PDA

View Full Version : Spring Rate

jnr 13b
29th September 2005, 08:10 PM
hi all

I'm just interested in what people use for springs rate. i'm look at getting new set up for my car.

and does it matter if it in a coil over or not?

I want something that is good for drift and circuit racing as well.

cheer

dori_86
29th September 2005, 08:38 PM
i think people r using 6kg and 8kg ask truenosedan as he supply's them and will probly b able 2 answer all q's

jnr 13b
29th September 2005, 10:06 PM
what is at the front and what rate at the back?

crazy86
29th September 2005, 10:21 PM
The front is always the heavier rate, as 1, it has to hold up the engine, and 2, the front of the car takes more of a "hit" from the road surface than the rear.
a few people use 6-8, some use 5-7, some even use 4-6. Depends on what shocks you are using and how much adjustment you have.
I was watching a car at the track the other day, and its back end was bouncing all over the place. all because the shocks were set to hard for the springs.
A lot of people like hard settings for track work, but its down to personal preference. There is even a top level drifter in Japan using 4.8 rear and 7 front, which isnt all that hard really (and that made me quite pleased, cos thats the rate I'm using http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif )

jnr 13b
29th September 2005, 11:54 PM
it alway good for the d1 to have the same set up as you do http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/smile.gif
with the 6-8.
do you mean 8kg at the front and 6kg at the back?

it will be an adjustable shock so i can adjust the damper to suit the springs.(i guess)

Sprinterboy
30th September 2005, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by CRAZY86@Sep 29 2005, 09:21 PM
The front is always the heavier rate, as 1, it has to hold up the engine, and 2, the front of the car takes more of a "hit" from the road surface than the rear.
a few people use 6-8, some use 5-7, some even use 4-6. Depends on what shocks you are using and how much adjustment you have.
I was watching a car at the track the other day, and its back end was bouncing all over the place. all because the shocks were set to hard for the springs.
A lot of people like hard settings for track work, but its down to personal preference. There is even a top level drifter in Japan using 4.8 rear and 7 front, which isnt all that hard really (and that made me quite pleased, cos thats the rate I'm using http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/cool.gif )
how stiff is the ride with those rates?

chrisellis
30th September 2005, 12:56 AM
8kg front and 6kg rear will suit track and drift, some track hachi's run up to 12kg front 11kg rear, but u wouldnt want this on the street.

Coilovers have the advantages of being height adjustable, and giving more room for the wheels, if ur running something seriously wide.

decoyslikecurves
30th September 2005, 01:58 AM
for grip driving, you want lower spring rates with bigger sway bars... something like 6f and 4r would be very very nice with some big ass swaybars... that way the car isn't harsh, is nice and controllable and has little body roll.

it all depends.

jnr 13b
30th September 2005, 06:30 AM
well with all that
I think i might do 7kg front and 5kg rear.
i want it for a little bit of both.
I'll just adjust the stock to be super stiff on drift day:)

cheer guys

mattysshop
30th September 2005, 08:22 AM
a wise man once said..you can get away with a bad spring choice, if you have good shocks, but you cant hide a bad shock with a good spring..

had got some hight adjustable coilovers made for the front of mine real cheap..and got them cut down so i could fit AE92 inserts in..at the moment i am using TRD yellow shocks..and my front springs are a measly 250lbs/in (king spring cartridge type springs) but i wanna get some AE92 koni adjustables for the front..and some 400lbs/in..and on the rear i want to run some 'different' shocks (thanks to darren at fulcrum) funnily enough they ARE the ones from the V8 brute utes..and a 5kg/mm or 300lbs/in in the rear..i have whiteline adjustable sway bars coming..and i think that the swaybars are an AWSOME investment!

to get lbs/in to kg/mm do.. a X .45 = b and for kg/mm to lbs/in do b / .45 = a

Matty

crazy86
30th September 2005, 08:35 AM
Verry true words those^^^^^

Spend your cash on good shocks, Springs are cheap by comparison, so you can always buy another set to get things right.

As for how my springs feel (4.8-7) the ride is tolerable on a daily basis, is fantastic on the touge, and drifts quite nicely as well. I have fully adjustable sway bars, so i can always adjust them in and out for different applications, but so far i have'nt had the need (need to practice my drifting more). It is true that 6-8 and higher is the most common setup for drift, but remember drift isnt necessarily about having hard suspension to loose grip, on the contrary, its about high speed, and to be able to controll a drift at high speed requires a setup very similar to circuit racers, the main difference is how you drive it.

dale_8888
30th September 2005, 11:25 AM
So 5-7 would be good for street and high speed drift?

What sort of coil-overs are suggested that are good for adjusting to this pressure, where the shocks adn the springs actually match?

crazy86
30th September 2005, 01:48 PM
There arent many coilovers to choose for the 86. Most people make their own coilovers from original struts. Mine are Cusco tops on sprinter struts, mr2drift uses cusco tops on MR2 struts, you can also get Fulcrum tops etc.
Just choose a good quality adjustable sports/racing shock, and you should be able to adjust the damping to the spring rate you choose.

mattysshop
30th September 2005, 02:00 PM
my coupe, and my mate hatch are actually the pilot cars for fulcrums range they have just desinged for the the rear..YES THE REAR height adjustable coilovers..fit in with no modifications other than a little massage, and i mean a little! to the shock mount/wall thing..i'll get some pictures up..but yeh, using a full monotube gas/oil strut used in the V8 Brute utes, with a 300lbs linier rate spring..ohh my..it makes a stock sprinter cry with the way it handles..PICS SOON!

mumblezzz
30th September 2005, 03:37 PM
18F 12R Sik! You'll drift really well with these...

crazy86
30th September 2005, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Mattysshop@Sep 30 2005, 01:00 PM
my coupe, and my mate hatch are actually the pilot cars for fulcrums range they have just desinged for the the rear..YES THE REAR height adjustable coilovers..fit in with no modifications other than a little massage, and i mean a little! to the shock mount/wall thing..i'll get some pictures up..but yeh, using a full monotube gas/oil strut used in the V8 Brute utes, with a 300lbs linier rate spring..ohh my..it makes a stock sprinter cry with the way it handles..PICS SOON!
Im Excited!!! *arms jiggle for extra 45 seconds*

Post up a thread soon!!

jnr 13b
30th September 2005, 08:56 PM
ok i was talking to a guy about these coilover set up, it set from factory made for drift.
the spring rate is 7kg at the front and 9kg at the rear.
does this sound right.

why would you need it to be hard at the rear. i acn understand that you wanna break traction but i guess that would make the rear more bouching than the front.

i still really. when you guys talk 6kg and 8kg can you please specify front and rear please.

thanks heaps for the reply

crazy86
2nd October 2005, 04:39 PM
Front is always the bigger number. If those number you were told were correct, then they dont know what theyre doing.

jnr 13b
3rd October 2005, 11:18 AM
go you guys reckon 7kg or 8kg front is better.
well with the rear i can change it after 6months of testing any way.
I'm going to try the 9kg rear as that is factory setting for sprinter.
cheer

mattysshop
3rd October 2005, 01:51 PM
9kg rear factory for an AE86!!!! i don't think so..it's more like 3.5 if that my friend..

RobertoX
3rd October 2005, 02:20 PM
rear spring rate factory is more like 2kg/mm and 370mm free height or so

crazy86
3rd October 2005, 03:06 PM
If you go 7 front and 9 rear then you will have a POS to drive.

jnr 13b
4th October 2005, 01:16 PM
what do yo umean by "a POS to drive?"

jnr 13b
4th October 2005, 01:22 PM
you mean a peice of S**T to drive.
cheer
so i guess 7kg front and 5Kg rear is the way to go

mattysshop
4th October 2005, 01:36 PM
thats what i am aiming for with mine..i want it to be setup for both circut and drift.. 7 and 5 would be a nice setup for the street also, not too harsh..

jnr 13b
4th October 2005, 02:42 PM
sound like 7 and 5kg would be the way to go.
but would 8kg and 6kg would e a huge differrent

jnr 13b
4th October 2005, 02:47 PM
sound like 7 and 5kg would be the way to go.
but would 8kg and 6kg would Be a HUGE differrent

mattysshop
4th October 2005, 03:28 PM
no not really, just feel a bit firmer..but i would look into some bracing and a rollcage..it's getting pretty damm stiff for a 20year old car!

jnr 13b
4th October 2005, 04:36 PM
sound good. let me know when you get it because i need cage for my car too