PDA

View Full Version : sway bar

jnr 13b
6th October 2005, 08:56 PM
just interested on what you guys use on you car front and rear.
plus why did you use that size.

Leandro
6th October 2005, 09:44 PM
I have a 20 mm front sway bar from japan as far as i can make out and on the rear i run a 18 mm whiteline 4 point adjustable sway bar

the front one was alwaysa in there so i threw the rear in to try and stiffen things up

works pretty well with the rear sway bar on the middle setting it handles like a track car good for grip but if you tighten the sway bar that it your going slideways

crazy86
7th October 2005, 12:16 AM
Whiteline adjustable front n rear. Good suspension set up shouldnt need sway bars, but they make it handy when your car is a compromise between street/track/drift. (ever seen an F1 car with sway bars?)

RobertoX
7th October 2005, 09:12 AM
ÂÂÂ# (ever seen an F1 car with sway bars?)[/b]

No but I've seen them with anti roll bars ;D....

But you are right, ideally a sway bar should only be really needed on one end of the car set as low as possible to balance the roll resistance of the end that has a higher roll. It can be used to adjust the balance from over>neutral>under.

But its a different story with a street car when a lot more compromises are made...

On my sprinter I'll soon be going whiteline adjustable front and rear.

crazy86
7th October 2005, 10:16 AM
hehe, you know, i was going to call them anti roll bars, but then i thought no-one would know what i was talking about.

And yes f1 cars did, but I cant recall having seen any on them in the last 10 years at least (since the mid 80's anyway)

mattysshop
7th October 2005, 01:52 PM
whiteline adjustable ones front and rear are on the way..each adjustment up (tighter) makes them feel like a thicker bar, approx 1mm at a time..which is approx 43% stiffer! so 3 hole on an 18mm bar, would make it feel like you have a 21-22mm bar in there!

mattysshop
7th October 2005, 01:53 PM
you can see in my avatar..thats me drifting cassian (D1 spec) car..it didn't have the sway bar on as he just did his T seires conversion..you car see the rear lean right over!

jnr 13b
7th October 2005, 03:16 PM
to conclude this matter
I don't really need sway bar up grade.
I have stock front and 18mm rear. it shoul be right with good suspension

crazy86
7th October 2005, 03:43 PM
well, yes and no. It should be right with good suspension set up for one application. If you are also planning to drive your car on the road, i would at least get an adjustable rear, as a real "drift" rear setup would be pretty damn dodgy on the road, especially in the wet.

But then again, Want and Need are two different things. You dont really need anything special to drift, just a locker/lsd would help.