PDA

View Full Version : Axle for T series 86 diffs

mattysshop
27th September 2005, 08:22 AM
hey, after braking many crownwheel/pinions, axles, and gear boxes..(motors too but who's counting) thought this might help..

when i broke my frist axle..i couldn't find any T-18's at the wreckers at all..and i needed some axles!! so i went to an RA40 Celica..and pinched them out of that..only thing i needed to do was cut the spline down about 4mm (there is plenty on the other side for engagement still, you'll see what i mean) the bearings/seals etc are the same, how ever i have noticed that if you ask for the rear wheel bearing kits for an RA40, they seem to be cheaper than the kits for T-18's for some reason even though they are the same part number! if they ask you what there out of..say a corona..mention a celica and they will charge you double the price!!

Matty

mattysshop
27th September 2005, 08:24 AM
also..if you break an crownwheel/pinion..the RA40 diff would be good to get one from..T292 which tanslates to T seires.. 4.11.. open centre where as the T-18 diff is a 3.7

Matty

DRFTAE86
27th September 2005, 11:40 AM
Thanks mate! That is seriously very helpful (to me anyway!).

Its hard to come across t-18 complete rear ends let alone just the axles.

Cheers for the info! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

SPEEDCORE
27th September 2005, 01:07 PM
Watch the RA40 axle hoarding begin! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif

chrisellis
27th September 2005, 02:01 PM
will the ta22 axles fit??

[MET]
27th September 2005, 02:14 PM
i heard that TA22 axles/diff was slightly longer than needed for T18/JDM T-series, but the diff centres can be used

mattysshop
27th September 2005, 03:28 PM
hang on i'll mesure one of my spare twisted, but not yet broken 86 axles..so you can mesure yourself..

jnr 13b
28th September 2005, 08:08 PM
so what you are saying is the RA40axles will fit in the JDM housing after 4mm shaving on both axles?

but the JDM axles has a large(double bearing) on them. what so you do with that?
I know that the RA40 centre will fit in JDM housing.
But you can only use Zenki axles(24mm and 23slpine) only.
but if you wanna change the centre. you can run what ever centre you want.( depending on the axles)

CAE86
28th September 2005, 09:35 PM
I know the TA22 axles won't fit into a T18 rear end, cos I tried it once when I had both sitting in my garage. The bearings on the TA22 are a smaller diameter to the T18 ones. Dunno if you could just put the T18 bearings on and slot it in, but there is only one way to find out i suppose.

mattysshop
28th September 2005, 11:13 PM
hang on fellas..i said T-18 housing..not the JDM rolla bearing type housing..those you work out on your own..i have the advantage that my coupe had the drum T-18 type rear end fitted in japan, with TRD 2 way, and 4.3 TRD pinion/crownwheel (RIP)

jnr 13b
28th September 2005, 11:38 PM
mate that is not a T-18 diff.
it is a JDM hachi diff. they do come in drum brakes on the JDM hachi too.

mattysshop
29th September 2005, 08:12 AM
did i say it came from a T-18? i said type..eg small wheel bearings etc.. whats with all the defensivness? i'm trying to help people out with this! if you had read the post properly in the first place, we wouldn't be talking right now..my diff in my 86' JDM 86 coupe has the 'small' bearing T series diff..factory 4AGE, no pwr steer, or aircon fitted, has the lightweight 2 peice back seat..(not the split fold one) and whiteline tail lights.... any way..ON TOPIC again..

mattysshop
29th September 2005, 03:29 PM
just a random pic of one of my many broken/twisted axles.. http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif

jnr 13b
29th September 2005, 08:34 PM
i ihave a mate that have a RA40 axles that you can try out or buy it off him.
He has a hold RA40 just sitting there.

let me know if you wanna try it out

mattysshop
30th September 2005, 08:05 AM
there ya go boys! if you have any broken ones go see him, and get one of these out..i have a pair of shortend RA40 axles in my car at the moment..so i can pull them out if you wanna have a closer look, i just used a grinder cos i needed them on the spot..i would have taken them to my mate workshop and put them in the lath..but you know..

RobertoX
17th October 2005, 02:29 AM
i was under the impression that all JDM ae86 were disc rear, with 3 axle variations available.

jack cuu has a super early diff with differnet looking splines to "zenki" and "kokui", his is also disc

i think the jdm drum rear was some bullshit coughed up by HPI (beau yates feature), as im 99% sure it was an s series locker

mattysshop
17th October 2005, 08:28 AM
read the post!!! it says T-18 type rear end!!! not JDM tpye..

slide86
17th October 2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by truenosedan@Oct 17 2005, 01:29 AM
i was under the impression that all JDM ae86 were disc rear, with 3 axle variations available.

jack cuu has a super early diff with differnet looking splines to "zenki" and "kokui", his is also disc

i think the jdm drum rear was some bullshit coughed up by HPI (beau yates feature), as im 99% sure it was an s series locker
20v Turbo with an S Series locker
hmmm i dunno about that one http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

Wally
17th October 2005, 11:34 AM
im running a stock s series (open) ...

its gunna fall apart soon!... especially its getting worked by a turbo and 150rwkw http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/dry.gif

mattysshop
17th October 2005, 01:43 PM
if you leave it open it's alright..i bet if that was locked..or LSD equiped you would have broken many crown wheel/pinions!

RobertoX
17th October 2005, 05:49 PM
it says early term jdm im sure....

s series are weak but they can hold up to some abuse, joel used one in his drift car for 2 or 3 events, and didnt break...

JDM86
17th October 2005, 11:10 PM
Matty, I finally got my billet axles for my JDM Diff. They are really awesome. I shouldn't bend any of these buggers, well not with the 4AGE. But with the F20C..... Now there's another story!!!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/biggrin.gif

crazy86
17th October 2005, 11:34 PM
Did you get them machined locally? I have been looking into getting some steel ones made up as "club" spares, but so far the cost is a little higher than Toyota. I was going to send an old axle off to get tested to find the hardness and tensile strength, then get some made out of something stronger so they are less likely to break.

chapl
29th October 2005, 03:47 PM
say i pulled apart a T series, then put it back together, does it matter if a left side axle goes in the right side? i mean are they the same or is there a right and left side axle????

cheers

JDMJNKY
29th October 2005, 10:53 PM
chapl: there the same left and right

chapl
30th October 2005, 01:08 PM
cheers dude.

mattysshop
31st October 2005, 07:48 AM
AHHHH!!!!!! don't swap sides!! never ever do that..all it's life the axle has been stressed heated etc etc twisting one way..if you swap them around..you'll be pulling out a snapped axle soon..they are identicle either side..so just make sure you mark with some white out D & P (driver/passenger)

have a look in one of my posts on page 1..thats what will happen if you not carful..i had to hammer out the 2" of spline that was left in my LSD with a socket extension!

Matty

chapl
31st October 2005, 09:56 AM
oh ok cool. cheers for that! yeh i broke one the other week. was just checking thats all. but ill make sure ill get a side i have broken.
cheers

slydar
16th November 2005, 06:30 PM
you can definately get a jdm 86 with standard drum rear brakes, theres one in the back yard...

JDMJNKY
17th November 2005, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Mattysshop@Oct 31 2005, 06:48 AM
AHHHH!!!!!! don't swap sides!! never ever do that..all it's life the axle has been stressed heated etc etc twisting one way..if you swap them around..you'll be pulling out a snapped axle soon..they are identicle either side..so just make sure you mark with some white out D & P (driver/passenger)

have a look in one of my posts on page 1..thats what will happen if you not carful..i had to hammer out the 2" of spline that was left in my LSD with a socket extension!

Matty
in all my days of thrashing rwd cars with weldies i have never broken an axle and have never taken notice of which one goes back in which side. That being said your idea sounds feaseable

Steve-AE86
24th November 2005, 07:53 PM
early 83 model JDM AE86's called GT's had a drum rear t-series diff.

they had the smaller axle bearing, and were basically a t-18 diff.

beau yates did in fact start off with a locked s-series diff, which he used at the first FLM nats he won in sydney, but then changed to a GT drum diff, which he had in his car for ages, but has since changed it to a t-18 diff, as the JDM one had a bent housing.

these early diffs were zenki.

Rick Drew has one in his trueno coupe.