish and prepared to share knowledge. He sold me a coilover kit for the front complete with springs (I had to fit them) for just under $350.
Cheers
Mark

Blood Child
3rd November 2005, 11:30 PM
just wondering if this kit from option 1 would be worth it for $1900
or should i try to sweet talk for a club discount?

Blood Child
3rd November 2005, 11:55 PM
another pic

EVIL 86
3rd November 2005, 11:56 PM
ive heard alright things about d2 coil overs plus as a bonus the camber tops come in the set so basically

-front coil-overs$900 to 1000
-rears-$500
-camber tops$300
-and all other fittings comes to over 1900 so to me thats a dman decent price but hey if we can get cheaper why not lol http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

Blood Child
4th November 2005, 12:08 AM
also, if i were to get this, which set would be best for mainly street use, but still with good slideways control?

DRFT - 86
4th November 2005, 03:44 PM
The D1 set looks nice.... seems very well priced to for the compnents included...... Id be keen for a group buy if I had the spare change...

ae71neo
4th November 2005, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by decoyslikecurves@Sep 28 2005, 08:36 PM
trd do make externably adj shocks, and some of the best there are for the ae86. tokico hts102r used to be king but alas, not anymore as they have ceased production.

My mate has some ultima suzuki sierra front shocks in the back of his, and they aare super stiff and super short... 50 bucks each...

as for what Im running... its a secret:)
Where do you get these 'Ultima' sierra shocks from? I hear everyone has them, but where do i get them from? Is ultima the brand?

crazy86
4th November 2005, 04:32 PM
Someone mentioned Gabriel shocks. I once had a set of Gabriels on my Peugeot 504, and they didnt last verry long at all. Might be ok for daily driver shopping trolleys, but not for anything that might get even the occasional spirited drive.
I replaced these with Ducarbons, best shocks i ever had on the pug (set up rally style), lasted ages, and i gave them an absolute hammering. I wouldnt know if you can get Ducarbons for an 86 though, or even if they still exist, as this was about 10-12 years ago.

b1gb3n
4th November 2005, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by CRAZY86@Nov 4 2005, 03:32 PM
Someone mentioned Gabriel shocks. I once had a set of Gabriels on my Peugeot 504, and they didnt last verry long at all. Might be ok for daily driver shopping trolleys, but not for anything that might get even the occasional spirited drive.
I replaced these with Ducarbons, best shocks i ever had on the pug (set up rally style), lasted ages, and i gave them an absolute hammering. I wouldnt know if you can get Ducarbons for an 86 though, or even if they still exist, as this was about 10-12 years ago.
u must be an old man!!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

crazy86
5th November 2005, 08:45 PM
Quiet you http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

StockAE86
6th November 2005, 09:10 AM
If you want a cheap set of shocks for the rear.
Get some Pedders sports ryder HK-HG ute shocks, they bolt straight in and rrp is $180 a pair or sumfin, quite stiff too.
If you want the part number let me know, I will find it

Cheers
Shtock

RobertoX
6th November 2005, 12:08 PM
pedders = monroe = p00

StockAE86
6th November 2005, 12:41 PM
meh, they do the job for the price.
The stuff that they have listed for the 86 prolly isnt that good but the mismatched parts that i have in mine are quite good.
Besides, i didnt pay a cent for my suspension setup.

Cheers
Shtock

rallystanza
6th November 2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by truenosedan@Nov 6 2005, 11:08 AM
pedders = monroe = p00
He he,

The setup in the rear of stocky's sprinter works damn wel and is very stiff....with a 3.Xkg/mm rate spring in there!

Get these shocks with a harder spring rate and they would be great!

I have Tokiko HTS102's all round in my sprinter and they are eternally adjustable and are very short stroke, awesome shock.

Jezza

mc68
6th November 2005, 02:22 PM
d2 = absolute shit house.

friends had them in their wrx'/liberties, 2 struts from two cars had to be sent back within 3 months...the shock just seized.

same goes for whiteline G4's.

put some dms in...fixed http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

then again, too bad dms dont manke anything for the 86 http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

ae71neo
7th November 2005, 07:58 AM
For the sierra shocks, does it matter what year model they are meant for?

Wezelton
8th November 2005, 03:07 PM
The kyb suzuki shocks are OK, yeah there short and there stiff enough i guess.. The gabriel blue rider shocks are super stiff, like 3 or 4 times stiffer than the kyb's, the hilux shocks fit, there short enough but depends on how low your car is, i did find another set of blue riders which were even stiffer again and shorter, but they were too fat at the top. Best thing to do is go to a parts shop like repco for example and just measure n try. Tokikos would probably be the best option in my oppinion but not all of us are loaded either lol

ae71neo
8th November 2005, 09:39 PM
So you are saying that the gabriel blue rider suzuki is the pick of the bunch other than tokicos? are the hilux shocks shorter than the sierra's?

ae71neo
9th November 2005, 03:40 PM
Just a little research at my local super cheap...

Sierra
Brand: Red Ryder
Price:$ 34.99
Ext: 399
Com: 250

Brand: Gas Ryder
Price: $44.99
Ext: 416
Com: 253

Hilux
Brand: Gas Ryder
Price: $44.99
Ext: 347
Com: 230

Brand: Blue Ryder
Price: $99.50
Ext: 347
Com: 242

Julz01
14th November 2005, 08:50 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on whiteline products, I know that there suspension components are highly regarded but I havnt heard anyone comment on there adjustable shocks.

They make a kit for the sprinter that I might get pending price, or ill just get some Kyb agx adjustables

Hyuga
15th November 2005, 01:55 AM
ae71neo, they are for the rears right?
what do you guys use on the front?
also whats the optimum length(ext/comp) for a 40mm lowered hachi?

RobertoX
15th November 2005, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Julz01@Nov 18 2005, 01:50 PM
Does anyone have an opinion on whiteline products, I know that there suspension components are highly regarded but I havnt heard anyone comment on there adjustable shocks.

They make a kit for the sprinter that I might get pending price, or ill just get some Kyb agx adjustables
whiteline are a good business, i am a distributor, some of their parts are good, some are junk...good range of cars catered for...

they use mostly koni shocks in their adjustable shocks, they are ok...not short stroke or anything...

KYB AGX? they arent made for ae86...although we stock the ones that fit... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

they are great, brad (customer) seems to like them...

ae71neo
15th November 2005, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Hyuga@Nov 15 2005, 12:55 AM
ae71neo, they are for the rears right?
what do you guys use on the front?
also whats the optimum length(ext/comp) for a 40mm lowered hachi?
Yeah they are the front shocks for the rear of our cars.
In the front im using KYB short stroke in coilovers.
Not sure about ride height question, im ordering sierra's tomorrow so i will let you know how they go with falcon springs.

ae71neo
16th November 2005, 05:20 PM
shit, i didnt find out, does it matter what year sierra they are from?

psi_72
17th November 2005, 08:16 PM
the sierra shock is like an 84 or 87 oe something i think, just go into or call a pedders store they will be able to look it up an tell u

ae71neo
18th November 2005, 07:36 AM
Thanks mate. Yeah the one i was looking at i think was 84-88 or something. I guess thats the one then.

ae71neo
19th November 2005, 08:02 AM
I ordered the sierras yesterday. It was the same part number for 81-88 and 84-87.